User Tag List

123 Last

only bites when provoked
    MBTI
    INTJ

Default MBTI Questions that seemed like defects?

Is it just me, or did some of the questions seem to be trying to figure out if you're depressed, defective, or otherwise? I answered honestly, even if I believed that aspect of myself was a defect.

Should I see aspects of myself as defects? If I fixed things I felt were/are defects would I be notably different? Are they defects? Is this just an effect of introversion and judging?
    I 100%, N 88%, T 88%, J 75%

Disclaimer: The above is my opinion and mine alone, it does not mean I cannot change my mind, nor does it guarantee that my comments are related to any deep-seated convictions. Take everything I say with a whole snowplow worth of salt and call me in the morning, if you can.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Well, actually, even if a particular trait were a defect, all types have certain defects and neuroses, so I think it's probably a relevant way of determining type. Agoraphobia could be an extreme symptom of inferior Se, for instance.

only bites when provoked
    MBTI
    INTJ

I guess it was more the answers - some looked like admitting to them was admitting to a defect. I wonder if this skews results for some...?

Is it because the massive majority of extroverts and sensors considers them defects to the point that it even becomes ingrained in us that we're "defective"?
    I 100%, N 88%, T 88%, J 75%

Disclaimer: The above is my opinion and mine alone, it does not mean I cannot change my mind, nor does it guarantee that my comments are related to any deep-seated convictions. Take everything I say with a whole snowplow worth of salt and call me in the morning, if you can.

MBTI
    INTJ

You scored INTJ so you can't be too defective.

Could you give some examples, though?
    "You will always be fond of me. I represent to you all the sins you never had the courage to commit."

Reason is, and ought only to be the slave of the passions, and can never pretend to any other office
    than to serve and obey them. - David Hume

Enneagram
    1w2

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf View Post
    I guess it was more the answers - some looked like admitting to them was admitting to a defect. I wonder if this skews results for some...?

Is it because the massive majority of extroverts and sensors considers them defects to the point that it even becomes ingrained in us that we're "defective"?
    You are incredibly bitter towards extroverts and sensors. There is unhealthy introversion and unhealthy extroversion, just make sure you don't fall into the unhealthy part and you should be fine. The "massive majority" extroverts don't view introversion as a personality defect.
    Relationships have normal ebbs and flows. They do not automatically get better and better when the participants learn more and more about each other. Instead, the participants have to work through the tensions of the relationship (the dialectic) while they learn and group themselves and a parties in a relationships. At times the relationships is very open and sharing. Other time, one or both parties to the relationship need their space, or have other concerns, and the relationship is less open. The theory posits that these cycles occur throughout the life of the relationship as the persons try to balance their needs for privacy and open relationship.
    Interpersonal Communication Theories and Concepts
    Social Penetration Theory 1
    Social Penetration Theory 2
    Social Penetration Theory 3

The main problem I had with the questions is that some of them had answer choices that could either all be true or all be false. For instance, "Do you prefer the company of others or to be alone?" Well, both, depending on my mood. Or, "Do you think it is better to be rational or compassionate?" It's not asking which I am, just which I think is better. I don't think anyone should be just one of those.

I left a good number of questions blank because of things like this.

heart on fire

Quote Originally Posted by proteanmix View Post
    The "massive majority" extroverts don't view introversion as a personality defect.
    Where is your proof on this? Just your own view and those around you, where you live and those around you who may be more educated on what introversion really is? How is that representative of the majority of extroverts out there in the world or at the very least the extroverts that introverted people like Wolf and I have come into contact with?

My own personal experience is that introversion is seen as a defect and many people have not minded telling me so right to my face during the course of my life.

My N has also been seen as defect.

Your disbelief about my real life experiences does not negate my experiences. That my experiences in life may differ from what you expect my experiences to have been does not mean I am "unhealthy" either. It just simply means that my personal experiences are not what you expect them to be or have some need for them to be.

Quote Originally Posted by heart View Post
    My own personal experience is that introversion is seen as a defect and many people have not minded telling me so right to my face during the course of my life.
    I agree. In my experience my introversion has been attributed to being actually mute, to being abused or neglected as a child (I wasn't) to potentially being a serial killer in the making. And yes, I would call it a majority of people (and in more than one country even, both eastern and western).

For me it is not my Nness (people have both called me both a "dreamer" and "too practical"). The majority people seem to have the opinion that there is something "not quite right" about me. Don't know if that can be associated to any MBTI trait though.

For me. I would say it is my impulsiveness, and messiness that is another thing that almost everyone thinks is wrong with me. I suppose you can call this my "P". Still, I don't have a problem with decisiveness, though perfectionism and a bit of procrastination are issues.

Another thing that was disliked in general (but tolerate only in "technical" situations) is be being "nerdy". No non-nerdy kids were stuffed in lockers, had their heads flushed, or their faces smothered in piss.

Let's face it, there are certain personalities people (in general) like, and there are others people (in general) just tolerate at best.

It can be hard to find the people who like, say INxx's, or IxxPs for who they are. Generally, these people's lives are filled with criticism. To point of having nearly every conversation being about their "issues". One time I had 5 different people, in back to back, unrelated, conversations/lectures tell me what "my problem" was. I am sure that wasn't the record, but was the only time I kept track.

It has been the same three things all my life, and if I could still be me while changing these things I would have.

So maybe I am defective. Most people seem to think so.

Accept the past. Live for the present. Look forward to the future.
    Robot Fusion
    "As our island of knowledge grows, so does the shore of our ignorance." John Wheeler
    "[A] scientist looking at nonscientific problems is just as dumb as the next guy." Richard Feynman
    "[P]etabytes of [] data is not the same thing as understanding emergent mechanisms and structures." Jim Crutchfield

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by athenian200 View Post
    Well, actually, even if a particular trait were a defect, all types have certain defects and neuroses, so I think it's probably a relevant way of determining type. Agoraphobia could be an extreme symptom of inferior Se, for instance.
    I was laughing when I read your post.
    Thank you, the hilarious things are always welcome.
    This is not in a way of a mockery.
    I know you are intelligent.

The subject is not the object.
    To confuse the subject and the object is the cardinal sin.

And the most common one.

The defect is not irrespective of the virtue.
    The defect is the virtue.
    The virtue is the defect.

The object is not the interpretor of the object.
    The subject is the interpretor of the object.

Interpretation does not pertain to the object.
    Interpretation pertains to the subject.

Enneagram
    1w2

Quote Originally Posted by heart View Post
    Where is your proof on this? Just your own view and those around you, where you live and those around you who may be more educated on what introversion really is? How is that representative of the majority of extroverts out there in the world or at the very least the extroverts that introverted people like Wolf and I have come into contact with?

My N has also been seen as defect.

Your disbelief about my real life experiences does not negate my experiences. That my experiences in life may differ from what you expect my experiences to have been does not mean I am "unhealthy" either. It just simply means that my personal experiences are not what you expect them to be or have some need for them to be.
    How am I supposed to prove my experiences any more than you can prove yours? You prove that most extroverts view introversion as a defect. Your views are based on your experiences and those of the people around you. Considering the number of extroverts and introverts are about 50/50, I hardly think your experiences as an extreme introvert (which both you and Wolf have admitted to being) is the norm for most introverts.

What "proof" I gather about introversion is when I go out and talk to people about it. I ask people how would they react in certain circumstances and how they've reacted in the past to glean out more introverted replies. That's how I gather my evidence. Do you go out and do the same thing for extroverts? My perception of events is not the only one I rely on. If I'm not sure, I go and ask other people what they think about it or what their experiences are or I start doing some research. I'm not that vain.
    Relationships have normal ebbs and flows. They do not automatically get better and better when the participants learn more and more about each other. Instead, the participants have to work through the tensions of the relationship (the dialectic) while they learn and group themselves and a parties in a relationships. At times the relationships is very open and sharing. Other time, one or both parties to the relationship need their space, or have other concerns, and the relationship is less open. The theory posits that these cycles occur throughout the life of the relationship as the persons try to balance their needs for privacy and open relationship.
    Interpersonal Communication Theories and Concepts
    Social Penetration Theory 1
    Social Penetration Theory 2
    Social Penetration Theory 3