• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[INTP] Does the world hate INTP's? All types welcome.

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
It's not that the world hates INTPs, it just doesn't understand them.

Also, unbalanced INTPs seem to react to 'rejection' from the world with cynicism, critiscism, frustration and a rebellious attitude that's rarely productive. Though all people feel like this at some point, I'm sure, it's when it continues for long periods of times that it's really unhealthy. They often also do not realize that they're the ones causing their own pain and tend to blame everyone else using their sharp analyzing capacities. Judgementalism, unattainable standards and resentment are usually next which pushes people even further away. And denial. My god, the mindboggling denial some of them suffer from. It's too bad really, as some of them are really great people beneath all of this.

LunarMoon

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
I am an INTP, and I have come to the conclusion that at least 90% of people hate me. Is this congruous with what you other INTP's experience? Other types chime in as well. Keep it clean and on topic.
I can't imagine it. As others have mentioned it's more like people just don't care. They are, however, Introverts so in Western culture they already have that black mark against them. With female Introverts people will tend to project a kind, demure personality onto them though male INTPs will more likely be typed as unsociable freaks, especially among young ESxxs. INTJs are more likely to be hated than INTPs since they often project an aura of aloof superiority. That tends to irk people whether it's warranted or not.

Jonathanthegreat

MBTI Type
ENFJ
yays! Does this mean you's my boyfriend???! :smile:

Dreadfully gleeful.
No pumpkin, My heart belongs to an ESTP :)

I can't imagine it. As others have mentioned it's more like people just don't care. They are, however, Introverts so in Western culture they already have that black mark against them. With female Introverts people will tend to project a kind, demure personality onto them though male INTPs will more likely be typed as unsociable freaks, especially among young ESxxs. INTJs are more likely to be hated than INTPs since they often project an aura of aloof superiority. That tends to irk people whether it's warranted or not.

Dude FEI FONG WONG IS THE MAN

GargoylesLegacy

Kickin' Ass since 1984
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
8w9
Yes we all hate you. You are the worst of all types in the whole galaxy, mwahahahaha!
No, of course not. I am just kidding. Seriously!
Ah, and I like what Amargith said:
Also, unbalanced INTPs seem to react to 'rejection' from the world with cynicism, critiscism, frustration and a rebellious attitude that's rarely productive.

Anyways! I like you guys; I really do. Unless you are totally unbalanced and total stickler for details. Then again, I always manage to make those sticklers shut up, simply by acknowledging if I made a mistake (like when having a discussion; and something I said wasn't 100% accurate because I forgot some DETAIL). That totally throws you off (good tip for my fellow INTJs here :D). So you can stay how you are in my personal opinion. Let's be friends, cousins! :D

Salomé

meh
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

Also, unbalanced INTPs seem to react to 'rejection' from the world with cynicism, critiscism, frustration and a rebellious attitude that's rarely productive. Though all people feel like this at some point, I'm sure, it's when it continues for long periods of times that it's really unhealthy. They often also do not realize that they're the ones causing their own pain and tend to blame everyone else using their sharp analyzing capacities. Judgementalism, unattainable standards and resentment are usually next which pushes people even further away. And denial. My god, the mindboggling denial some of them suffer from. It's too bad really, as some of them are really great people beneath all of this.
I don't think any of that is unique to INTPs. Or am I in denial? :rolli:

I love them and I love me. What else matters?
I actually find people like me a good deal more than I like them, or can tolerate. Sometimes this frustrates them. *shrug*

As for caring, I care at least as much as anyone else, just about different things.

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so

I love them and I love me. What else matters?
I actually find people like me a good deal more than I like them, or can tolerate. Sometimes this frustrates them. *shrug*

As for caring, I care at least as much as anyone else, just about different things.

The bolded part shows that I did mention that this is not exclusive to INTPs, though it appears to be more often found in INTPs from what I've seen.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

Yeah, actually, I think it happens more commonly with INTPs.

One thing is that many types of people assume that they belong to the group, as long as everyone seems cool towards them. It's a foundation belief, that they're part of humanity and part of community.

INTPs for one draw their conclusions from logic rather than social assumption (plus they tend to react/respond rather than initiate relationship, so they rarely just leap in... especially because they don't like or don't understand the rules), so if they are not getting actual positive feedback from people, the assumption at best is that no one really cares that they're around. (Bottom line: We assume we're not accepted until shown positive feedback.)

Unhealthy INTPs will drag this further into cynicism and assume they are disliked.

Salomé

meh
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
The bolded part shows that I did mention that this is not exclusive to INTPs, though it appears to be more often found in INTPs from what I've seen.

I keep forgetting you know us better than we know ourselves.

I doubt you know more than a handful at best. So your generalizations are pretty worthless. IME, feelers suffer more with denial than thinkers, because they are less willing/able to take an objective stance and are less able to tolerate cognitive dissonance. Whatever.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
No pumpkin, My heart belongs to an ESTP :)

Pumpkin?!!!

That's "The GREAT Pumpkin" to you, bub.
You ain't getting no candy for Halloween. :(

... as far as the rest of this inane pissing contest on whether feelers or INTPs are more in denial ... OY VEY!

Salomé

meh
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
INTPs for one draw their conclusions from logic rather than social assumption (plus they tend to react/respond rather than initiate relationship, so they rarely just leap in... especially because they don't like or don't understand the rules), so if they are not getting actual positive feedback from people, the assumption at best is that no one really cares that they're around. (Bottom line: We assume we're not accepted until shown positive feedback.)
I don't see how that's a *logical* assumption and it isn't one I would make. I assume I'm as acceptable as anyone else until shown otherwise. More often than not, I dont care whether anyone cares as long as it doesn't get in my way. And I'd sooner be ignored and fade into the background, than be the centre of attention.

JocktheMotie

Habitual Fi LineStepper
I keep forgetting you know us better than we know ourselves.

I doubt you know more than a handful at best. So your generalizations are pretty worthless. IME, feelers suffer more with denial than thinkers, because they are less willing/able to take an objective stance and are less able to tolerate cognitive dissonance. Whatever.

FWIW, I thought her take of the "angry INTP" was pretty spot on. When I was young, my mindset was nearly exactly as she described, however by 18 I moved on from cynical hatred to detached apathy. I don't think it's too far a stretch to think INTPs can be more susceptible to this mindset than some other types.

Though I will agree with you on the denial front. I was never in denial, I was painfully aware that I was the cause of of my cynical worldview.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I don't see how that's a *logical* assumption and it isn't one I would make. I assume I'm as acceptable as anyone else until shown otherwise. More often than not, I dont care whether anyone cares as long as it doesn't get in my way. And I'd sooner be ignored and fade into the background, than be the centre of attention.

Sorry, I was unclear. "They" refers to general members, not necessarily INTPs. I'm typing too fast, I guess.

Salomé

meh
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
FWIW, I thought her take of the "angry INTP" was pretty spot on. When I was young, my mindset was nearly exactly as she described, however by 18 I moved on from cynical hatred to detached apathy. I don't think it's too far a stretch to think INTPs can be more susceptible to this mindset than some other types.

Though I will agree with you on the denial front. I was never in denial, I was painfully aware that I was the cause of of my cynical worldview.

Maybe it's an "angry young man" thing then? I don't recall getting angry as a teen. I was truly oblivious to almost everything and in my own world much of the time. Whenever I encountered hostility it was with bemusement. A bully was lucky to get a raised eyebrow out of me. I didnt really fit anywhere but I still had a pretty healthy sense of my own worth, I think, and never sought to blame anyone. I just did my own thing. Still do. Self-sufficiency FTW!

ETA. I seem to remember a thread on INTP relationships where most were saying that they are far more likely to turn their analysis and criticism inwards rather than direct it outwards.
Which is the opposite of what Amargith was saying.

JocktheMotie

Habitual Fi LineStepper
Maybe it's an "angry young man" thing then? I don't recall getting angry as a teen. I was truly oblivious to almost everything and in my own world much of the time. Whenever, I encountered hostility it was with bemusement. A bully was lucky to get a raised eyebrow out of me. I didnt really fit anywhere but I still had a pretty healthy sense of my own worth, I think, and never sought to blame anyone. I just did my own thing. Still do. Self-sufficiency FTW!

ETA. I seem to remember a thread on INTP relationships where most were saying that they are far more likely to turn their analysis and criticism inwards rather than direct it outwards.
Which is the opposite of what Amargith was saying.

I didn't experience any outward hostility either. It came from within. And it wasn't people. It was institutions and concepts, and social constructs that I saw no use for, and whenever I challenged my mother about them, the answer I most commonly received back was "Because."

I do think the male thing does have a lot to do with it. INTP wimminz seem to dodge the angry bullet rather well, and seem generally better put together.

Keep in mind she did say it was "unhealthy" INTPs, but you are also correct in saying any individual can develop that worldview, I just don't see how you can say the INTP mindset doesn't have a stronger tendency than others to develop that worldview in the first place.