• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[INTP] unbalanced INTP

run

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Does an INTP that neglects Ne more mature than he would be otherwise? He thinks he is mature, but I think he actually is. I've noticed that when I've spent long periods alone (winter/summer break), and come back, I'm not as blind to the bullshit of my peers (college kids). But around my friends, I'm more fake, immature, etc. Any thoughts?

BlackCat

Shaman
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I think since you aren't subjected to others you come back more like yourself. You probably don't neglect your Ne, you just don't use it to act silly and to "get along" with others when you're alone.

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
A Ne neglecting INTP might appear more mature then one that doesn't neglect Ne.

But personally, I believe maturity is more then just the way you appear to be. *nod*

I love Ne. :>

Azseroffs

MBTI Type
ENTj
Enneagram
5w4
Ne only appears immature when coupled with Fe. INTPs can't mature without Ne. Ne is what makes us open-minded. We'd be TiSi all the time which would make us stubborn and boring. Don't abandon Ne! (it's not like you could if you wanted to anyway.)

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Ne only appears immature when coupled with Fe. INTPs can't mature without Ne. Ne is what makes us open-minded. We'd be TiSi all the time which would make us stubborn and boring. Don't abandon Ne! (it's not like you could if you wanted to anyway.)

Pretty much what I would have said, except for the part about Fe making your Ne immature. If you use Fe immaturely, then sure; but Fe is not immature on its own, it's just a function; it takes our own screwups and inexperience to use it immaturely, don't blame the function.

Neglect your secondary at your peril, you act a lot more immature in the big scale of things if all you do is focus on your primary. (Basically it's the rule of "To a guy with a hammer, everything looks like a nail" -- not a great way to approach life, because there's a lot of stuff in life that you'll trash if you treat it like a nail.)

Ti+Si INTPs are as boring as hell and tend to build a defensive wall and use their resources to be self-protective rather than being brave and engaging the world. You need the Ne to engage.

Pretty much these principles apply to ANY personality type -- look out for relying too much on your tertiary simply because it goes in the same direction as your primary, don't always rely solely on your primary, and make sure you use your secondary so that you either get grounded (for extroverts) or else engage the external world (for introverts).

Orangey

Blah
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
6w5
for the INTP it's when we're really weird and crazy. Usually only around our closest friends/family.

Gotcha. But if that's immaturity, then I say screw maturity.

Azseroffs

MBTI Type
ENTj
Enneagram
5w4
Pretty much what I would have said, except for the part about Fe making your Ne immature. If you use Fe immaturely, then sure; but Fe is not immature on its own, it's just a function; it takes our own screwups and inexperience to use it immaturely, don't blame the function.

I meant that when we appear to be acting immature it's when we're using Fe. I didn't mean that we're always immature when we use it.

immature almost always Fe
Fe not always immature

Neglect your secondary at your peril, you act a lot more immature in the big scale of things if all you do is focus on your primary. (Basically it's the rule of "To a guy with a hammer, everything looks like a nail" -- not a great way to approach life, because there's a lot of stuff in life that you'll trash if you treat it like a nail.)

Ti+Si INTPs are as boring as hell and tend to build a defensive wall and use their resources to be self-protective rather than being brave and engaging the world. You need the Ne to engage.

agreed

Improving your auxiliary function is a major factor for for personal growth. Abandoning Ne turns you into the TiSi INTP you described.

JAVO

MBTI Type
eNTP
I think neglecting Ne also makes us more I, and being more I makes us less Ne. That was the case with for some time, and I consider it a less mature phase of my life.

Azseroffs

MBTI Type
ENTj
Enneagram
5w4
Gotcha. But if that's immaturity, then I say screw maturity.

I just meant that the average INTP acts this way when engaging in Fe. Ne is the most important part of maturity, but control of our inferior (often called aspiration function) Fe is a task not completed by most until later life. Control of Fe means complete maturity. Normally when we engage in Fe we seem immature.

I think neglecting Ne also makes us more I, and being more I makes us less Ne. That was the case with for some time, and I consider it a less mature phase of my life.

totally true.

If we're not using Ne we have to use Si. TiSi is quite introverted, or else we use SiFe which is not as introverted but it is completely unnatural to us and quite fake.

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
And besides all that, there's still the question as to what maturity really means.

I believe to reach maturity, it's important to find a balance between introvert and extravert behaviour and master that balance. And for INTP's, Using Ne is our way to do so.

CJ99

Is Willard in Footloose!!
MBTI Type
ENTP
Does an INTP that neglects Ne more mature than he would be otherwise? He thinks he is mature, but I think he actually is. I've noticed that when I've spent long periods alone (winter/summer break), and come back, I'm not as blind to the bullshit of my peers (college kids). But around my friends, I'm more fake, immature, etc. Any thoughts?

You seem to be relating mature to seriousness. Out of all my relatives my great aunt and uncles are the most mature i know but the least serious.

run

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
By immature I mean college kids in large flocks. They all have a mature side, but the drama and the fakeness is contagious when they get in groups.

You seem to be relating mature to seriousness. Out of all my relatives my great aunt and uncles are the most mature i know but the least serious.

I don't know what you mean.

CJ99

Is Willard in Footloose!!
MBTI Type
ENTP
By immature I mean college kids in large flocks. They all have a mature side, but the drama and the fakeness is contagious when they get in groups.

I don't know what you mean.

I mean being thoughtful and serious doesn't make you mature.

L

Lasting_Pain

In order to be completely mature, you must master your Fe and unfortunately if you are still young, that will be a hard task.

foodeater

MBTI Type
PINT
When I rely more on Ti than Ne I may seem more mature to observers, but when I look at myself from the perspective of a mature person I realize how naive I really am.