User Tag List

First 123 Last

Quote Originally Posted by Aleph-One View Post
    Have you ever heard someone say about INTJs that "there's something in their eyes"? It's usually described as a flippant gleam. My guess is that's how it looks from the outside.

I have heard for this and it cleary is corrct for me.
    Many times it happened that they were thinking that I have a desire to hurt or kill them just because of my eyes.
    But in general bodylanguage is not too good for determining things that are going to around my head.

Btw: nice name.

Senior Member Misty_Mountain_Rose's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by Aleph-One View Post
    There has, for me, always been a very clear demarcation between myself and the rest of the world. It's almost as if I'm detached from it in a way. I don't mean that I'm showing schizoid tendencies or depersonalization, since I don't feel like I'm merely an observer (if I dislike something in the external world, for example, I correct it). But there seems to be a kind of intermediate stage in my sensory experience that my extroverted or sensate friends do not have. So rather than saying I watch the world go by, like watching a movie, I'd say I'm screening the calls I get from reality.

I would suspect that INTJs have the sharpest delimiters between themselves and the external world of all the types, even more than other types who rely strongly on introverted intuition. The thinking/judging combined with the introverted intuition makes the INTJ prone to almost metaphysical solipsism at times (this is an annoying habit which has prevented me from having any other INTJs among my own friends), and I doubt if there's a stronger expression of self-assuredness than demanding that reality conforms to your will.
    Very well said, especially the bolded parts.

Quote Originally Posted by Jgib5328 View Post
    I have an incredibly strong sense of self; all of my self-concept is internally generated. I'm part of many groups, but I'm not part of many groups. I'm in them, but I'm detached, I never consider myself a true member. How I usually see it is that most people run in herds, I usually just run along side, but not within a herd for a certain amount of time, and leave whenever I want to.

I also hate being defined by anything other than myself. If anyone were to identify me by a group that I'm 'part' of such as debater or weight lifter, I'd be upset, because I see myself as me and nothing else.

Perhaps this is why I have such a hard time defining myself as well. For me, I look at people who choose a tattoo, bumper sticker, or even a game where they have to choose one thing to describe, very succinctly, who they are and I wonder how on Earth they did it. I cannot bring myself to be any 'one' thing, or commit to a symbol to represent the entirety of who I am. Its an interesting dillemma, and one I've often thought about.

Does my lack of commitment to any 'one' thing make me less 'self defined'? I don't think so... I think its more that I know very clearly who I am, and none of those generic ideas or things fully encompasses the whole picture, so I pass it by and keep searching.
    Embrace the possibilities.

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Misty_Mountain_Rose View Post
    Very well said, especially the bolded parts.

Perhaps this is why I have such a hard time defining myself as well. For me, I look at people who choose a tattoo, bumper sticker, or even a game where they have to choose one thing to describe, very succinctly, who they are and I wonder how on Earth they did it. I cannot bring myself to be any 'one' thing, or commit to a symbol to represent the entirety of who I am. Its an interesting dillemma, and one I've often thought about.

Does my lack of commitment to any 'one' thing make me less 'self defined'? I don't think so... I think its more that I know very clearly who I am, and none of those generic ideas or things fully encompasses the whole picture, so I pass it by and keep searching.
    It makes you harder to define, because of your higher degree of self-complexity. You aren't less self-defined, you're defined by yourself and all that you encompass, which can't be simplified down to one aspect.

MBTI
    nnnn

I have a strong sense of self, but I don't normally feel the need to define my self.

Content. Content? DigitalMethod's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTJ

I rarely define myself. And I think I'm pretty consist with my behavior. Most people would call me static, or say that I have a strong sense of self.

The problem for me, is that I don't have a clear idea of what my passions are.

So in a way, I don't have a very clear sense of self at all...

Does anyone relate?
    "The life of the individual has meaning only insofar as it aids in making the life of every living thing nobler and more beautiful."
    - Albert Einstein

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by 01011010 View Post
    I've heard the look has scared, intimidated, or made uneasy those who aren't sure of themselves. It was once described to me as, "seeing right through them." "All their flaws and weaknesses laid bare."
    Mmmhmm.. I've been told that as well.
    "The life of the individual has meaning only insofar as it aids in making the life of every living thing nobler and more beautiful."
    - Albert Einstein

deleted

I can tell by what kind of questions someone asks if they have a strong sense of themselves.

MBTI
    nnnn

Quote Originally Posted by DigitalMethod View Post
    I rarely define myself. And I think I'm pretty consist with my behavior. Most people would call me static, or say that I have a strong sense of self.

The problem for me, is that I don't have a clear idea of what my passions are.

So in a way, I don't have a very clear sense of self at all...

Does anyone relate?

I've always felt comfortable having an unconscious notion of self, but I have never examined its contents, I just go with the flow with it. I know that I am, but I don't know what I am. I've never stopped to think who I am, what I stand for, what I need, what my passions are etc. I think this is because I could never answer those questions absolutely - if I had to choose then that's what I am, fluidity.

"Do I contradict myself?
    Very well then I contradict myself,
    (I am large, I contain multitudes.)"

Heh, I shall use it as my signature.

At the same time I'm very much my own person and I'm never fully part of any other group and keep my critical distance...I think part of my will always be essentially alone.

Catch lemons: what is a sense of self?

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Uytuun View Post
    I've always felt comfortable having an unconscious notion of self, but I have never examined its contents, I just go with the flow with it. I know that I am, but I don't know what I am. I've never stopped to think who I am, what I stand for, what I need, what my passions are etc. I think this is because I could never answer those questions absolutely - if I had to choose then that's what I am, fluidity.

"Do I contradict myself?
    Very well then I contradict myself,
    (I am large, I contain multitudes.)"

Heh, I shall use it as my signature.

At the same time I'm very much my own person and I'm never fully part of any other group and keep my critical distance...I think part of my will always be essentially alone.

Catch lemons: what is a sense of self?
    Yeah I relate. And I'm fine with being the static although unconscious me. But choosing a major doesn't really like that sort of person.
    - Albert Einstein

MBTI
    nnnn

I always knew what I wanted to do, however, I feel like I've mastered it and have grown bored.