User Tag List

First 12

MBTI
    ENFP

Quote Originally Posted by Kalach View Post
    Hmmm. HmmMMMM! HuuhhhhmmmMMMM!

Freudian slip? Mere drafting error? OR...

MY GOD!!! It's started!

They did something! Those ENFPs! They did something to the Internet!

Turn away, people! Turn away from your monitors now!

BEFORE IT'S TOO LATE!!!
    Hey, thats pretty funny! You've earned a piece of chocolate.

1) Intermittant rewards will work much, much better than consistant rewards. If you give the rat sugar everytime it pushes the button it will stop pushing the button very quickly when you stop supplying. However if once you have the rat trained, you make the reward inconsistant, it will never quit clicking the button. As an inconsistant enfp parent I have learned this lesson the hard way. I am so flaky that it takes a lot of Se "noise" for me to notice a "need". Thus I have the whiniest children, fish, turtles, cats, and dogs ever. If they just keep "clicking" they eventually get a response, but they can never be sure how much clicking will be required.

2) pick your motivating rewards correctly, then reward inconsistantly. SJs want recognition and status (My SJ boss keeps promising me a new office w a window) , SPs want pleasure/money/recognition (my SP boss keeps giving me more money), NTs and NFs are a little harder.

3) If you want to stregnthen Se I'd suggest midful meditation as working better than chocolate, well maybe chocolate and mediatation combined.

MBTI
    ISTP

Quote Originally Posted by nightning View Post
    I believe there's a study done in elementary students suggesting physical positive re-enforcement only works so long as the rewarding stimuli is there. Once it's removed, behavior becomes WORSE than before the training. Perhaps you'll have more luck like using psychological motivators... A job well done ought to be sufficiently motivating...
    Yup! But;

Quote Originally Posted by happy puppy View Post
    1) Intermittant rewards will work much, much better than consistant rewards.
    Helps a lot with that problem.

2) pick your motivating rewards correctly, then reward inconsistantly. SJs want recognition and status (My SJ boss keeps promising me a new office w a window) , SPs want pleasure/money/recognition (my SP boss keeps giving me more money), NTs and NFs are a little harder.
    This, however, I don't agree with. Social rewards can work, however they operate very differently from conditioning. The examples above are all carrots on a stick, where it's better to not actually get rewarded (ratchet effect, hedonistic preferences adjustment). It's a similar problem that is being dealt with in 1).

Also, conditioning in RL is a lot harder than it seems. For instance, many are "conditioned" to go to starbucks in the morning, but it doesn't make you like mornings any more. The actual connection can be tricky. Putting the reward right next to the behavior is effective, but only in a "that's interesting" kinds of way. An example of this is smoking only while working - it doesn't take much to decouple the work-drug connection and reduce it to smoke-drug connection. The exact behavior that is conditioned is pretty "smart" - it reduces the behavior quickly.

You also cannot have control over the supply. That's the hardest part. Oh, and withholding it tends to cause serious issues - that's the problem with 'addiction' in the first place. (Meaning, having a friend/so do the inconsistent thing is dangerous!)