• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[INTP] Does the world hate INTP's? All types welcome.

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I keep forgetting you know us better than we know ourselves.

I doubt you know more than a handful at best. So your generalizations are pretty worthless. IME, feelers suffer more with denial than thinkers, because they are less willing/able to take an objective stance and are less able to tolerate cognitive dissonance. Whatever.

And I doubt you know me well enough to estimate my level of social interaction. Also, it's kind of hypocritical to claim that I'm generalizing as I could, according to you, not have that much experience with INTPs, and then start generalizing about what you supposedly know about feelers.

All I did was answer the OP with the experiences I've had. And I never claimed to know you better than you know yourself. Stop putting words in my mouth :rolli:

INA

now! in shell form
MBTI Type
intp
INTJs are more likely to be hated than INTPs since they often project an aura of aloof superiority. That tends to irk people whether it's warranted or not.
I think this happens with INTPs a lot too. Combine a critical nature with introversion and people will assume critique where there's obliviousness and attribute it to a sense of superiority, which is wrong around half the time. A refusal to engage for the sake of pointless disagreement does anger some, though.
I haven't felt rejected by the world - just a lot of incompatibility with most if I'm to fully be myself. Any bouts of cynicism are about disappointment with humanity generally.

ETA: And I completely missed the angry-at-the-world (teenage?) phase.

Tallulah

Emerging
MBTI Type
INTP
I haven't felt rejected by the world - just a lot of incompatibility with most if I'm to fully be myself.

Very well stated! I feel the same way.

Jennifer said:
INTPs for one draw their conclusions from logic rather than social assumption (plus they tend to react/respond rather than initiate relationship, so they rarely just leap in... especially because they don't like or don't understand the rules), so if they are not getting actual positive feedback from people, the assumption at best is that no one really cares that they're around. (Bottom line: We assume we're not accepted until shown positive feedback.)

Oh, wow, that is so true for me. I can't count the number of times I've been surprised that people generally like me. I'm used to the people I click with liking me, because I can feel that give-and-take and mutual admiration stuff, but I usually assume the people that I don't feel a connection with don't like me.

Verfremdungseffekt

videodrones; questions
MBTI Type
INTp
Enneagram
5w4
Yeah, that's a pretty good summary. It does tend to rather bewilder me when I realize that people with whom I don't have an obvious rapport are generally warmer than indifferent toward me. I never quite know what to do with that.

Jonathanthegreat

MBTI Type
ENFJ
I love INTJ females. They are like men, only women. Awesome.
There is a beautiful INTJ female at my job. She is awesome.

Salomé

meh
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
And I doubt you know me well enough to estimate my level of social interaction. Also, it's kind of hypocritical to claim that I'm generalizing as I could, according to you, not have that much experience with INTPs, and then start generalizing about what you supposedly know about feelers.

All I did was answer the OP with the experiences I've had. And I never claimed to know you better than you know yourself. Stop putting words in my mouth :rolli:

Even a complete whore of a socialite is unlikely to meet enough INTPs in a lifetime to come up with a general theory about them of any merit. Simple statistics. Unless she works in a sanatorium for maladjusted INTPs. Do you? The rest of that paragraph made no sense. Anything I've said about feelers is based on the theory and qualified with "IME".

I'll stop challenging you when you stop spouting patronizing nonsense as if you knew what you were talking about. I can't see that happening anytime soon.
JocktheMotie said:
I just don't see how you can say the INTP mindset doesn't have a stronger tendency than others to develop that worldview in the first place.
And I don't see how you can. It's for the postulator to prove, not for me to disprove. So I guess we just agree to differ.

I think this happens with INTPs a lot too. Combine a critical nature with introversion and people will assume critique where there's obliviousness and attribute it to a sense of superiority, which is wrong around half the time.
You have a flakey sense of superiority? I'd get that looked at. :D

ajblaise

Minister of Propagandhi
MBTI Type
INTP
I never had an angsty mad-at-the-world phase, that reminds me more of INFPs I know. I used to get in trouble and rebel a lot more, but I think I was pretty happy and pleased with myself while doing it. I had friends and a half-way decent social life growing up, so maybe if I felt like a total pariah, it would have been different. Most of my trouble was in letting people know I didn't hate or dislike them, rather than getting them to like me.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I never had an angsty mad-at-the-world phase, that reminds me more of INFPs I know. I used to get in trouble and rebel a lot more, but I think I was pretty happy and pleased with myself while doing it. I had friends and a half-way decent social life growing up, so maybe if I felt like a total pariah, it would have been different. Most of my trouble was in letting people know I didn't hate or dislike them, rather than getting them to like me.

I remember a phase where I had an unexpressed condescension of the world -- as in "gee, why is everyone so stupid? I wish they'd come to their senses and use their brains." But I did not really use that as my basis for interacting with them, it was mostly a feeling I harbored inside.

ajblaise

Minister of Propagandhi
MBTI Type
INTP
I remember a phase where I had an unexpressed condescension of the world -- as in "gee, why is everyone so stupid? I wish they'd come to their senses and use their brains." But I did not really use that as my basis for interacting with them, it was mostly a feeling I harbored inside.

Hmmm. I knew people were stupid, but I might have skipped to the content apathetic stage.. oh yeah, I self-medicated throughout half of middle school and all of high school. :)

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Hmmm. I knew people were stupid, but I might have skipped to the content apathetic stage.. oh yeah, I self-medicated throughout half of middle school and all of high school. :)

Ah. I didn't get to do that until college.
But I made up for it, my sophomore year. :blush:
(Boy was I happy.)

Risen

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
9w8
I believe Amargith has a fair bit of experience interacting with INTPs, so don't knock her viewpoint based on that... Just saying.

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
I think that it is more likely that INTPs will imagine that the world hates them while world doesn't care .

INTPatricia

MBTI Type
intj
I don't know if they hate me...I don't notice it if they do, so it doesn't bother me. The ones I don't like keep their distance so if that is hate, I find it convenient.

I don't hate you yet, give me a little time. You actually don't sound like an INTP...you sound like you have some F or J in you...or maybe even some S or P...you sound a bit rash to me...anyway...let us know why you think they hate you and more importantly why you care.

Shimmy

MBTI Type
SEXY
I've read every 14 page of this thread, I'll just answer to the thread as a whole instead of to individual replies.

People don't hate INTP's. It's not a matter of Typology at all. If hate comes forth from misunderstanding each others communication style, and I have strong reasons to believe it does, then INTP's only get a sense of the world hating them because their communication style is different from a lot of other people. However, INTP's, with their power for analysis, have an amazing potential for learning to adapt their communication style to the people around them. If they do this INTP's are amongst the most likeable people to almost everybody.
I think Jennifer is a great example, as she admitted in one thread (forgot which one) that she actually learned how to smile when meeting new people.

Both my dad (ISTJ), and my mom (probably, ENFP, yes they are divorced) have a much more rigid communication style then me and often don't really notice how what they say, impacts on other people. Both are very social in their own way but when it comes to social likeability, my parents are too stuck in their own method of communicating to really make much of a connection with people who don't communicate that way.

As for the whole INTP attitude discussion.

When I was younger everybody did call me a smart-ass for always correcting them on things they didn't want to be corrected on. Instead of blaming them for not being precise I just stopped doing that. Occasionally I still tell people they're wrong, but my friends at least know they can be honest with me and tell me to stfu.
Also, I sometimes get a bit world weary or apathetic. I've never had 'phases' like this in my life. It's just something that sometimes happens, usually they last from one night, to a couple of months. At those times I just sit in my room and read a lot. Then when I realize what I'm doing I pull myself together, phone up some friends and go away for a weekend, when I come back I'm totally refreshed.