User Tag List

First 1234 Last

Could be. Based on my very limited exposure to this stuff on ths forum I would say nfs seem to seek out originality or authenticity while nts look more for efficiency. This search for efficiency coupled with the view that most things, people are illogical and inefficient could definitely make an nt want to be different.

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    SLE

I think it's more about contrariness than anything else. I know that if too many people are agreeing on something, I get the urge to disagree just for the hell of it. It's not something I control, either.
    Artes, Scientia, Veritasiness

DoubleplusUngoodNonperson
    MBTI
    Hype

Quote Originally Posted by Orangey View Post
    I think it's more about contrariness than anything else. I know that if too many people are agreeing on something, I get the urge to disagree just for the hell of it. It's not something I control, either.
    Lol I always blame myself for doing this cuz I'm well aware of what's going on at the time

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Orangey View Post
    Yeah, particularly if they come off as smug and morally superior. In that case, I can almost always argue the opposite.

Just for the hell of it.

deleted

Probably just a you thing.

I am a straight up Jew.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

I assume it's a potential manifestation of their competitive nature (T), combined with their interest in the novel and original (N). Thus, they feel themselves in competition with others to express themselves in a distinctive, effective, and original way.

This is one of the things that makes me certain I'm not an NT. I have no need to be different from others just for the sake of being original. I simply don't necessarily strive to conform, either. I tend to do what feels right for myself, and what accords with the ideas I choose to value, regardless of whether doing so makes me different or not.

I may strive to conform superficially if I feel genuinely threatened by people I can't avoid as a result of a quality that makes me stand out, but I strongly prefer not to conform to things that don't fit with my perceptions due to the discomfort this creates.

deleted

Quote Originally Posted by Athenian200 View Post
    I assume it's a potential manifestation of their competitive nature (T), combined with their interest in the novel and original (N). Thus, they feel themselves in competition with others to express themselves in a distinctive, effective, and original way.

This is one of the things that makes me certain I'm not an NT. I have no need to be different from others just for the sake of being original. I simply don't necessarily strive to conform, either. I tend to do what feels right for myself, and what accords with the ideas I value, regardless of whether doing so makes me different or not.

I may strive to conform superficially if I feel genuinely threatened by people I can't avoid as a result of a quality that makes me stand out, but I strongly prefer not to conform to things that don't fit with my perceptions due to the discomfort this creates.
    I guess NTs are a bit more trendy then, hm?

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9

Quote Originally Posted by digesthisickness View Post
    i see a contradiction in being an individualist and a longing to be 'different'. if you're truly an individual, then you'd be yourself whether it was different from others or not.
    Right. Isn't striving to be different just conforming to being different and no more individual than the same old same old?
    I like to rock n' roll all night and *part* of every day. I usually have errands... I can only rock from like 1-3.

deleted

Quote Originally Posted by ceecee View Post
    Right. Isn't striving to be different just conforming to being different and no more individual than the same old same old?
    Except for the part where conformism is an individual choice.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by lemons View Post
    Except for the part where conformism is an individual choice.
    An individual choice based on one's past upbringing, environment, culture, experiences, and learned world perspective, yup.

Quote Originally Posted by digesthisickness View Post
    i see a contradiction in being an individualist and a longing to be 'different'. if you're truly an individual, then you'd be yourself whether it was different from others or not.
    Yup, exactly. It wouldn't matter what others thought; your "fitting in" would be irrelevant to the decision of doing whatever you choose to do. The template is internal, not external.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft