User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Default What are female INTPs like?

So I've been dating this girl for a few months. When I first got into MBTI she took an online test and came up as a ISFJ, but she never really seemed like the other ISFJs I had met. She said some of the things in the description made sense to her (especially the concept of being introverted), but it wasn't perfect. More recently she took a test in one of my personality types books and that put her as an INTP, however she doesn't really remind me of the other (male) INTPs I have met, either. I do think she's closer to INTP than ISFJ though.

The big problem is she shows me very little intuition. She prefers to talk about all the things that happened throughout the day in great detail and does very little of what I would consider N speculation. I asked her about this and she stated cryptically 'what if I just don't share?' or something to that effect. When I pressed she wouldn't explain it any further. She is very willing to follow me into whatever crazy territory I want to go, but doesn't add as much as I'd expect. My speculation on this is she does it because she doesn't feel like she knows enough about the subject to comment.

I considered ISTP, but she has none of the stereotypical SP traits: sense of adventures, a love of working with the hands on concrete things. She enjoys quiet activities and much prefers a intimidate night at home talking for hours in the candle light to going out and partying. She has also said that she much prefers to come up with the solution and let other people take care of the implementation. When I asked her if she could consider being an architect she said 'sure, as long as I didn't have to build anything'.

I asked her how she felt about the basic motivation of a type 5: Want to be capable and competent, to master a body of knowledge and skill. She smiled sheepishly and said 'now we don't know anyone like that, do we?'

She also very much reminds me of this girl who claims to be an INTP on youtube:

YouTube - INTP

I think its mostly the facial expressions and the eyes that resonate with me the most. Also the way she moves her head and her speech pattern.

So tell me, am I dating an INTP? If so why does she act so S?
    Last edited by Shinzon; 04-16-2009 at 09:03 AM.

MBTI
    INTJ

I think you may be putting too much stock in the MBTI. It is a very poor predictor of relationship success, as studies have shown. Its classification scheme is unfalsifiable as well so there's probably no way of telling whether she's actually an INTP or an ISFJ.

My advice: it just doesn't matter.
    Aleph-One, you look like the kind of person who would spend his spare time building a giant robot to hold the government for ransom. -Some Guy on the Internet

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    ILE None

because she's an isfj .?

My mom could seem INT to an untrained eye (she's isfj).
    Expression of the post modern paradox : "For the love of god, religions are so full of shit"

Theory is always superseded by Fact...
    ... In theory.

“I’d hate to die twice. It’s so boring.”
    Richard Feynman's last recorded words

"Great is the human who has not lost his childlike heart."
    Mencius (Meng-Tse), 4th century BCE

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by Aleph-One View Post
    I think you may be putting too much stock in the MBTI. It is a very poor predictor of relationship success, as studies have shown. Its classification scheme is unfalsifiable as well so there's probably no way of telling whether she's actually an INTP or an ISFJ.

My advice: it just doesn't matter.
    I'm not basing whether or not our relationship will survive on MBTI; we had a successful relationship long before I was introduced to the cognitive functions. I sincerely doubt any rational person would ignore the feelings they have for someone because their zodiac signs are incompatible or their MBTI types don't match so I'm not sure why you'd even suggest something so obvious. What I would like is to understand her completely and MBTI is one tool of many in obtaining that goal. She can be a very cryptic girl sometimes and I need all the help I can get.

Quote Originally Posted by EcK View Post
    because she's an isfj .?

My mom could seem INT to an untrained eye (she's isfj).
    Could be, but she has very little of the rigidity I've seen in other SFJs. I'm not discounting ISFJ, but as I have never met a female INTP, I have no basis for comparison.

It also might be worth mentioning that she has very little interest in fashion, trends, doesn't wear makeup, etc and has said she's always felt like a bit of a tomboy. Those traits seem to suggest at least an ST.

MBTI
    ENTj
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    ENTj

Quote Originally Posted by Shinzon View Post
    If all INTP girls are like that I need to meet one.. now!

more on topic..
    I've never met an INTP girl so I can't really help you there, but considering the test results.. the only thing you can be sure of is Ixxx. I would either have her take the test again and/or have her get to know MBTI better. Or try getting better outsider opinions by asking your friends or posting a description of her on here. I have found it exceptionally difficult typing girlfriends as well.
    ENTJ LIE
    3w4 sp/sx
    3w4(4w5)-5w6(6w7)-9w8(1w9)

MBTI
    entp

touch on an N topic of discussion...something that interests her

watch her for reactions that may indicate immediate dismissal or reluctant interest

i have an ESTP friend. worst S ever. im more Se than him
    hes S because he doesn't display N traits and not because he displays any obvious S characters

MBTI
    ENTj
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    ENTj

Quote Originally Posted by thisGuy View Post
    i have an ESTP friend. worst S ever. im more Se than him
    Is that even possible? ENxP > ESxP at Se?
    ENTJ LIE
    3w4 sp/sx
    3w4(4w5)-5w6(6w7)-9w8(1w9)

MBTI
    epic

why exactly does this matter again?

and she sounds more isfj to me.
    there are different shades to mbti types, dude. si is what's familiar and relating to past experiences - that's different for everyone, so isfj's, just like any other person/type, have different preferences. and yes, they ARE capable of abstract thought and questioning (!), just with a more practical and feeling-relational bent.

WTF is this dude saying? A Schnitzel's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Socionics
    B.S.

Yes I know INTPs who don't like talking about theories that they don't understand fully. As Ti dominants they want the theory straight in their head before talking about it. They both still have an obvious taste for the theoretical, one is a physics major who is switching to pure mathematics. The other is a math major I met in a historical philosophy class. An easy way to tell that they are NT is that they get all of my jokes. Sensors often give me an awkward blank stare after I make a joke.
    Quote Originally Posted by prplchknz View Post
    sheesh humans! for realz