• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[INTP] Does the world hate INTP's? All types welcome.

Lurker

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
I don't really know, while this detachment works well in certain environments, when it comes to relationships it's absolutely disastrous.

Heh. Great point that I've been trying to make for some time!

Straw Dogs has a great portrayal of an overly detached, clueless INTX in a horrible relationship.

substitute

MBTI Type
ENTP
I dunno, I'm ambivalent... I can see lots of reason to like INTP's, but I can also see a lot of fairly typical traits of particularly young INTP's, that might make it pretty hard for them to win friends even with the good points taken as read...

The easy-going thing, the non-neediness, the intelligent conversation, the not taking things personally, the emotional privacy they give me - all those things I love. But the smart-ass, the superiority complex, the treating people as worthless if they're not brain boxes, the assuming every problem they have with other people is because the other people are too dumb to understand them, and the tendency to speak in essay language... these things do rub me up the wrong way and I should imagine quite a few others too. Oh, and the permanent emo depression shit.

Having said that, you do get the sunny, cheerful kind of INTP that has all those good points and only shows the bad points when under real pressure or stress, people like Xander and Jennifer and Costrin - if they were all like that, the world would love INTP's more I think .

nozflubber

DoubleplusUngoodNonperson
MBTI Type
Hype
Obviously, you don't understand Costrin~ but that's ok, we forgive you for not understanding us.

Costrin

rawr
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
5w4
Having said that, you do get the sunny, cheerful kind of INTP that has all those good points and only shows the bad points when under real pressure or stress, people like Xander and Jennifer and Costrin - if they were all like that, the world would love INTP's more I think .

:D

Obviously, you don't understand Costrin~ but that's ok, we forgive you for not understanding us.

picryu9.jpg

substitute

MBTI Type
ENTP
lol I don't mean to say necessarily that you're always cheerful and sunny, but I mean, when you do that sarcastic dark stuff, or whatever, there's a sense that you can laugh at yourself, which in so many INTP's seems to be completely lacking... they take themselves WAY too seriously.

Costrin

rawr
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
5w4
lol I don't mean to say necessarily that you're always cheerful and sunny, but I mean, when you do that sarcastic dark stuff, or whatever, there's a sense that you can laugh at yourself, which in so many INTP's seems to be completely lacking... they take themselves WAY too seriously.

No, I'm pretty sure I'm always sunny and cheerful. Like so:

33334-Clipart-Illustration-Of-Two-Melting-Snowmen-Under-The-Bright-Sun-On-A-White-Background.jpg

See look at me smiling there? Look at how happy I make my snowman friends! :)

JocktheMotie

Habitual Fi LineStepper

Really? I find them more easygoing and loose than say, INTJs.

substitute

MBTI Type
ENTP
Really? I find them more easygoing and loose than say, INTJs.

hmm... just thinking of the two INTJ's I know personally - they don't really seem to try seriously to have conversations about things that are important to them, so most of what I talk about with them, they're cool to laugh about and they can take people poking fun at them.

INTP's yeah, easy going... up until you hit a nerve by accident - usually by saying something which touches on some deeply held opinion of theirs on their pet subject. I know one INTP, a geologist - he REALLY likes rocks. A group of friends were talking about beaches, deciding which one to go to (there are quite a few locally, it's an island!). One guy said he liked the kind of sand you got at a certain beach, then the INTP who had been quiet until then, suddenly jumped in and started arguing that what this guy was talking about couldn't possibly be actual sand, by the geological definition of sand, and everyone was like dude, look, the word "sand" was invented for that crumbly powdery stuff you get at the beach LONG before geologists started categorizing things, can you just chill and let us call it sand, cos that's what it is to us? But this INTP wouldn't give in and really pissed everyone off with trying to get us all to admit that, by the proper geological definition, this guy had been wrong and the INTP was right. Eventually he shut up but he sulked the rest of the day and still holds a grudge against that guy and calls him an idiot.

That got him the nickname of Sand Man, and since he rarely talks unless the subject of geology comes up, he's made an image of himself as an uptight twat who doesn't really care about anything except geology. Whether that's true or not is a moot point - it's how he's portrayed himself. Yet he blames other people all the time for him not being able to get on with people.

Lurker

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
hmm... just thinking of the two INTJ's I know personally - they don't really seem to try seriously to have conversations about things that are important to them, so most of what I talk about with them, they're cool to laugh about and they can take people poking fun at them.

INTP's yeah, easy going... up until you hit a nerve by accident - usually by saying something which touches on some deeply held opinion of theirs on their pet subject. I know one INTP, a geologist - he REALLY likes rocks. A group of friends were talking about beaches, deciding which one to go to (there are quite a few locally, it's an island!). One guy said he liked the kind of sand you got at a certain beach, then the INTP who had been quiet until then, suddenly jumped in and started arguing that what this guy was talking about couldn't possibly be actual sand, by the geological definition of sand, and everyone was like dude, look, the word "sand" was invented for that crumbly powdery stuff you get at the beach LONG before geologists started categorizing things, can you just chill and let us call it sand, cos that's what it is to us? But this INTP wouldn't give in and really pissed everyone off with trying to get us all to admit that, by the proper geological definition, this guy had been wrong and the INTP was right. Eventually he shut up but he sulked the rest of the day and still holds a grudge against that guy and calls him an idiot.

That got him the nickname of Sand Man, and since he rarely talks unless the subject of geology comes up, he's made an image of himself as an uptight twat who doesn't really care about anything except geology. Whether that's true or not is a moot point - it's how he's portrayed himself. Yet he blames other people all the time for him not being able to get on with people.

:laugh: Dude sounds more like an INTJ to me.

Verfremdungseffekt

videodrones; questions
MBTI Type
INTp
Enneagram
5w4
I don't really know, while this detachment works well in certain environments, when it comes to relationships it's absolutely disastrous. It makes me wonder why NFs like us at all. It is difficult to explain to someone the complete apathy one can have for another's situation. My mom thought I needed psychological help, as she's Fe dom. I just...don't care, most of the time.
Yes, I think the only living T in my family is my nephew. Everyone found me both incomprehensible and rather horrible. My father a few times threatened to send me to a psychiatrist. And they were all watching over me like a hawk, for signs of madness.

I remember once I was in my room, talking on the phone, laughing uproariously, and my father came hesitantly knocking on the door, asking what was wrong. Why was I crying, he asked. What? I repled. I was on the phone. What was he talking about? There was a long pause. "But you don't have a phone," he said. He sounded terrified. And, er. Yes, I did. In fact, architecturally, my room was the hub for all the phone jacks in the house. Somehow this information didn't make him feel any better, though. The episode was just more grist for the mill.

Lord almighty.

substitute

MBTI Type
ENTP
Yes, I think the only living T in my family is my nephew. Everyone found me both incomprehensible ...

I certainly sympathize with that. I'm one of 5 kids, child of a mother who's one of 9 and a father who's one of 4. I have a BIG family. It's very female dominated; I'm the only T in my immediate family (or was until my step dad married in quite late, an ISTP) and one of only three in my extended family that I know of.

Yes, we're evil, aren't we? Or perhaps we're autistic. Yes, that's it, we must be autistic. What other explanation can there be for our "rude" and "uncaring" behaviour, our lack of empathy or concern for family gossip? Why else would we just not phone for like, days?! It's got to be autism, otherwise we must just be plain evil.

:rolleyes:

jenocyde

half mystic, half skeksis
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
Yes, we're evil, aren't we? Or perhaps we're autistic. Yes, that's it, we must be autistic. What other explanation can there be for our "rude" and "uncaring" behaviour, our lack of empathy or concern for family gossip? Why else would we just not phone for like, days?! It's got to be autism, otherwise we must just be plain evil.

:rolleyes:

I don't understand why keeping in touch with a 5 min phone call every week shows that you "care". I also have a huge family and I can't keep up, and I don't even try.

substitute

MBTI Type
ENTP
I don't understand why keeping in touch with a 5 min phone call every week shows that you "care". I also have a huge family and I can't keep up, and I don't even try.

Totally. If I care then I won't bore you with pointless conversations where I don't really have anything to say, and wait til I've got some cool stuff to tell you. Meantime, I assume if you have something to tell me or you wanna ask something, you'll call me!

Domino

ENFJ In Chains
MBTI Type
eNFJ
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I hate INTPs. They smell like candy. Only angry candy that wants to crawl into your underwear drawer and sniff your panties.

Tallulah

Emerging
MBTI Type
INTP
Yes, I think the only living T in my family is my nephew. Everyone found me both incomprehensible and rather horrible. My father a few times threatened to send me to a psychiatrist. And they were all watching over me like a hawk, for signs of madness.

I remember once I was in my room, talking on the phone, laughing uproariously, and my father came hesitantly knocking on the door, asking what was wrong. Why was I crying, he asked. What? I repled. I was on the phone. What was he talking about? There was a long pause. "But you don't have a phone," he said. He sounded terrified. And, er. Yes, I did. In fact, architecturally, my room was the hub for all the phone jacks in the house. Somehow this information didn't make him feel any better, though. The episode was just more grist for the mill.

Lord almighty.

LOLOL! Freaking out dad FTW.

Tallulah

Emerging
MBTI Type
INTP

:laugh: Dude sounds more like an INTJ to me.

Exactly what I was thinking. INTPs generally wouldn't care so much that you get the terminology right. It's enough that they know.