First 4567816 Last

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Honestly I thought the Western world currently preferred NTs: scientific, rational thinkers. Isn't that part of the dominant culture type? I read somewhere that Americans idealize ENTJs or something like that.

I don't hate NTs. I don't like all of them, but I could say that about any type. Why do you feel that people hate you?

MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    9w8 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Mortabunt is a troll, and he is doing his job trolling. That's why he thinks the whole world hates him.

Plus, I'm pretty sure western civilization idealizes SJs, a lot of work is centered around an environment an SJ would be comfortable in. I'd say the ESJs are idealized as types in culture.
    () 9w8-3w4-7w6 tritype.

sCueI (primary Inquisition)

Permabanned
    MBTI
    xkcd
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/sp
    Socionics
    INT_

Quote Originally Posted by marmalade.sunrise View Post
    Honestly I thought the Western world currently preferred NTs: scientific, rational thinkers. Isn't that part of the dominant culture type? I read somewhere that Americans idealize ENTJs or something like that.
    Nope, it's an SJ culture with strong SP tendencies.

videodrones; questions Verfremdungseffekt's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTp
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    Eh?

Even schools are arranged toward pushing SJ students through -- which is a little screwed-up, as the methods involved don't actually involve learning on anyone's part. What they do is allow S-oriented students to leap some proscribed hurdles and claim a tool to help them succeed in the world. Meanwhile all the NTs who are actually interested in learning something are instead left memorizing lists of arbitrary junk...

MBTI
    INTP

I agree with BlackCat and MacGuffin, that the general culture is set up for SJs, especially ESJs. I find that I'm usually invisible to the general population, so I have to make sure I find manager sponsors in my job that realize that what I do is important to the organization so that I'm treated fairly (e.g. getting fair pay, getting onto the good projects).

In academia, it is totally different, where NT is king. I did like the intellectual part of academia, but I found the whole "publish or die" part of the equation a bit much since I just felt like I had to prove myself over and over, ad infinitum.
    For those non-Canadians in the audience, Finnegan is the dog.

Banned
    MBTI
    type
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by Aderack View Post
    Even schools are arranged toward pushing SJ students through -- which is a little screwed-up, as the methods involved don't actually involve learning on anyone's part. What they do is allow S-oriented students to leap some proscribed hurdles and claim a tool to help them succeed in the world. Meanwhile all the NTs who are actually interested in learning something are instead left memorizing lists of arbitrary junk...
    I have that experience a lot myself. We just learn the SOL stuff, which is just a joke. Just keep on putting in answers until they match up. The NT's that watn to learn have probably already found out what they were after on the first day after getting the textbook.

P.S.: I am not trolling.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    ILI

Some people feel threatened by our emotional distance, and resistance to manipulation. They "feel" that they should be able to "reason" with us.
    The word "reason" has a very different meaning for us.
    INtP...RCUEI primary I...5w4...INTp... ILI...The Artist Formerly Known As Car!ssa

I thought it was intps who hated the world. I've always liked the few people I know that are intp. Probably the most logically intelligent people I have ever met.

MBTI
    isfp
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

The INTPs I've known were funny, easy-going, and not overly attached to the acceptance of others. Possibly the majority of environments are in some way out-of-step with the INTP way of operating and thinking so that employment can cause issues of demoralization and internal shut-down, but this does not equate to people hating INTPs. The one's I know are charming and likeable. I've also known cases where if the whole world hated them, they might think it was funny, be frustrated when it conflicted with their own mode of operating, but seriously not care about it like most people would. I worked for years to emulate that sort of detachment. It is necessary for survival I think, and I've known few who have it in spades like the INTP.
    Step into my metaphysical room of mirrors.
    Fear of reality creates myopic morality
    So I guess it means there is trouble until the robins come
    (from Blue Velvet)

I want to be just like my mother, even if she is bat-shit crazy.

Habitual Fi LineStepper JocktheMotie's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by toonia View Post
    The INTPs I've known were funny, easy-going, and not overly attached to the acceptance of others. Possibly the majority of environments are in some way out-of-step with the INTP way of operating and thinking so that employment can cause issues of demoralization and internal shut-down, but this does not equate to people hating INTPs. The one's I know are charming and likeable. I've also known cases where if the whole world hated them, they might think it was funny, be frustrated when it conflicted with their own mode of operating, but seriously not care about it like most people would. I worked for years to emulate that sort of detachment. It is necessary for survival I think, and I've known few who have it in spades like the INTP.
    I don't really know, while this detachment works well in certain environments, when it comes to relationships it's absolutely disastrous. It makes me wonder why NFs like us at all. It is difficult to explain to someone the complete apathy one can have for another's situation. My mom thought I needed psychological help, as she's Fe dom. I just...don't care, most of the time.