User Tag List

First 101819202122 Last

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Red Herring View Post
    I had no intention of attacking INTs, not at all. In fact I said, if people don´t like you (the rhetorical "you") it´s propably you, not your type. In other words: nothing wrong with the type. I attacked self-righteosness, not NTness.
    Oh, really?
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Herring View Post
    is not like you don´t hear that kind of reasoning from other INTs on this forum... so it was partly directed at the Op and partly at anybody identifying with him (you know who you are).
    I wonder why you felt the need to restrict your condescending aside to INTs then?
    You did not ask for clarification but started an ad hominem attack.
    If I criticize people who think they are superior to everybody else and don´t even try to understand those around them and you interpret that as an attack on NTs, that´s quite telling
    Who said anything about thinking one is superior? Now you are just making shit up. I asked who you were talking to - that was your chance to provide clarification. And you did. Of your prejudice. Hence you failed to make a valid point.
    Also, I thought you were leaving this pointless discussion? I guess everything you say should be taken with a pinch of salt...
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    Gosh, the world looks so small from up here on my high horse of menstruation.

ReflecTcelfeR

Quote Originally Posted by Morgan Le Fay View Post
    INTPs are more likely to be oblivious to interest than to misinterpret it. I think that's less true for INTJs who seem to be overrepresented in the crazy stalker populace.
    j/k
    Is there a particular reason behind this?

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by ReflecttcelfeR View Post
    Is there a particular reason behind this?
    The oblivious bit? Or the crazy stalker bit?
    INTPs are in their heads most of the time and oblivious to just about everything in their environment, unless it is a focus of study, in which case it is scrutinized to excess.

They are taught to believe that they are inferior in the sphere of interpersonal relations - socially maladjusted, geeky, clumsy, awkward - and tend to devalue themselves, so frequently are skeptical that anyone could really be interested in them. Beyond that, even if they are awesome and know it, few people understand them or get to see anything other than the default vacant expression / blank stare, so they believe it unlikely that they'd attract interest, or if they do, it's for the "wrong" reasons. The ability to reinterpret the same data in 1001 different ways, coupled with an aversion for premature conclusions, means that they tend to err on the side of caution when assessing other's motives. And the drive for objectivity and need for self-sufficiency mean they are less likely to project their own desires onto the object of their desires.

I've been smacked on the head with a marriage proposal before having any idea that someone was into me, but I am pretty damned oblivious, even for an INTP.

ReflecTcelfeR

INTPs are in their heads most of the time and oblivious to just about everything in their environment, unless it is a focus of study, in which case it is scrutinized to excess.

They are taught to believe that they are inferior in the sphere of interpersonal relations - socially maladjusted, geeky, clumsy, awkward - and tend to devalue themselves, so frequently are skeptical that anyone could really be interested in them. Beyond that, even if they are awesome and know it, few people understand them or get to see anything other than the default vacant expression / blank stare, so they believe it unlikely that they'd attract interest, or if they do, it's for the "wrong" reasons. The ability to reinterpret the same data in 1001 different ways, coupled with an aversion for premature conclusions, means that they tend to err on the side of caution when assessing other's motives. And the drive for objectivity and need for self-sufficiency mean they are less likely to project their own desires onto the object of their desires.

I've been smacked on the head with a marriage proposal before having any idea that someone was into me, but I am pretty damned oblivious, even for an INTP.
    Hmmmm... it seems like a rather tough situation to deal with, I think it's quite depressing that logic like this is allowed to remain even though enough people realize that it occurs. I think it's even more depressing that I can relate to those feelings. Marriage?! What about the first date?

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by ReflecttcelfeR View Post
    Marriage?! What about the first date?
    When is a date not a date?
    When it's with an INTP.

ReflecTcelfeR

When is a date not a date?
    When it's with an INTP.
    Hahaha, I think that's a catchy new line for that type.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    xkcd
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/sp
    Socionics
    INT_

It matches with Hustler's "I'm INTP, flirt harder".

MBTI
    INTP

Wow. That is absolutely perfectly it, in a nutshell. I'm tempted to put THAT on a t-shirt.

Additionally, some of us learn to function juuuuuuust well enough to "pass" as a more social type in the real world, which leads others to expect us to act a certain way when they befriend us or try to have a relationship with us. And then take it personally when we're not what they expected. I have never figured out a way around this.
    Something Witty

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Tallulah View Post
    Additionally, some of us learn to function juuuuuuust well enough to "pass" as a more social type in the real world, which leads others to expect us to act a certain way when they befriend us or try to have a relationship with us. And then take it personally when we're not what they expected. I have never figured out a way around this.
    Not even with another INTP?

MBTI
    INTP

Not even with another INTP?
    My INTP turned out to be an ENTP. Alas. We actually bonded over the thing I mentioned above, but there was still a level on which we weren't connecting. So, good on some levels, completely missed each other on other levels. Hrumph.
    Something Witty