• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NT] Does NT necessairly mean math proficiency?

Cronkle

MBTI Type
INFJ
I'm trying to type the writer David Foster Wallace, who uses proofs and formulas in his writing. I wonder if it makes sense to qualify him as an NT since his love of calculation and formulas. I would assume an NF would be more interested in theory than calculation and formulas.

ThatsWhatHeSaid

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
1. Your thread title and OP don't match. In the thread title you're asking if NT qualifies you as having math skills. In the OP, you're asking if having math skills qualify you as being NT.

2. No.

Cronkle

MBTI Type
INFJ
I didn't mean causation exactly, I assume there would be a correlation.

ThatsWhatHeSaid

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Well, don't you actually mean causation? It's obvious that there's a correlation, no? Mathematics require logic and an ability to map and understand a problem. I'm 1000% sure there's a correlation. But you're asking if it's enough to brand someone NT, which means that S or F and mathematical abilities are exclusive of one another. I wouldn't say that's true.

Cronkle

MBTI Type
INFJ
My math skill suck, too. What I'm asking to all is: does extreme proficiency in calculation and formulas have a high likelihood of being an NT?

Salomé

meh
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
My math skill suck, too. What I'm asking to all is: does extreme proficiency in calculation and formulas have a high likelihood of being an NT?
I'd need to review the data before I could reasonably assess the probability of that.

Here's a good example for the OP.

I would destroy blue in a math test that tested fundamentals (Algebra I/II, Geometry). And I'm more F than her too.
Yeah? How sure are you? 1000%?

Turtle Geometry, maybe.

Laurie

Was E.laur
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
How are calculations and formulas different from theory? Fundamental math assumption fail there. Calculations and formulas are derived from theory. That's what makes math so awesome.

A Schnitzel

WTF is this dude saying?
MBTI Type
INTP
*stumbles in to thread*

Who was talking about linear algebra II proofs?

*Starts sketching complex vector spaces on the board*

professor goodstain

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7~7
No. With the exception of INTJ. NFs and SPs don't alow junk to cloud their mathmatical minds. Junk like other NT interests/blips. As an NT (not speaking for all, damit) i aced all that calculus geo math crap. But never saw math for what it is. Saw it as like a foreign language the mothership brought to earth in blips throughout history. SJ however, is most susceptible to math. Due to their possible insecurities corresponding with proficiency.

Cronkle

MBTI Type
INFJ
How are calculations and formulas different from theory? Fundamental math assumption fail there. Calculations and formulas are derived from theory. That's what makes math so awesome.

Sorry, by theory I meant conceptual explanations for mathematical occurrences, such as, say, number theory, as opposed to number explanations like calculation and applied formulas.

nightning

ish red no longer *sad*
MBTI Type
INfj
Sorry, by theory I meant conceptual explanations for mathematical occurrences, such as, say, number theory, as opposed to number explanations like calculation and applied formulas.

Anytime you put in the word "mathematical" anything I'd say the individual must have some understanding of the math to be talking about it...

So for somebody to:
describe some theory in formula => proficient
describe math theory conceptually => presumed general understanding

Thread title question: Does NT necessairly [sic] mean [sic] math proficiency?
Clearly, it's a no. Rational here is only based upon rational rules according to the individual... this does not necessarily have to correlate to logical (mathematical) correctness.

Thread title question in reverse: Does math proficiency means an individual is NT?
That's an even worse question... all types can enjoy math and be proficient at it. :)

ez78705

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
I was so excited when I first succeeded at proving the concavity of some function myself. But if it's something that has to do with visual-spatial intelligence like Vector Calculus, I really hate it. I think if it's pure math, NT people should be fine.

Skyward

Badoom~
MBTI Type
infj
Enneagram
9w1

I prefer musical theory.

A Schnitzel

WTF is this dude saying?
MBTI Type
INTP
I was so excited when I first succeeded at proving the concavity of some function myself. But if it's something that has to do with visual-spatial intelligence like Vector Calculus, I really hate it. I think if it's pure math, NT people should be fine.

What did you find difficult? Integrating Volumes?

norepinephrine

MBTI Type
INTP
I like the idea of math, but it bores the crap out of me.

+1

People, including my (by my standards, brilliant) brother, keep telling me how much I would love it once I got into the theoretical.

But..yeah.. never went there.

Maybe when I'm bedridden.