User Tag List

MBTI
    eNtP
    Enneagram
    4w5/

Default Is there a common denominator to INTPs' line of interest?

I've read some INTP descriptions on the web. Some of them I find questionable. For example, some INTPs are described as Engineers, but isn't Engineering too Te extensive?

I don't know. Some members here do score high on both Te's and Ti's, but I find the two to be too polarized to be strong both on an INTP.

Or maybe the Ne/Ti is somehow giving an impression on an INTP that he can handle the Te workload.

I gave up on Te years ago. For one, I realized that just because I can be good at it, it wouldn't give that much leverage in the long run if I never really liked it.

I actually liked Humanities more, actually. It encompasses the softer sciences, gives more room for Ne/Ti, doesn't have the J accountability, and being human in nature, it has better potential to sustain a learner's interest longer.

For the longest time, I've always considered INTPs to have the spirited nature of artisans while having the intellectual prowess of someone...err...academic/corporate, where the humanities act as a bridgeway.

I get bored easily as a stereotypical INTP, and I dont see how things like triple integrals in calculus can sustain an INTPs interest, let alone make a career out of it.

MBTI
    ENTj
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    ENTj

Quote Originally Posted by Cypocalypse View Post
    I actually liked Humanities more, actually. It encompasses the softer sciences, gives more room for Ne/Ti, doesn't have the J accountability, and being human in nature, it has better potential to sustain a learner's interest longer.
    I love the humanities. Philosophy, psychology, sociology.. I could spend my life in those classes. I'm even considering changing majors. I was going the typical business route focused on finance, but after realizing how interesting philosophy and psychology are and how boring accounting is, I'm thinking about taking up a career in academia.
    ENTJ LIE
    3w4 sp/sx
    3w4(4w5)-5w6(6w7)-9w8(1w9)

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Azseroffs View Post
    I love the humanities. Philosophy, psychology, sociology.. I could spend my life in those classes. I'm even considering changing majors. I was going the typical business route focused on finance, but after realizing how interesting philosophy and psychology are and how boring accounting is, I'm thinking about taking up a career in academia.
    My first love, in personal, independent research - when I was 12 - 15 years old - was psychology. In college, I was flirting with an anthropology minor.

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    SLE

I have always preferred the humanities.
    Artes, Scientia, Veritasiness

Senior Member professor goodstain's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7~7
    Socionics
    IEE

I believe it is the force of Ne. I speculate that Ti can accept info from other sources, however (don't say anything but) those other sources would be vague due to there transparency. Why take in info from a newspaper printed a few days ago. IMO, not knockin anybody.

When i was young i was interested in psych too. i did not go to college. In a way i learned alot about psych via very different sorts of folks as appossed to books. Don't get me wrong, I am leanin on the idea that mbti can help me make a decision with very little time to make it if i know more about preferences along with every other crazy action made by sane humans in an environment created by fate. Sane humans that become temperarily insane in an environment that begs that calling.

INTPs (imo) common denominator is found in (ta or rik/ik) in an ancient language. It is, what english has labeled, a partitive suffix. PARTITIVE suffix. It's got P all over it. Inturn, the Ps inluence in INTP dominates with special gratitude to Ne.

Don't let that Fe get too mature either. Because if you ever bump into an imminent situation (as in guns are involved) you'll wish you hadn't.
    everyone uses every function about evenly. take NE for example. if there are those who don't use it much, then why are there such massive amounts of people constantly flowing through Wallmart with 20 items or less?

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Architect more than engineer. At least in conception, engineering involves more Te -- specific concrete thought and logistical problem resolution and hard math. Architect is more design-oriented in how it's approached, thinking on a more global level. It's more Ti/Ne to look at things from a definition and big-picture perspective, as well as mixing form and function.

I am interested in anything complex, that can capture my brain and imagination, and I like things that merge beauty and truth. I think the degree of this can vary from INTP to INTP, depending on the S/Te function strength (so some will find this in computer code or hard science for example, and others with perhaps more N function strength need a broader more artistic/evocative focus).

What fascinates me about human behavior and sociology/psychology is the same thing that captures my passion when I sit on the Pacific coast and watch the clouds and surf swirl about in complicated patterns that bely their external chaos. There is truth there, some sort of pattern that might be discerned if you were just smart or perceptive enough, but it's hard to take it all in.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

deleted

Just an NT thing I read.

They own a well-developed analytical and inventive thinking, vivid imagination, even when their real occupations (e.g. a farm owner) is not relevant to abstract speculations. Their interests are various; often they even have knowledge that seems redundant to others, for the reason that it may be useful one day. They think a lot and often offer unusual, non-standard solutions. The Achilles heel of Researches (exactly what they must sacrifice for their perfect mental skills) is that they are often tactless in relations with people. They can find brilliant solutions, but get stuck at their implementation, because of awkwardness in handling the human factor, as well as of forgetting those boring details.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    Architect more than engineer. At least in conception, engineering involves more Te -- specific concrete thought and logistical problem resolution and hard math. Architect is more design-oriented in how it's approached, thinking on a more global level. It's more Ti/Ne to look at things from a definition and big-picture perspective, as well as mixing form and function.

I am interested in anything complex, that can capture my brain and imagination, and I like things that merge beauty and truth. I think the degree of this can vary from INTP to INTP, depending on the S/Te function strength (so some will find this in computer code or hard science for example, and others with perhaps more N function strength need a broader more artistic/evocative focus).

What fascinates me about human behavior and sociology/psychology is the same thing that captures my passion when I sit on the Pacific coast and watch the clouds and surf swirl about in complicated patterns that bely their external chaos. There is truth there, some sort of pattern that might be discerned if you were just smart or perceptive enough, but it's hard to take it all in.
    Exactly.

The INTPs never invent.
    They find out.

Unfortunately the modern architects re-invent the laws of physics.
    They are bad architects.

The unsupported roofs collapse and kill people.
    The inefficient ventilation system prevents the escape of surplus water. People get sick.
    The foundation of buildings is made of concrete, instead of stone.
    Read the news of Italy.

Invention tactics does not improve architecture.

Senior Member professor goodstain's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7~7
    Socionics
    IEE

Quote Originally Posted by professor goodstain View Post

Don't let that Fe get too mature either. Because if you ever bump into an imminent situation (as in guns are involved) you'll wish you hadn't.
    After rereading this several thousand times i can see that could project some ambiguity as to stains/my character. Being in situations where guns are involved was part of my job desciption. Surface based training in procedure in these situations is in the schooling i attended long ago. Unfortunatety stints in jail in order to build a false reputation are also in that job desciption. Mbti however, is not found in any schooling/training. For the record.
    everyone uses every function about evenly. take NE for example. if there are those who don't use it much, then why are there such massive amounts of people constantly flowing through Wallmart with 20 items or less?