User Tag List

123 Last

Results 1 to 10 of 24

Thread: Se in ENTPs

  1. #1
    Senior Member sculpting's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    4,226

    Default Se in ENTPs

    I stole the quote below from the ENTJ Se thread from Kalach as it nicely summarizes the ENTP:

    "Okay, I'll play Mr Socionics For a Day: the role of the tertiary in ENTPs or the role of Se?

    Tertiary in ENTPs is Fe. It keeps them in the one man up game.

    Ne has them changing things up and seeing patterns; Ti is onboard keeping them clever and tracking down the truth of the patterns they see, at least as long as Ne is still interested in the change-ups; and then there's Fe. Fe's on hand to keep them interesting in people, changing them up and tracking down their truth, at least as long as there's something new in there. So, ENTPs really do love people, but they screw with them anyway.

    Se? Deceiving eighth. Dunno. Makes them really bad at deciding what to grab a'hold of (other than people) for making something come true? "


    Every single ENTP that I show the list of eight functions to latches onto Se after Ne, Ti, Fe and sometimes they will swipe at Ni as well. They all agree that Se is a player occasionally, not all the time. Many will admit they use it as a way to ignore internal discomfort, "they are the craziest when they are the loneliest". Another once told me she parties so she doesn't have to think anymore.

    My guess is that Se and Ne must use competitive circuitry in the brain, so you do one or the other, not both. Thus why they are dominant and demon respectively.

    ENFPs seem to use it some but not to the same extreme like the ENTPs do.

    1) Does this sound accurate?
    2) What is going on functionally underneath this mess?

    My thought is that it has something to do with Ne seeing the possible repercussions/possibilities due to something, some action, some lack of action and thus a shift is made to Se to block out those visions of the future. If they ignore it, it will go away.

    What are they ignoring/blocking out? Fe induced feelings of obligation to others? Pain they have caused in others due to Fe's sometimes manipulative ways?

    Thoughts?

  2. #2
    in-game Gamine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    3w2
    Posts
    815

    Default

    Extraverted Sensing is like my vacation.

    The way I am thinking about it at this moment is that everything changes, everything is dynamic, and my perceptions/ judgments about things are always adapting with new context.

    By being able to "step away" (not "step back" which is more like Super-Ne) from something that I am working through in my mind, I can distract myself with something more experience based. This way, when I go to work on something again, I have a new direction, opportunity, context to think about it. This includes really physical things like dancing, running, sports, hiking and socializing in high-stimulus arenas like clubs.

    My current judgement of what Se is replacing or blocking out is Ne. If it's a social experience, then I still use a lot of Fe. It's not in a "I want something so I'm going to try to get it by using these people" way, but a "I want everyone to have a good time/harmony" deal.

    I'm no function genius, so take what you will. Happy hunting!
    "Beware Those Who Are ALWAYS READING BOOKS" - Bukowski

  3. #3
    The Black Knight Domino's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    MBTI
    eNFJ
    Enneagram
    4w3 sx/so
    Socionics
    eNFJ Ni
    Posts
    11,443

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TwinkleToes View Post
    Extraverted Sensing is like my vacation.
    Hence, when you see an ENTP strongly in the stress grip of their inferior function and out of control, major self-medicating occurs i.e. sleeping around, drinking, drugs, etc.

    Si seems cuddly though.
    eNFJ 4w3 sx/so 468 tritype
    Neutral Good
    EII-Fi subtype, Ethical/Empath, Delta/Beta
    RLUEI, Choleric/Melancholic
    Inquistive/Limbic
    AIS Holland code
    Researcher: VDI-P
    Dramatic>Sensitive>Serious

  4. #4
    in-game Gamine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    3w2
    Posts
    815

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PinkPiranha View Post
    Hence, when you see an ENTP strongly in the stress grip of their inferior function and out of control, major self-medicating occurs i.e. sleeping around, drinking, drugs, etc.

    Si seems cuddly though.
    Those things sound really tacky. And quite expensive. I have yet to meet an ENTP IRL who enjoys those things listed more than the ideas and information around them. Plus, they all require commitment of some kind.
    "Beware Those Who Are ALWAYS READING BOOKS" - Bukowski

  5. #5
    Freshman Member simulatedworld's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    ILE
    Posts
    5,554

    Default

    The part about partying so as to not have to think anymore is right on. I often self-medicate just so I can stop thinking long enough to get to sleep.
    If you could be anything you want, I bet you'd be disappointed--am I right?

  6. #6
    Senior Member BlahBlahNounBlah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6
    Socionics
    ILE
    Posts
    1,458

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TwinkleToes View Post
    Those things sound really tacky. And quite expensive. I have yet to meet an ENTP IRL who enjoys those things listed more than the ideas and information around them. Plus, they all require commitment of some kind.

    I agree.

  7. #7
    Senior Member dga's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Posts
    360

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by simulatedworld View Post
    The part about partying so as to not have to think anymore is right on. I often self-medicate just so I can stop thinking long enough to get to sleep.
    and it sucks when that isnt enough

  8. #8
    Senior Member Qre:us's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    4,909

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by happy puppy View Post
    I stole the quote below from the ENTJ Se thread from Kalach as it nicely summarizes the ENTP:

    "Okay, I'll play Mr Socionics For a Day: the role of the tertiary in ENTPs or the role of Se?

    Tertiary in ENTPs is Fe. It keeps them in the one man up game.

    Ne has them changing things up and seeing patterns; Ti is onboard keeping them clever and tracking down the truth of the patterns they see, at least as long as Ne is still interested in the change-ups; and then there's Fe. Fe's on hand to keep them interesting in people, changing them up and tracking down their truth, at least as long as there's something new in there. So, ENTPs really do love people, but they screw with them anyway.

    Se? Deceiving eighth. Dunno. Makes them really bad at deciding what to grab a'hold of (other than people) for making something come true? "


    Every single ENTP that I show the list of eight functions to latches onto Se after Ne, Ti, Fe and sometimes they will swipe at Ni as well. They all agree that Se is a player occasionally, not all the time. Many will admit they use it as a way to ignore internal discomfort, "they are the craziest when they are the loneliest". Another once told me she parties so she doesn't have to think anymore.

    My guess is that Se and Ne must use competitive circuitry in the brain, so you do one or the other, not both. Thus why they are dominant and demon respectively.

    ENFPs seem to use it some but not to the same extreme like the ENTPs do.

    1) Does this sound accurate?
    2) What is going on functionally underneath this mess?

    My thought is that it has something to do with Ne seeing the possible repercussions/possibilities due to something, some action, some lack of action and thus a shift is made to Se to block out those visions of the future. If they ignore it, it will go away.

    What are they ignoring/blocking out? Fe induced feelings of obligation to others? Pain they have caused in others due to Fe's sometimes manipulative ways?

    Thoughts?
    What if your Ne is a motivation for the gates to open on Se? Like, for me, I often go by the saying, "Try everything, at least once."

    I sometimes feel bad if I see a possibility (to do something) come up, or about to come up, and I don't take the measures to make myself available for the experience. Not so much about the experience in particular, but, to have known what such an experience feels like. I don't want to leave out any experience, so that I limit what I 'know about'. It's more about the novelty of certain experiences that allows me to consciously tap into Se, and say, 'you may never get to try this again, so go at it, full-throttle!'

    I also like to Se-out to get in a 'zone'. I guess it's the same idea as 'escaping from over-thinking'....but, it's not as much motivated by escapting, than about wanting the 'zone'. I sometimes live off of intensity. And, of the most tangible kind, are physical experiences.

    Quote Originally Posted by PinkPiranha View Post
    Hence, when you see an ENTP strongly in the stress grip of their inferior function and out of control, major self-medicating occurs i.e. sleeping around, drinking, drugs, etc.

    Si seems cuddly though.
    When I'm stressed, I become a very rigid (oxymoron?) INTJ. As for sleeping around, I probably would have when I was single, if there weren't consequences. Sometimes, I actually look up STD images, or birthing videos (err...yes...). It's a huge demotivator to engage in such activities, and, thus, I um...have an internal scale, for when another is worthy enough to make me take that risk. Look out for No. 1, first, and always. I detest getting played for a fool, and, weirdly enough, never have, since I turned 18. My dad's (ESTJ) most 'proudest' point about me, as per his commentary to my mother, 'I really don't have to worry about her, as no one can ever make her do something she doesn't want to do.' [and, when I decide on something, there's very few 'holes' left that I haven't accounted for, including summing up personal character of others, hence, lessens that chance of being blind-sighted]

  9. #9
    Diabolical Kasper's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Enneagram
    9w8 so/sx
    Posts
    11,544

    Default

    Se is two things for me, one is fun and adventure for the sake of new and exciting experiences, things like adventure sports make me jump out of my skin in the excitement of the moment, the other is escaping the horrible Fe/Ti overload when stressed.

    Quote Originally Posted by PinkPiranha View Post
    Hence, when you see an ENTP strongly in the stress grip of their inferior function and out of control, major self-medicating occurs i.e. sleeping around, drinking, drugs, etc.
    Sure but not for me, they're not my thoughts on fun, drinking is the only thing on that list that I'm interested in, if it were to be used in a self-medicating way it would be to stop the Fe-Ti loop I can get stuck in when over stressed and Ne-less. For me Se is usually more natural than that though, being around immediate noise and action that captures me in the moment and grabs my attention or being around nature that absorbs me, anything to stop thinking and feeling anything other than what is in that moment. Music is the best.

    ETA: Actually you can tell when I'm stressed cause I tend to post mainly music, pictures or other such things

  10. #10
    Senior Member sculpting's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    4,226

    Default

    oooooohhhhhh, breakthrough, well I think.

    So I just got off the phone with most favorite ENTP in the universe. She just had her second baby and started telling me about how she suddenly felt hollow and empty as the baby's birth was nearing. After some thought she realized that it was becuase her oldest child was nearing two and time had flown so quickly.

    She realized there were happy memories and sad memories along the way-HOWEVER she doesn't have a "feeling" imprint of the happy memories. She knows they were happy, she can't replicate the happy feeling when thinking about it, so she just feels empty and sad becuase the happy isn't really there-even though she knows it was a happy memory.

    She immediately felt the urge to go party to fill up the emptiness.

    She said the sad memories also leave an empty spot but are no worse or better than the happy spots left by the happy memories.

    She is excited and happy about the events of the future even though they will be very challenging, but if she stops to reflect backwards, she feels the emptiness of the lack of a "feeling" footprint.

    When I think backwards on happy moments, it is like a bit of an echo of happiness bounces around inside of me. Is this an Fi thing?

Similar Threads

  1. [ENTP] Strengthening Ti in ENTP
    By Johnfloyd6675 in forum The NT Rationale (ENTP, INTP, ENTJ, INTJ)
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 05-09-2010, 03:05 PM
  2. [ENTP] Introverted Sensing in ENTPs
    By YoungGun2112 in forum The NT Rationale (ENTP, INTP, ENTJ, INTJ)
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-31-2010, 08:42 PM
  3. [ENTP] The role of argumentation in ENTPs
    By Udog in forum The NT Rationale (ENTP, INTP, ENTJ, INTJ)
    Replies: 92
    Last Post: 09-18-2009, 02:08 PM
  4. [ENTP] development of Fe in ENTPs
    By sculpting in forum The NT Rationale (ENTP, INTP, ENTJ, INTJ)
    Replies: 99
    Last Post: 04-01-2009, 08:20 PM
  5. [ENTP] The E in ENTP
    By Samvega in forum The NT Rationale (ENTP, INTP, ENTJ, INTJ)
    Replies: 45
    Last Post: 12-18-2008, 03:38 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO