123 Last

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w3
    Socionics
    INFp

Default Communication with an ENTJ?

I'm friends with an ENTJ, yet I often find I struggle with talking to her. I feel very unsure of what to say. I wish this wasn't the case, and that we could have more naturally flowing conversations without me second guessing myself.

I suppose it's because I'm unsure of how my comments affect her. I do seem to be able to crack her up though occasionally, and that reassures me. I look up to her strength and how self sufficient she is, and I know she is a great person.

What kind of things do ENTJs like to talk about? Any advice for an INFP?
    4w3 sx/sp? INFP, INFp

Senior Member professor goodstain's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7~7
    Socionics
    IEE

internally put more focus on clearity than harmony in your conversations. Kroeger and Thuesen 101.
    everyone uses every function about evenly. take NE for example. if there are those who don't use it much, then why are there such massive amounts of people constantly flowing through Wallmart with 20 items or less?

Banned

Well this ENTJ absolutely loves discussions of a philosophical nature; especially topics in epistemology, methaphysics, logic, and philosophy of science. I also really enjoy discussions about bioethics and aesthetics (so much the better if you can tie these issues to those listed in the previous sentence, e.g., is there a difference between an elegant proof and a beautiful proof?). Theorizing about various systems ...physical, logical, mathematical, biological...will get my attention in a heartbeat as well. Bits of gossip now and then are tolerable, but generally only if they're moving the conversation toward something more substantial (such as "did you see how ridiculous Dennett and Dawkins were behaving in that interview?"...apologies to the devout atheists among us).

Quote Originally Posted by professor goodstain View Post
    internally put more focus on clearity than harmony in your conversations. Kroeger and Thuesen 101.
    Very good suggestion. The best idea clouded in gobbledlygook is just gobbledygook to us.

Scream down the boulevard LadyJaye's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6 so/sx

My best friend is an ENTJ, and we talk for hours about all sorts of things. She loves it when I can introduce her to something new that she's never heard of or seen before - anything smart and sharp. I don't have to worry about how my words affect her, because if there's a problem, she'll alert me to it. But we rarely have that problem because we're both fairly blunt talkers, and don't offend easily with one another.

One thing I've noticed through my years of friendship with her, and with other ENTJ's, is that they're amazing listeners, always reflecting back what I've said to let me know they're hearing me.

MBTI
    INTJ

I'm a male ENTJ and my closest confidant is a female ENTJ. I think both of us prefer people to be extremely direct and to the point. Don't "beat around the bush".

Most of my friends are NT's -- the main thing we seem to have in common is that we enjoy talking about almost anything.

ENTJ's act more self sufficient that we really are. There can be a lot of "F" hidden below the surface of an an ENTJ.

MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    9w8 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by LadyJaye View Post
    My best friend is an ENTJ, and we talk for hours about all sorts of things. She loves it when I can introduce her to something new that she's never heard of or seen before - anything smart and sharp. I don't have to worry about how my words affect her, because if there's a problem, she'll alert me to it. But we rarely have that problem because we're both fairly blunt talkers, and don't offend easily with one another.

One thing I've noticed through my years of friendship with her, and with other ENTJ's, is that they're amazing listeners, always reflecting back what I've said to let me know they're hearing me.
    I can relate to everything you just said here.

Quote Originally Posted by Walkman View Post
    I'm a male ENTJ and my closest confidant is a female ENTJ. I think both of us prefer people to be extremely direct and to the point. Don't "beat around the bush".

Most of my friends are NT's -- the main thing we seem to have in common is that we enjoy talking about almost anything.

ENTJ's act more self sufficient that we really are. There can be a lot of "F" hidden below the surface of an an ENTJ.
    Do you not show that "F" side of yourself because you see it as irrelevant to show, or what? Also I love that sharp and to the point style, I really do. I get tired of bullshit in conversations a lot of the time, and I don't usually get that with you guys.

I'm pretty sure it's an N trait to like to talk about theory, and you could expand this as "anything." It wouldn't bother me to talk about something that didn't have much to do with me, it's just fun to talk about that kind of stuff.

Also welcome aboard the forums, you ENTJs rock. You ought to make an introductory post!
    () 9w8-3w4-7w6 tritype.

sCueI (primary Inquisition)

MBTI
    ENTP

I have an INFP friend and we always had wonderful conversations about the motives of individuals. We talk for hours about the reasons for wars, the minds of sexual predators, the senselessness of nationalism and mindset of our classmates. We also have wonderful conversations about our desires to travel the world, philosophy and the art that we create. We watch a lot of movies together, and then we dissect them after.

I love the passion that you guys have, and when I am around you it is contagious- - I feel most passionate when I am with one of you.

Ne > Ni > Ti > Fi > Te> Fe > Se > Si

MBTI
    INFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Mystical_Spaghetti View Post
    I'm friends with an ENTJ, yet I often find I struggle with talking to her. I feel very unsure of what to say. I wish this wasn't the case, and that we could have more naturally flowing conversations without me second guessing myself.

I suppose it's because I'm unsure of how my comments affect her. I do seem to be able to crack her up though occasionally, and that reassures me. I look up to her strength and how self sufficient she is, and I know she is a great person.

What kind of things do ENTJs like to talk about? Any advice for an INFP?
    Yep everybody is on point, anything about theory or anything new.
    Oh yea one point to note, I dont know if its an entj thing or its just me, but I dont think we like "yes" person.

We might tolerate them but when it comes to getting close we need critical people.
    Not someone who will accept every idea that pops into our head.

ENTJ, value those type of critical relationships because we tend to make hasty decisions. Having another point of view provides us with perspective.

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by chegra View Post
    Oh yea one point to note, I dont know if its an entj thing or its just me, but I dont think we like "yes" person.

We might tolerate them but when it comes to getting close we need critical people.

ENTJ, value those type of critical relationships because we tend to make hasty decisions. Having another point of view provides us with perspective.
    I agree with this.

Ne > Ni > Ti > Fi > Te> Fe > Se > Si

Senior Member professor goodstain's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7~7
    Socionics
    IEE

Quote Originally Posted by chegra View Post
    Yep everybody is on point, anything about theory or anything new.

Yes. me too. Yes.
    everyone uses every function about evenly. take NE for example. if there are those who don't use it much, then why are there such massive amounts of people constantly flowing through Wallmart with 20 items or less?