User Tag List

First 2345 Last

MBTI
    INTJ

I think we can agree that Elvis is the King. He grew fat and lazy and died with an impacted colon. He hadn't pooped for weeks.

I think we can agree that Priscilla is the Queen. She couldn't act worth a damn and had odd facial surgery to keep her youthful looks.

See what you condemn these two love birds to? The woman, 28, seeks a power imbalance. The kid, 16, doesn't have the backlog of experience a man 10 years his senior would. So he is attractive. And will remain so? Whatever is immature in the woman needs what is immature in the kid. Hopefully she recognises it before she is addicted to colon therapies.

I assume everyone in his story is American? Perhaps some sweaty Las Vegas footage would be instructive.

On second thoughts, no to the Las Vegas thing. They may get ideas and end up married.

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    5x/o

Ah yes, but why do laws exist? They fall not out of the sky, but are set up to fulfill a purpose in society- to cover an issue. Just because the WORD of the law has been bypassed, doesn't make the issue the law is meant to address go away.

MBTI
    ENTJ

Yeah, I'm not going to get into this one again either, but as stated in a previous thread, I don't have a problem with mutual relationships between post adolescent human beings, of either gender, and older human beings, regardless of the 'legal age' wherever they are. I do not see these relationships as inherently abusive, not do I see either party as inherently manipulative or exploitative.
    "Only an irrational dumbass, would burn Jews." - Jaguar

"please give concise answers in plain English" - request from Provoker

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

I actually agree. I don't think it's that big a deal, as long as the older person isn't totally crazy and the younger person seems somewhat mature. Not my effin' business who wants to be with whom.

MBTI
    ENFP

Quote Originally Posted by Petite Etoile View Post
    i couldn't decide where to post this at first, but i decided here since NTs are supposed to be good at arguing. anyways, i'll get to the point.

i know someone who is a 28 year old woman dating a 16 year old boy in a different state. She claims they are in love and are soulmates and they've been dating almost 2 years but they waited to meet until he was of legal age of consent (thats what she says anyway).

My ENTP boyfriend who argues just to argue, says that it's ok they are dating and no one should really try to stop them because even though its wrong, they are not hurting anyone and are happy.

i think this will have a major impact on the child as he is not emotionally and psychology developed. Just because the woman is stubborn, doesn't make it okay for people to just sit with their arms crossed because the couple is happy.

My ENTP boyfriend is pretty open and quick to change his mind, but his main argument is that he believes people should have the freedom to do what they want to do if they are happy and they are not hurting anyone.

SO--- People who AGREE with me: what flaws can i find in his argument to make him see that there SHOULD be intervention and if someone reported her maybe she should even go to jail and that she SHOULD get help and counseling even if she claims to be happy.

To a degree, we all have our personal freedoms that are not impinged on by government or social stigma: some would say we have too many freedoms, others would say we have too few.

But it is not his argument that must be broken down first- it is yours. There is a reason that you cannot construct a decent argument even though an INTJ should be able to excell at that sort of thing. It is this: If you believe in your right to think she is wrong, you must equally respect her right to think she is right. If you disagree with this maxim, you're either irrational or narcissistic.

So the question should really change from "How can I construct an argument that will make someone else adopt my views?" To "What can I do to be at peace with this reality?"

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    LII

SO--- People who AGREE with me: what flaws can i find in his argument to make him see that there SHOULD be intervention and if someone reported her maybe she should even go to jail and that she SHOULD get help and counseling even if she claims to be happy.
    So I didn't read the thread and stuff, and I also disagree, but here's my thoughts anyway:

You shouldn't take this stance. The way you worded this, it seems you think it is wrong, and wont consider the arguments of people from the opposing position. This is the wrong mindset for entering a debate.

Especially your use of "should". If you want to convince the other person, then you need to absolutely 100% justify why they "should" do this. If you can't do that, then I suggest you don't use this wording. Instead of saying what they should and should not do, perhaps suggest possible consequences of their consequences, suggest possible other courses of action.

Overall, I think your best attack route, would be the age of the child, and how the child may be hurt. I wouldn't bring up the law as a main point. I would find as much research as possible and throw it at your opponent. Numbers and statistics would be much more convincing than anything else you could say.

Basically, just keep in mind that the burden of proof is on you in this case, and that you must justify your position, not the other way around.
    "All humour has a foundation of truth."
    - Costrin

Senior Member professor goodstain's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7~7
    Socionics
    IEE

I'll bet it all ends in some sort of gun violence somewhere down the line.
    everyone uses every function about evenly. take NE for example. if there are those who don't use it much, then why are there such massive amounts of people constantly flowing through Wallmart with 20 items or less?

MBTI
    InTJ
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Costrin View Post
    So I didn't read the thread and stuff, and I also disagree, but here's my thoughts anyway:

You shouldn't take this stance. The way you worded this, it seems you think it is wrong, and wont consider the arguments of people from the opposing position. This is the wrong mindset for entering a debate.

Especially your use of "should". If you want to convince the other person, then you need to absolutely 100% justify why they "should" do this. If you can't do that, then I suggest you don't use this wording. Instead of saying what they should and should not do, perhaps suggest possible consequences of their consequences, suggest possible other courses of action.

Overall, I think your best attack route, would be the age of the child, and how the child may be hurt. I wouldn't bring up the law as a main point. I would find as much research as possible and throw it at your opponent. Numbers and statistics would be much more convincing than anything else you could say.

Basically, just keep in mind that the burden of proof is on you in this case, and that you must justify your position, not the other way around.
    i worded it the way i did because i wasn't looking to enter a debate at all. My boyfriend and i haven't been fighting about this or anything like that, but we have discussed it a lot already, and i didn't care to debate it with people here because i've already considered and discussed everyone's arguments with HIM.

Unfortunately, a lot of people have decided to simply disregard that statement and argue against me anyway..

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    LII

i worded it the way i did because i wasn't looking to enter a debate at all. My boyfriend and i haven't been fighting about this or anything like that, but we have discussed it a lot already, and i didn't care to debate it with people here because i've already considered and discussed everyone's arguments with HIM.
    Well imo, it seems as if you maybe think that you've heard all the arguments and positions, and they aren't up to par. Of course, there is always the possibility that there is some new information or perspective that you may have missed.

Though, I suspect you realize this. Possibly this is an P/J communication difference.

Unfortunately, a lot of people have decided to simply disregard that statement and argue against me anyway..
    Not unexpectedly, really.
    "All humour has a foundation of truth."
    - Costrin

Quote Originally Posted by Costrin View Post

Not unexpectedly, really.
    It was fun arguing with the others on the board. Apologies for hijacking the thread when it was obvious you weren't looking to start a debate.

I think Into its right has the right idea.

There's very little chance that he'll change. While he may understand other point of perspective, it's not really going to affect his final decision on the matter. The best way is to target his core beliefs that support this...

a) His belief that the boy is emotionally mature enough. That the women is sane. Find evidence to contradict either statement.

b) Find a 'normal' adult-child relationship that reflects how individuals might feel after breaking up. Whether they feel exploited etc

It's difficult because... You're essentially asking him to view from the perspective that all adult/children relationships will be exploitive. What are his core beliefs that support the whole thing? Is it a let and let live mentality?