User Tag List

12 Last

Banned

Default ENTJs, Did you ever really want power?

So I've been thinking about the posts regarding power and ENTJs, and I'm wondering how much difference exists within the type regarding the actual desire for it. I can say, unequivocally, that there has never been a single moment of my life where I've actually wanted power. I have always bucked against the exertion of power/control over me from the outside and anyone who's tried quickly found out what a bad idea it was, but I have never had the desire to push around or dominate others. I don't like being in positions of leadership or in any sort of spotlight and would be content to spend the rest of my days just doing my own thing. I will never intentionally start trouble with anyone, but I will end it (ruthlessly, if necessary). I don't care what other people do with their lives or what they think I should be doing with mine, as long as they keep it to themselves. Unless I'm forced into a situation with someone where my own well-being is at stake, I absolutely do not care what that other person is doing. I guess what I'm wondering is am I the only ENTJ who couldn't care less about having power over anything other than my own life?

MBTI
    ENTP

My friend is like that too. She doesnt really care about dominating others.

on the otherhand I love power. But I prefer to play from the backstage.

MBTI
    INFJ

Well I don't care to dominate over anyone, not really my style(more on the charming side).
    I don't care for power as you can point to me and say I am the man, (makes for an open target).

But yea, secretly I would like to be pulling the strings of everything, not just for the sake of pulling them, rather to have more control over what I can do.

I will find the more money/power I have the more autonomy.

So, I think its about freedom in any case. Not just to say look at me I have power, aren't I great.
    Join my gamma group on facebook:
    http://www.facebook.com/groups/edit....id=63943661343
    Thats if you are either ENTJ, ISFJ, ESFP or INTP

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8w7 sx/so
    Socionics
    EIE

I can identify with this a lot.
    If events are going down a path that I see as disastrous, I will take control. I don't like being the one commanding people, as you said, I would rather be doing my own thing. If I have to choose between being boss or bitch, though... Then I will be ruthless. But only out of necessity and keeping my pride intact. If someone tries to gain a certain amount of control over me in a non-intrusive and polite way, and that person being more knowledgeable about what we are doing or such... I don't have a problem with that.
    I tend to have a problem with ESTJs and some ESTPs of low intelligence who in their arrogance think they know more than they do, running around with a bad attitude making everyones' day worse.
    Being an employee/part of a team shouldn't feel like being investigated by Internal Affairs. The process-oriented types tend to interfere and watch over peoples' shoulders way too much when it is not needed or wanted. Sometimes even when it seems offensive

If I am in a situation where an ESTx is causing trouble, I remove them from their position and take it, or leave. Suffice to say, it isn't reasonable to question some authority, for example if an annoying ESTx has his own company and does poorly.
    What I am saying is more applicable for strictly social gatherings or organizations where no-one owns the establishment , etc.

Anyway. I don't want power unless it's necessary in order to get things done or save myself from being mentally abused by some EST.

Quote Originally Posted by juggernaut View Post
    So I've been thinking about the posts regarding power and ENTJs, and I'm wondering how much difference exists within the type regarding the actual desire for it. I can say, unequivocally, that there has never been a single moment of my life where I've actually wanted power. I have always bucked against the exertion of power/control over me from the outside and anyone who's tried quickly found out what a bad idea it was, but I have never had the desire to push around or dominate others. I don't like being in positions of leadership or in any sort of spotlight and would be content to spend the rest of my days just doing my own thing. I will never intentionally start trouble with anyone, but I will end it (ruthlessly, if necessary). I don't care what other people do with their lives or what they think I should be doing with mine, as long as they keep it to themselves. Unless I'm forced into a situation with someone where my own well-being is at stake, I absolutely do not care what that other person is doing. I guess what I'm wondering is am I the only ENTJ who couldn't care less about having power over anything other than my own life?

Mightier than the tread of marching armies is the power of an idea whose time has come

MBTI
    INFJ

Quote Originally Posted by YourLocalJesus View Post
    Anyway. I don't want power unless it's necessary in order to get things done or save myself from being mentally abused by some EST.
    lol.

I have this theory that power goes to the ESTJ head. They turn into different people.
    Join my gamma group on facebook:
    http://www.facebook.com/groups/edit....id=63943661343
    Thats if you are either ENTJ, ISFJ, ESFP or INTP

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8w7 sp/sx
    Socionics
    SLE Ti

Quote Originally Posted by juggernaut View Post
    I guess what I'm wondering is am I the only ENTJ who couldn't care less about having power over anything other than my own life?
    Quote Originally Posted by blanclait View Post
    on the otherhand I love power. But I prefer to play from the backstage.
    I'd say I was an amalgamation of these two. It depends on my mood, and the company I'm in.

MBTI
    INTP

I'm not an ENTJ, and I don't want to derail this thread, but had an interesting conversation earlier today with an ENTJ when I was teasing him about the red dye in red velvet cake causing cancer. (Yes - chocolate cake for breakfast, and yes - it is a Bill Cosby sketch. Now go away.)

He's not someone I see as wanting power, but has just naturally acquired it as a result of what he is and who he knows. I think all he's ever wanted is the freedom to make his own decisions.

Anyway, he said he wasn't afraid of dying (not that either of us are particularly threatened by red dye) - he'd done pretty much everything he wanted to do in life. But the only thing he'd like to experience before dying is the one thing he'd never done - doing nothing. Just bullshitting with people, giving up home ownership and living somewhere where all the basics are someone else's responsibility, traveling without needing to set up a line of command to take care of business...

IDK. I think I'd give that six months - a year at the most. But does any of that strike a cord with you ENTJs if you think about yourselves in your mid-fifties?

MBTI
    ENTJ

I like and gravitate towards positions of leadership. If there's a reason to want to be in charge/to have power, then I want it (i.e. usually there's some task to be accomplished), if there's no reason other than ego or what have you, I'm not interested either way.

I also don't have a problem working in a subordinate position as long as I respect and trust the person above me. If I don't respect/trust them, then it's always a nightmare for both parties.
    "Only an irrational dumbass, would burn Jews." - Jaguar

"please give concise answers in plain English" - request from Provoker

I don't really desire power at all. What I do desire is to have competent people working for me that I can delegate to and know that the job will get done to my satisfaction. Even though this is a form of power it does not manifest from the desire for it. It is more the result of wanting to take my ideas and create organizations to fulfill my visions. From my first "gang" at six years old to my current business venture, this has always been a driving force in my life.

deleted

It reminds me of the idea that one ENTJ wants to be in the position of being potentially powerful or knowledgeable enough to lead, for if and when they need to show dominance, they have a contignecy set of tactics, by that point in time, that give fair way more than others can provide. Some like to make sure there is trust given to them as the potential leader.