• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[ENTP] ENTPs and relationship sabotage?

marmandahalf

Do any other ENTPs get some strange pleasure out of artistically sabotaging relationships? Or is that just a general dysfunction thing?

Synarch

Once Was
MBTI Type
ENTP
Do any other ENTPs get some strange pleasure out of artistically sabotaging relationships? Or is that just a general dysfunction thing?

Well, I have noticed when I begin a relationship that I tend to "test" people. I think it's because I am so guarded and cautious that I want to make sure someone really cares about me. This might seem like sabotage.

thisGuy

MBTI Type
entp

no

but then again its prolly the artistic part that attracts you

i talked a buddy into liking another buddy's possible gf once cuz i was bored....never ever again

jenocyde

half mystic, half skeksis
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
I've done it in the past. I don't get pleasure out of it.
What did you do?

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
ENTPs and relationship sabotage?

:)

ENTP always need a partner who can read between between the lines. A partner like this would be unique and indeed entp partners are.

Gengar

MBTI Type
INFP
the only person an ENTP likes to sabotage is themselves. According to my friend (an ENTP), he never goes out with girls unless they're bitchy. And by bitchy I mean the type of manipulative person who talks crap about the other person all day long (even their partners!)

Apart from that, I don't think ENTPs in particular like sabotaging others. It's more of an upbringing kind of thing.

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
In many cases, sabotaging a relationship is the most humane thing to do.

I have never done it myself. :devil:

jenocyde

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
Self-sabotage. I know a thing or two about it. My friends always comment on my choice of romantic partners, and the lack of cohesion or pattern in my choices. They say that I piss in the gene pool quite frequently. In a way, they are correct because I never set out looking for the perfect mate, in my mind he doesn't exist. I don't even actively look for partners, it never crosses my mind to do so. I've always felt I was destined to single, and I've always been completely fine with that. Life is good either way.

I fill up my days hanging around people who *interest* me. But the problem is that pretty much everyone on the planet is interesting to me in some way. I chat with everyone from the cop to the robber, equally fascinated by both. So, as I explore humankind, I tend to fall into relationships with those who simply declare themselves to be my boyfriend. I guess after a certain amount of time has passed, and I'm still hanging around, they feel that this is the next logical step or something. It's the only thing I'm pretty passive about in life. In another thread, I've equated it with being clubbed over the head and dragged back to the cave. I usually get stunned at first, then the lack of oxygen makes me drift into sleepy acceptance for a while. After a few months I slowly process what just happened, panic, then I furiously gnaw at my own foot in order to escape the trap.

It doesn't matter if said person is in fact the perfect choice for me, the point is I feel trapped since I never made the active decision to be in that relationship. And then the need to escape becomes overwhelming, if only on principle alone.

jenocyde

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
And on the rare occasions when I actually like someone, this happens:

Well, I have noticed when I begin a relationship that I tend to "test" people. I think it's because I am so guarded and cautious that I want to make sure someone really cares about me. This might seem like sabotage.

Either way, for me: relationships = FAIL

Ardea

o edward cullen!
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
Self-sabotage. I know a thing or two about it. My friends always comment on my choice of romantic partners, and the lack of cohesion or pattern in my choices. They say that I piss in the gene pool quite frequently. In a way, they are correct because I never set out looking for the perfect mate, in my mind he doesn't exist. I don't even actively look for partners, it never crosses my mind to do so. I've always felt I was destined to single, and I've always been completely fine with that. Life is good either way.

I fill up my days hanging around people who *interest* me. But the problem is that pretty much everyone on the planet is interesting to me in some way. I chat with everyone from the cop to the robber, equally fascinated by both. So, as I explore humankind, I tend to fall into relationships with those who simply declare themselves to be my boyfriend. I guess after a certain amount of time has passed, and I'm still hanging around, they feel that this is the next logical step or something. It's the only thing I'm pretty passive about in life. In another thread, I've equated it with being clubbed over the head and dragged back to the cave. I usually get stunned at first, then the lack of oxygen makes me drift into sleepy acceptance for a while. After a few months I slowly process what just happened, panic, then I furiously gnaw at my own foot in order to escape the trap.

It doesn't matter if said person is in fact the perfect choice for me, the point is I feel trapped since I never made the active decision to be in that relationship. And then the need to escape becomes overwhelming, if only on principle alone.

:shock:

About 75% of what you just said feels like you looked at my life...

And, after way too many failed relationships, I've realized that I do this not out of self-sabotage, but instead to serve my desperate need to be free. I cannot be tied down and desperately guarded. I need trust and freedom. We are what we are.

I do do this. It's to make sure that they're strong enough, though. I always doubt, but if they make it through, they win.

A friend once told an ex "Well you've made it this far, and you're not broken, so there's something right with you!"
There might be something to that statement.

In simple terms, I guess we test to see "if they can hang".

Combine these two statements... and you get:

LifeExplore said:
During this period, ENTPs explore the closeness until they can be certain that they have looked at all of the possibilities. Because of this, they are not likely to settle down early. When they do become involved in a relationship, they generally want to maintain as much independence and freedom as their loved one can tolerate. Their mates may need to have high self-esteem and to be independent themselves in order to accept the ENTP need for freedom and novelty.

jenocyde

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
Yeah Femme, that's what I was getting at. Very well said.

Relationships don't feel free when I wake up and find myself trapped in one. If there was someone who would let me dip my toe in the water - slowly and consciously - and allow me to ease in at my own very slow pace... If a man really really could handle me getting out occasionally and let me dive back in again, then I would be in heaven. But that's never been the case, even if I promise not to swim anywhere else in the interim. Possessiveness is the biggest, ugliest turn off for me. I don't think anyone should ever try to own another human being. And that's what it feels like, even if that's not the intent.

Synarch

Once Was
MBTI Type
ENTP

+1 Yep. So go slow and go after someone who gives you a wide latitude. Has their own life and shit.

Synarch

Once Was
MBTI Type
ENTP
Yeah Femme, that's what I was getting at. Very well said.

Relationships don't feel free when I wake up and find myself trapped in one. If there was someone who would let me dip my toe in the water - slowly and consciously - and allow me to ease in at my own very slow pace... If a man really really could handle me getting out occasionally and let me dive back in again, then I would be in heaven. But that's never been the case, even if I promise not to swim anywhere else in the interim. Possessiveness is the biggest, ugliest turn off for me. I don't think anyone should ever try to own another human being. And that's what it feels like, even if that's not the intent.

That's why ENTP works with strong INFJ. INFJ are soooo not possessive. Not really. IME, they seem to genuinely consider and care about what you want. You just have to, you know, be up front and shit.

jenocyde

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
I've stopped going after people for serious relationships a long time ago. But good to know that there is a potential type that could appreciate my temperament - just don't know if I'd feel the same way about theirs. I can be such an ass sometimes.

EcK

The Memes Justify the End
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
I'm mister self sabotage. In a way. Also I'm quite childlike when it comes to dealing with 'people who like me'.
avoid or do as if nothing happened 'last night'.

I can be smoother than butter but when it comes to follow up i'm like 'boy..friend? ow, don't u prefer like, drinking buddy? We could meet in clubs, bars and all. It could be fun !

It's like the walls as closing in on me or something.

Lexicon

Temporal Mechanic
Staff member
MBTI Type
JINX
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
...and shit.

Funny.. I just mentioned earlier that it'd only be fitting for an ENTP to follow up his own post like this.

But anyway. Wholeheartedly agree. You have to be upfront. Cuz.. we do care, don't want to own you.. don't need to own you.
And shit.

Synarch

Once Was
MBTI Type
ENTP
I've stopped going after people for serious relationships a long time ago. But good to know that there is a potential type that could appreciate my temperament - just don't know if I'd feel the same way about theirs. I can be such an ass sometimes.

Nah. You're cool. You just buy into your own bullshit. It's a coping mechanism.