User Tag List

12 Last

MBTI
    ENTJ

Default Do any other N's replay events?

When I was a little kid, I saw a "3-2-1 Contact" episode where they described the dangers of doing drugs. Apparently, crack can make your brain replay events after they happen. They used the example of going on a roller coaster and then experiencing it again...and again...and again.

Well, it turns out that my brain does this naturally, and I'm wondering if it's an N thing. My brain especially likes to go over what's been said or written. It doesn't replay roller coaster rides, thankfully.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Matt22 View Post
    When I was a little kid, I saw a "3-2-1 Contact" episode where they described the dangers of doing drugs. Apparently, crack can make your brain replay events after they happen. They used the example of going on a roller coaster and then experiencing it again...and again...and again.

Well, it turns out that my brain does this naturally, and I'm wondering if it's an N thing. My brain especially likes to go over what's been said or written. It doesn't replay roller coaster rides, thankfully.
    I do not replay events in my mind (usually, if anything, I compulsively rehearse events that have not yet occurred, to make sure I do them "right")... but I still had to respond since you mentioned "3-2-1 Contact!"

I don't know how many people here would be able to recognize/recall that show. But I remember watching that and The Electric Company right after Sesame Street.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

The short answer: Yes, I replay some events in my head until they've been analysed to death and then some.

MBTI
    InTP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sp
    Socionics
    INTj Ni

Um yeah, most definitely, and sometimes I replay them exhaustively.

Not quite the same thing, but I do this with songs that affect me--I will take the entire song, or more likely one significant segment of the song, and replay it dozens of times in one sitting.

Glowy Goopy Goodness The_Liquid_Laser's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by Matt22 View Post

I occasionally replay events in my head, but not often. I think this is common for J's since they use either Ni or Si to reflect on the events that have happened.

Also,
    "If you've got the dime, then we've got the time. We're the 'Bloodhound Gang'."
    My wife and I made a game to teach kids about nutrition. Please try our game and vote for us to win. (Voting period: July 14 - August 14)
    http://www.revoltingvegetables.com

MBTI
    INTJ

Yes, all the time. It's almost always things I've done and think I could have done better, and no matter how trivial they may actually be, my brain keeps going over it, replaying and analyzing and fixing. Sometimes this goes on for a day or two, until I go nuts and tell it to shut up (which of course hardly works, I just need to find something to distract myself for long enough to make it go away).
    "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." -Dr. Seuss

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

Yes, I do. Normally, in the real world, it's my inclination to be nice to people, but then I rework it in my head and try to see why I let someone walk all over me like that. I scrutinize the event and then restructure it to see what I could've done differently. I don't know, but I fear not being able to control people's responses in the world, but I'm able to in my mind.

Does anyone else have this problem?

insert random title here Randomnity's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

I know you said N's, but for the record I do this as well, quite often. More often it's a series of still photo images than a video scene though (my memory is very photographic in style, though not eidetic). And I don't do it to see what I could change, but instead to enjoy the experience or to pick it apart and get what information I can from things like people's expressions.

Going over events usually gives you a better idea of the processes which occurred. Something will happen, it will pop up a few times in my mind, and then I’ll have learned something from it. I can break down in a sentence usually: a half stitched moral of the story, or an important side-note to life.

"A want fastened, wants annihilation."

MBTI
    ISXJ

Yeah, although I'm an S I do this all the time too. I replay conversations with people in my head quite often...usually things that were either really amusing or things that ticked me off. Sometimes I start smiling for apparently no reason...and when people ask me what is so funny I just have to say that I was replaying in my mind something funny that had happened.