User Tag List

First 123 Last

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by ryb View Post
    Must find... what I can't find...
    Yes, that sums it up.

I think I am either too old or to lazy to set any new goals. Mostly trying to keep updated and competitive in my field, and then I have various random interests (MBTI one of the lattest)

Quote Originally Posted by Prometheus View Post
    What are your intellectual goals? Are they broad like being wise? Or more specific like learning some particular forreing language? Do you feel the need to master a field and innovate it?
    I have a heirarchy of goals. The specific ones feed the broad ones (like being wise, and living up to my potential).

I have wanted to invent/discover some technology, technique, theory, or idea that tranforms human life for the better. Whenever, I feel disconnected, or completely blocked from this goal (weather or not I actually accomplish it doesn't matter, as long as I am moving forward) I feel essentially dead inside, completely worthless and without purpose. When I feel like I am making great progress I feel like "this is what I was made to do." Somehow there is a spiritual component to it.

Accept the past. Live for the present. Look forward to the future.
    Robot Fusion
    "As our island of knowledge grows, so does the shore of our ignorance." John Wheeler
    "[A] scientist looking at nonscientific problems is just as dumb as the next guy." Richard Feynman
    "[P]etabytes of [] data is not the same thing as understanding emergent mechanisms and structures." Jim Crutchfield

filling some space UnitOfPopulation's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTJ

Being rated undeterminedly high in any and all IQ tests I have encountered, while being ENXX, most probably ENTP, I would set my intellectual goal at solving the N=NP problem or a problem of similar magnitude. Yes, that's one of the open questions of computer science where the reward for solution is set at about 1M$.

It's not actually the intellectual problem I'm looking after, as I'm trying to strive forward in life.. which has been most hard. I think that I better skip the most hard intellectual challenges that are pushed before me, and accept the creative and impulsive needs that I face. With that background, the only intellectual challenges that I face are practical.

How do I convice myself to accept the usual social values and goals at a real level? How do I get myself away from online encyclopedias and books I've bought, to make some real work and results that are appreciated in the community that I live in?

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTj

Quote Originally Posted by Santtu View Post
    How do I convice myself to accept the usual social values and goals at a real level? How do I get myself away from online encyclopedias and books I've bought, to make some real work and results that are appreciated in the community that I live in?
    Money.

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by FDG View Post
    Money.
    Sex and candy are good too.

filling some space UnitOfPopulation's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTJ

Quote Originally Posted by FDG View Post
    Money.
    Yep, that would do it.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTj

Quote Originally Posted by Prometheus View Post
    Sex and candy are good too.
    Yes, Sex=Love>Money

MBTI
    XNTX

Quote Originally Posted by Caleban View Post
    Picking fault in spelling skills has no point. If the general idea can be communicated, spelling is just extra.

Don't be a snob dude
    Actually, it wasn't a reference precisely to any particular poster.

Most people in IT I come across (and they are in the absolute vast majority males and more NT) are poorer at spelling than other similar professionals that I have worked with. (And likely, a lot less NT amongst them).

Most IT males seem to be so maths orientated that somewhere along the schooling line they really have binned English. (Or spelling doesn't stick in their minds which is more likely, thats why they gravitated towards Maths).

Quote Originally Posted by Veneti View Post
    Actually, it wasn't a reference precisely to any particular poster.

Most people in IT I come across (and they are in the absolute vast majority males and more NT) are poorer at spelling than other similar professionals that I have worked with. (And likely, a lot less NT amongst them).

Most IT males seem to be so maths orientated that somewhere along the schooling line they really have binned English. (Or spelling doesn't stick in their minds which is more likely, thats why they gravitated towards Maths).
    Why get good at something we can get a program to do for us?

Marketing should be a new target for automation

Accept the past. Live for the present. Look forward to the future.
    Robot Fusion
    "As our island of knowledge grows, so does the shore of our ignorance." John Wheeler
    "[A] scientist looking at nonscientific problems is just as dumb as the next guy." Richard Feynman
    "[P]etabytes of [] data is not the same thing as understanding emergent mechanisms and structures." Jim Crutchfield