• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[INTP] Does the world hate INTP's? All types welcome.

Oom

Your time is gonna come.
MBTI Type
IsfP
Enneagram
5w4
I don't ask people if they like me. It also comes to my attention that most people are rather "two faced". Most people seem like they like me or are indifferent to me, but then again they could always be stuck in highschool mode and talk about me behind my back.

Blank

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
...I enjoy other people's misfortune. :sorry:

Please don't tell the NF's.

SolitaryWalker

Tenured roisterer
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Generally, the INTP tends to be irritating to others, but not deserving of hatred. The main reason why this is the case is because most people need to be disturbed by another person in order for them to truly loath the person in question. The INTP tends to be rather passive and reserved with those who find him disagreeable. He simply does not interact with such persons enough to profoundly disturb them and as a result cause them to hate him.

The INTP is a combination of unconscious dispositions that tends to lead the person to be analytical and inquisitive. (Granted that the person in question managed to stay true to his type and has actualized much of his potential).

This entails that the INTP will be true to his thoughts first and foremost. As a result, he tends to make little effort to be agreeable to others. Very simply, most people find the INTP irritating because the INTP tends to make little effort to make accommodate them.

Rajah

Reigning Bologna Princess
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
No, I don't think the world hates INTPs.

But I do think a significant minority views introverted thinking as snobbery, which translates into distrust/dislike of the particular INTP. I suspect that explains a large part of any perceived "hatred."

SolitaryWalker

Tenured roisterer
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
No, I don't think the world hates INTPs.

But I do think a significant minority views introverted thinking as snobbery, which translates into distrust/dislike of the particular INTP. I suspect that explains a large part of any perceived "hatred."

I think there are good reasons to suppose that a majority of the population may be uncomfortable around INTPs. First of all because INTPs tend not to carefully look into what the needs of other people are, hence they unintentionally irritate or offend them. Secondly, INTPs tend to enjoy questioning and analyzing things around them. This is something that most people regard as difficult and annoying. They just want to go with the flow, experience life, not theorize about it. When they perceive somebody suggesting that they should theorize more, they obviously get uncomfortable and become irritated with the source of their discomfort.

Blurr

MBTI Type
INTP
I get the impression that a INTPs may be hated by those who perceive us to be (and don't like) hippies, communists, etc. due to our laid back nature, demeanor and overall personality.

Oom

Your time is gonna come.
MBTI Type
IsfP
Enneagram
5w4
I think there are good reasons to suppose that a majority of the population may be uncomfortable around INTPs. First of all because INTPs tend not to carefully look into what the needs of other people are, hence they unintentionally irritate or offend them. Secondly, INTPs tend to enjoy questioning and analyzing things around them. This is something that most people regard as difficult and annoying. They just want to go with the flow, experience life, not theorize about it. When they perceive somebody suggesting that they should theorize more, they obviously get uncomfortable and become irritated with the source of their discomfort.

You can really deduce things. Also I'm not trying to brown nose, I'm just saying I respect it. But I do think that you're points are most valid.

*What's that on my nose?*:huh:

Into It

MBTI Type
ENFP
I wouldn't be surprised if lots of INTP's feel like they aren't accepted because they know that often those around them do not feel accepted.

Edit: Or this may be the reality for the same reason.

"If you look long enough into the void the void begins to look back through you." -Nietzsche

Into It

MBTI Type
ENFP

Your other reasons are almost invisible when compared to this one. People don't realize that you are built for systematizing, and that you are as caring, in a sense, as anyone else, because everyone is as caring as they feel they should be, different people just have the threshold set at different points. So what I mean is that an INTP who is not trying to be "extra nice" or "insensitive," will be seen as insensitive by many anyway, which is unfortunate. So...I think I just said what you just said but in more words. :doh:

Edit: SW, have you made an effort to work on your Fe? It seems like you're always in Ti-overdrive. This is not a bad thing, in fact, most people who read your posts would say that this is a good thing. But I have found myself wondering...with so much Ti, you probably disregard Fe even more than the average INTP. What do you think about this?

SolitaryWalker

Tenured roisterer
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Your other reasons are almost invisible when compared to this one. People don't realize that you are built for systematizing, and that you are as caring, in a sense, as anyone else, because everyone is as caring as they feel they should be,:?

My point: What you just said is not true. It is not the case that INTPs are just as caring as everyone else.

Reasons: In order to be caring one needs to exercise the Feeling faculty, or simply make emotional commitments to other people. In simplest of terms, it means paying attention to their feelings and avoiding upsetting them. A person who tends to be detached from emotions is unable to care as much as a person who is not. (It is possible for an INTP to go against his typological dispositions and use his Feeling faculty, yet most INTPs tend not to do this, they stay true to their type and supress Feeling.)

Forever_Jung

MBTI Type
ESFJ
My point: What you just said is not true. It is not the case that INTPs are just as caring as everyone else.

Reasons: In order to be caring one needs to exercise the Feeling faculty, or simply make emotional commitments to other people. In simplest of terms, it means paying attention to their feelings and avoiding upsetting them. A person who tends to be detached from emotions is unable to care as much as a person who is not. (It is possible for an INTP to go against his typological dispositions and use his Feeling faculty, yet most INTPs tend not to do this, they stay true to their type and supress Feeling.)

I don't think you could explain it much clearer than that.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Edit: SW, have you made an effort to work on your Fe? It seems like you're always in Ti-overdrive. This is not a bad thing, in fact, most people who read your posts would say that this is a good thing. But I have found myself wondering...with so much Ti, you probably disregard Fe even more than the average INTP. What do you think about this?

Yikes.

*sticks finger in the air, peers at the sky on the far horizon*

Yup, storm's brewing. Best batten down the hatches.

(hmm, your first name is "Get," isn't it? or will be?)

... INTPs generally wouldn't care so much that you get the terminology right. It's enough that they know.

Context is everything.

If sloppy language mis-defines or misrepresents the truth of the situation, then sloppy language is abhorrent.

But if the terminology has no real impact on nuance or the main gist is still getting across, then no, it doesn't really matter... it's just a superficial detail. Pointless consistency is the hobgoblin of the foolish mind.

Jonathanthegreat

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Oh noesss other than my little brother ISTP, my best friend aside from him is Jordan the INTP! He is gloomy like you though. I think it's an NP thing. Feel so "victimized" to your surroundings and life. BUT NO, I do not hate INTP's except the one above me ;) jkkkk

Domino

ENFJ In Chains
MBTI Type
eNFJ
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I hate it when I gleefully bounce up and down on an INTP and something breaks off.