User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: ENTJs, Did you ever really want power?

If you want power for it's own sake, then what is it that you actually want? To feel less insecure, perhaps? I can only see power as a secondary goal, a means to some other end. ENTJs are often type 8s on the Enneagram. 8s, 5s, and 2s are power seekers. We all have some key motivations that don't look too pretty on their own, especially in the beginning of life, but once a person has broken free of the negative aspects of it they move into a healthy and beautiful way of living. (Ideally.)

I think you'd have more fun studying the Enneagram in regards to this question, because there could be type 9 ENTJs or type 8 ENTJs and they'd have very different motivations. 8 - Enneagram Type Eight: The Challenger My apologies if I'm just taking up space and you already know about this or don't care! I'm still hitting the submit button, anyway.
    "When a resolute young fellow steps up the great bully, the world, and takes him boldly by the beard, he is often surprised to find that it comes off in his hand, and that it was only tied on to scare away the timid adventurers." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Banned Array

Actually that's very helpful. I just did the enneagram thing for the first time for another thread, and sure enough...8, 5, and 1 were my numbers. Right in line with what you're saying, and it did provide a lot more insight.

Senior Member Array

I've never really wanted power personally, but I get an exhilleration out of
    defying limits...I was intelligent for my age, but I dressed and acted like any
    other girl when I was younger to defy the sterotypes that brainy people we-
    re 'nerds' or didn't know how to go to parties and have fun, and also the oth-
    er way around to prove that people that knew how to have fun could still
    have brains. The part in the Wicked song Defying Gravity where she says "To
    those who ground me" gave me the chills for some reason I couldn't exactly
    put into words but understood the first few times I listened to it. I miss the
    days where my group of friends and I were always running around together
    getting into mischief or engaging in conversation about books we read, music
    preferences, computers and general intellectual babble but now I'm pretty
    much down to one close friend because everyone's moved away, got new
    jobs, been married and got busy, etc. Isn't it funny how twenty-something
    life is all fun and games for a while then its like bam, here's reality. Sometimes
    when I'm disatisfied with life and other things when stuff goes wrong or oppor
    tunities seem to slip through my fingers or just don't seem to be turning out
    right, I try to convince myself that I should be wanting power because it'll fill
    the gap but then I remember what happened to people I knew who forced
    power over their environment and people in it and how they ended up being
    completely alone and started cheating to get ahead on things then started to
    fail when no one was around to bail them out. I just remind myself at least I
    know what life's like now.