• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[INTP] Does the world hate INTP's? All types welcome.

Salomé

meh
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I wonder. How often INTx's are right (intuitively speaking) about if the opposite, or rather preferred sex they like, likes them? When you do choose to pursue your interest is it usually a fruitful adventure, or did you misinterpret signs and act on something that the other person didn't see existed?
INTPs are more likely to be oblivious to interest than to misinterpret it. I think that's less true for INTJs who seem to be overrepresented in the crazy stalker populace.
j/k

Red Herring

Superwoman
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I´m sorry to have to break it to you, but it is one thing to say people don´t get your trail of thought (because they use other cognitive processes to reach their conclusions, etc.), if 90% of those you meet hate you, there is somethig wrong with the way you interact with the world.

It is very easy to act like a jerk and then assume the rest of mankind is simply too stupid to understand you. Ti dominance is no excuse for a lack of manners!

As to INTPs being oblivious to romantic interest - that´s something I have observed more than once. The data is still inconclusive, but it seems to make sense.

Salomé

meh
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I´m sorry to have to break it to you, but it is one thing to say people don´t get your trail of thought (because they use other cognitive processes to reach their conclusions, etc.), if 90% of those you meet hate you, there is somethig wrong with the way you interact with the world.
Who are you talking to? OP was banned. Like a year ago.

Reading compression.

Red Herring

Superwoman
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Okay, in that case I was partly talking to an empty room. On the other hand, it is not like you don´t hear that kind of reasoning from other INTs on this forum... so it was partly directed at the Op and partly at anybody identifying with him (you know who you are).

Salomé

meh
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Okay, in that case I was partly talking to an empty room. On the other hand, it is not like you don´t hear that kind of reasoning from other INTs on this forum... so it was partly directed at the Op and partly at anybody identifying with him (you know who you are).
Do you just come here to FAIL, or what?

Red Herring

Superwoman
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
90% of the population are passive-aggressive INXPs?

Okay then. :rolli:

LOL, never mind.
I don´t see anything passive-agressive in my posts, sorry if it came across that way. If the thread has turned into a discussion of NT dating behavior and I didn´t notice it and seem like an idiot to you for responding to the OP, then so be it.
I never said I represented 90% of the population. The way you just adressed me however is actively and directly agressive and illustrates lack of manners. Which goes to show my post wasn´t obsolete after all.

*shrugs shoulder and leaves pointless discussion*

Salomé

meh
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
LOL, never mind.
I don´t see anything passive-agressive in my posts, sorry if it came across that way. If the thread has turned into a discussion of NT dating behavior and I didn´t notice it and seem like an idiot to you for responding to the OP, then so be it.
I never said I represented 90% of the population. The way you just adressed me however is actively and directly agressive and illustrates lack of manners. Which goes to show my post wasn´t obsolete after all.

*shrugs shoulder and leaves pointless discussion*
That's not what made you seem like an idiot. I'm not sure where you got this impression from, I'm addressing your comments, not your person.

You could be excused if your (somewhat redundant) comments were addressed to the OP (since he claims, with typical hyperbole, that 90% of people hate him). I gave you a chance to clarify, and in so doing you confirmed that you were actually taking yet another pot-shot at INTs. Your statement was needlessly offensive, prejudiced, unhelpful, crude and ill-informed and seemed designed to antagonize. Unlike many INTs, I don't like eating shit. What were you saying about lack of manners again?

Red Herring

Superwoman
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I had no intention of attacking INTs, not at all. In fact I said, if people don´t like you (the rhetorical "you") it´s propably you, not your type. In other words: nothing wrong with the type. I attacked self-righteosness, not NTness.

You did not ask for clarification but started an ad hominem attack.
If I criticize people who think they are superior to everybody else and don´t even try to understand those around them and you interpret that as an attack on NTs, that´s quite telling

Salomé

meh
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I had no intention of attacking INTs, not at all. In fact I said, if people don´t like you (the rhetorical "you") it´s propably you, not your type. In other words: nothing wrong with the type. I attacked self-righteosness, not NTness.
Oh, really?
is not like you don´t hear that kind of reasoning from other INTs on this forum... so it was partly directed at the Op and partly at anybody identifying with him (you know who you are).
I wonder why you felt the need to restrict your condescending aside to INTs then?
You did not ask for clarification but started an ad hominem attack.
If I criticize people who think they are superior to everybody else and don´t even try to understand those around them and you interpret that as an attack on NTs, that´s quite telling
Who said anything about thinking one is superior? Now you are just making shit up. :huh: I asked who you were talking to - that was your chance to provide clarification. And you did. Of your prejudice. Hence you failed to make a valid point.
Also, I thought you were leaving this pointless discussion? I guess everything you say should be taken with a pinch of salt...

R

ReflecTcelfeR

INTPs are more likely to be oblivious to interest than to misinterpret it. I think that's less true for INTJs who seem to be overrepresented in the crazy stalker populace.
j/k

Is there a particular reason behind this?

Salomé

meh
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Is there a particular reason behind this?
The oblivious bit? Or the crazy stalker bit?:)
INTPs are in their heads most of the time and oblivious to just about everything in their environment, unless it is a focus of study, in which case it is scrutinized to excess.

They are taught to believe that they are inferior in the sphere of interpersonal relations - socially maladjusted, geeky, clumsy, awkward - and tend to devalue themselves, so frequently are skeptical that anyone could really be interested in them. Beyond that, even if they are awesome and know it, few people understand them or get to see anything other than the default vacant expression / blank stare, so they believe it unlikely that they'd attract interest, or if they do, it's for the "wrong" reasons. The ability to reinterpret the same data in 1001 different ways, coupled with an aversion for premature conclusions, means that they tend to err on the side of caution when assessing other's motives. And the drive for objectivity and need for self-sufficiency mean they are less likely to project their own desires onto the object of their desires.

I've been smacked on the head with a marriage proposal before having any idea that someone was into me, but I am pretty damned oblivious, even for an INTP. :D

R

ReflecTcelfeR

INTPs are in their heads most of the time and oblivious to just about everything in their environment, unless it is a focus of study, in which case it is scrutinized to excess.

They are taught to believe that they are inferior in the sphere of interpersonal relations - socially maladjusted, geeky, clumsy, awkward - and tend to devalue themselves, so frequently are skeptical that anyone could really be interested in them. Beyond that, even if they are awesome and know it, few people understand them or get to see anything other than the default vacant expression / blank stare, so they believe it unlikely that they'd attract interest, or if they do, it's for the "wrong" reasons. The ability to reinterpret the same data in 1001 different ways, coupled with an aversion for premature conclusions, means that they tend to err on the side of caution when assessing other's motives. And the drive for objectivity and need for self-sufficiency mean they are less likely to project their own desires onto the object of their desires.

I've been smacked on the head with a marriage proposal before having any idea that someone was into me, but I am pretty damned oblivious, even for an INTP. :D

Hmmmm... it seems like a rather tough situation to deal with, I think it's quite depressing that logic like this is allowed to remain even though enough people realize that it occurs. I think it's even more depressing that I can relate to those feelings. Marriage?! What about the first date?

MacGuffin

Permabanned
MBTI Type
xkcd
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
It matches with Hustler's "I'm INTP, flirt harder".

Tallulah

Emerging
MBTI Type
INTP

Wow. That is absolutely perfectly it, in a nutshell. I'm tempted to put THAT on a t-shirt. :smile:

Additionally, some of us learn to function juuuuuuust well enough to "pass" as a more social type in the real world, which leads others to expect us to act a certain way when they befriend us or try to have a relationship with us. And then take it personally when we're not what they expected. I have never figured out a way around this.

Salomé

meh
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Additionally, some of us learn to function juuuuuuust well enough to "pass" as a more social type in the real world, which leads others to expect us to act a certain way when they befriend us or try to have a relationship with us. And then take it personally when we're not what they expected. I have never figured out a way around this.
Not even with another INTP?

Tallulah

Emerging
MBTI Type
INTP
Not even with another INTP?

My INTP turned out to be an ENTP. Alas. We actually bonded over the thing I mentioned above, but there was still a level on which we weren't connecting. So, good on some levels, completely missed each other on other levels. Hrumph.