User Tag List

12 Last

Default Intellectual Frustration

I needs some tips and tricks.

How, when you are curious about something, do you make sure you get your curiousity satisfied?

Usually, what sparks my curiosity is the drive to answer some question, or gain some skill.

Unfortunately, most of the time, the steps I take to answer the questions, or gain the skills I want fall far short.

So, any success stories? How did you manage to be successful at your intellectual endevours?

Accept the past. Live for the present. Look forward to the future.
    Robot Fusion
    "As our island of knowledge grows, so does the shore of our ignorance." John Wheeler
    "[A] scientist looking at nonscientific problems is just as dumb as the next guy." Richard Feynman
    "[P]etabytes of [] data is not the same thing as understanding emergent mechanisms and structures." Jim Crutchfield

MBTI
    INTJ

Research exhaustively, then think of ways which I could gather more data, like with surveys, interviews (not so keen on those but they're a possibility nonetheless), etc., which never actually happen but I always think of them and similar things anyways. A good while of this usually takes care of it, until I stumble upon more information and the quest is picked up again.
    "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." -Dr. Seuss

insert random title here Randomnity's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

Google.

MBTI
    InTP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sp
    Socionics
    INTj Ni

Quote Originally Posted by Randomnity View Post
    Google.
    +1 along with wikipedia

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Me? I usually research it completely until I'm sure that I throughly understand it. I might use a combination of internet searches, people who understand the subject, and books on it. Often, I'm never completely satisfied that I understand it, and research it forever. It's a bad habit of mine to turn into an eternal student of a particular topic.

MBTI
    INTJ

I narrow down the question. If the curiosity concerns a certain kind of information, I certainly look for it (google it, whatever) which would satisfy me quickly.

If it is a rather broad and controverisal subject, I like analyzing the topic through different samples. I would do this by comparing and contrasting the specific examples(a real word event, a piece of art, a professional material etc.) and find out how my thoughts(ideas or a certain kind of intuition I had on the subject) can be corelated with them.
    I-31, N-25, T-55, J-27
    "Place the visible at the service of the invisible" - Redon, Odilon

The journalistic questions are easy. (Who, what, when, where?)

But most of my questions are "how" qestions or "how to", along with "how come" and why? Ususually, not things I can just look-up. Even if I could, I would need to exert quite some effort after finding it to understand it well enough to use it. Ususally, I only find things that are of fringe relavence.

Perhaps "intellectual" was not the right word. I meant to distinguish it from "assigned" goals.

• What about gaining a new skill/habbit (not a new degree)?
    • Like playing a musucal instrument or a new foreign language (I have started and quit piano, violin, clarinet, and trumpet, and have failed at learning several foreign languages to the level of fluency)?
    • Learning to dance (I tried swing dance lessons for a while, but not happy with the progress)?
    • Building the habbit of speaking more loudly (life-long goal)?
    • Becomming more organized (another life-long goal)?

More classically intelectual goals:
    • Understanding the mathematics for Quantum Mechanics, so that I can understand things like entanglement and quantum teleportation to the level I can reproduce them myself (given the equipment). There are a lot of little examples like this.
    • Continually becoming a better chess player, perhaps make Expert or Master level.

Robot Fusion
    "As our island of knowledge grows, so does the shore of our ignorance." John Wheeler
    "[A] scientist looking at nonscientific problems is just as dumb as the next guy." Richard Feynman
    "[P]etabytes of [] data is not the same thing as understanding emergent mechanisms and structures." Jim Crutchfield

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram

hmmm. what have i done that fits your question....

*taught self guitar
    *bought a CD to learn to speak Italian (that's only going so-so; I never listen to it enough)
    *learned math tricks (see Speed Mathematics; it's a neat book that makes you look like a math whiz if you learn their shortcuts)
    *took apart random things (tape player, VCR, etc.)
    *i voraciously read up on a subject until I totally understand it in my head (or so I think) then I go and deal with the tangible concrete aspect of whatever it is.
    etc.

I've actually been really focused on people, to be quite honest. Not just MBTI. Or systems in general. But really genuinely h-core analyzing interactions and watching people to get a better understanding of where they're coming from. Looking for common links... backgrounds... trying to truly understand their motivations.

I set it up in my head that I get someone on their toes on teh subject to quiz me. I have conversations in my head, and I'm nervous of not knowing the answers in reality so I go and solve them. It helps to pick people who think differently than you do, too.
    *You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body.
    *Faith is the art of holding on to things your reason once accepted, despite your changing moods.
    C.S. Lewis

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by spirilis View Post
    +1 along with wikipedia
    + pubmed.

This signature left intentionally blank.

Really.

Quote Originally Posted by Usehername View Post
    hmmm. what have i done that fits your question....

*taught self guitar
    *bought a CD to learn to speak Italian (that's only going so-so; I never listen to it enough)
    *learned math tricks (see Speed Mathematics; it's a neat book that makes you look like a math whiz if you learn their shortcuts)
    *took apart random things (tape player, VCR, etc.)
    *i voraciously read up on a subject until I totally understand it in my head (or so I think) then I go and deal with the tangible concrete aspect of whatever it is.
    etc.

I've actually been really focused on people, to be quite honest. Not just MBTI. Or systems in general. But really genuinely h-core analyzing interactions and watching people to get a better understanding of where they're coming from. Looking for common links... backgrounds... trying to truly understand their motivations.

I set it up in my head that I get someone on their toes on teh subject to quiz me. I have conversations in my head, and I'm nervous of not knowing the answers in reality so I go and solve them. It helps to pick people who think differently than you do, too.
    So how did you finally teach youself Guitar? Did you follow some system? I usually just stopped liking it, brcause I couldn't see myself practicing for long enough to play the types of music I wanted. The path seemed longer and more arduous than I would I ever thought (Plus, I got interested in something else).

Actually, I also got a book called Speed Mathematics, I used to be really fast. Now I make mistakes even on the simplest calulations. Have you used Harry Loraine's system for memory also?

I still link and chain, once in a while, but these systems take practice to keep up.

You're a geek like me huh?! I took apart and put back together more things than I can remember. My parents didn't usually get upset (except for the time I took apart the front door lock and couldn't put it back quite right).

Let me know how your latest endevor goes. I have just recently baught a bunch of the "Understanding Yourself and Others" series books, as well as Gift's DIffering. I hope this works out a little better than my excursions into Freud's Theories and NLP.

Robot Fusion