User Tag List

123 Last

Default Is Ti egocentric?

I saw awhile back someone added this as a oneliner to a post. I am just starting to get how my Fi and another's Fi can differ in our idealistic values and cause conflict.

What about Ti? Can the logical path determined by one Ti end up not equating the the logical path determined by another Ti and thus end up in some sort of odd introverted conflict between two individuals?

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    LII

Quote Originally Posted by happy puppy View Post
    I saw awhile back someone added this as a oneliner to a post. I am just starting to get how my Fi and another's Fi can differ in our idealistic values and cause conflict.

What about Ti? Can the logical path determined by one Ti end up not equating the the logical path determined by another Ti and thus end up in some sort of odd introverted conflict between two individuals?
    Yes. Because each individual has different experiences and has accumulated different information, the Ti models of each will be different. This isn't as likely to spawn conflict though, as it is debate. Only if the two individuals disagree on foundational assumptions would there be likely to be conflict. The model is constantly up for renegotiation, but deeper assimilated information is harder to dislodge.
    "All humour has a foundation of truth."
    - Costrin

MBTI
    Zzzz

Quote Originally Posted by Costrin
    Yes. Because each individual has different experiences and has accumulated different information, the Ti models of each will be different.
    In that same vein, whatever your dominant function is, it will be egocentric. It will always be horse to your chariot.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    LII

Quote Originally Posted by zarc View Post
    In that same vein, whatever your dominant function is, it will be egocentric. It will always be horse to your chariot.
    Nah, it's the rider. The auxiliary is the horse, slave to the whims of the driver .And tertiary is the chariot, keeping you safe, and the ground is the inferior, that you navigate, yet disdain (hence the use of chariot) and hope you don't fall and hit your head on.

imo
    "All humour has a foundation of truth."
    - Costrin

Quote Originally Posted by Costrin View Post
    Yes. Because each individual has different experiences and has accumulated different information, the Ti models of each will be different. This isn't as likely to spawn conflict though, as it is debate. Only if the two individuals disagree on foundational assumptions would there be likely to be conflict. The model is constantly up for renegotiation, but deeper assimilated information is harder to dislodge.
    okay so what if you are a super insecure NTP? Then do you feel the need to trump other folks Ti? How does edcation level, status, academic credentials play into the "stability" of the foundation of deeper assimiliated knowledge?

DoubleplusUngoodNonperson
    MBTI
    Hype

Ti cannot be "egocentric" because Ti has no Ego, lameass! Ego is a COMPOSITION of inputs (IE all functions) that yields your concious mind.

HOWEVER, I think I intuit what you meant to ask here and I reply as such: No, Ti is not selfish or single-minded.... Ti "just doesn't care" about self-sustainment or others, period. Ti is a "crosscheck" mechanism that yields either a "pass" or "fail" result in varying degrees, no special passes warranted.

What you describe isn't a Ti vs. Ti conflict, but a classic communication failure

This whole thread and others like it make me want to start my official "why I hate the cognitive functions" thread..... ppl just start attributing ANY FUCKING THING to some arbitrary I/E function.... it's bullshit

MBTI
    Zzzz

Nah, it's the rider. The auxiliary is the horse, slave to the whims of the driver .And tertiary is the chariot, keeping you safe, and the ground is the inferior, that you navigate, yet disdain (hence the use of chariot) and hope you don't fall and hit your head on.

imo
    I chose to further it over in your thread.

Quote Originally Posted by nozflubber
    Ti cannot be "egocentric" because Ti has no Ego, lameass! Ego is a COMPOSITION of inputs (IE all functions) that yields your concious mind.
    Yea, I've changed my mind. In great detail.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

In general, yes, that's the thing -- differences result from differences in initial assumptions and data input. The rational processes themselves use the same 'rules'... which is why this is Ti we are describing and not Fi.

Quote Originally Posted by happy puppy View Post
    okay so what if you are a super insecure NTP? Then do you feel the need to trump other folks Ti? How does edcation level, status, academic credentials play into the "stability" of the foundation of deeper assimiliated knowledge?
    People who focus on Ti exclusively and who are weak in other areas (notably social functioning ones) will try to leverage their primary in order to gain social mobility and power. It usually becomes all about being validated by others for one's intelligence and rationality.

Other functions can provide more of a bridge in terms of helping one relate to other people in ways the majority can perceive and understand. And when one is secure with oneself and others, the need for validation goes away anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by nozflubber View Post
    "Lameass" is irrational. Apparently Ti can be muddied down by various flavors of invective that have nothing to do with the logic of the statements.

HOWEVER, I think I intuit what you meant to ask here and I reply as such: No, Ti is not selfish or single-minded.... Ti "just doesn't care" about self-sustainment or others, period. Ti is a "crosscheck" mechanism that yields either a "pass" or "fail" result in varying degrees, no special passes warranted.
    i think you're failing to consider the notion of "will" and "ego" apart from function use.

The function is the tool.
    The will is the directing force.

Now, I do agree that Ti in itself is what you've said it is: A crosscheck mechanism that flags data with probabilities of accuracy and then draws conclusions with those probabilities generated and attached.

This whole thread and others like it make me want to start my official "why I hate the cognitive functions" thread..... ppl just start attributing ANY FUCKING THING to some arbitrary I/E function.... it's bullshit
    That's nice.

Tone it down, please.... or take it elsewhere.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

garbage

Quote Originally Posted by nozflubber View Post
    I'm pretty sure that happy puppy is just curious about what could be a difference between Fi and Ti and not trying to state that Ti is inherently selfish

no clinkz 'til brooklyn Nocapszy's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by zarc View Post
    It will always be horse to your chariot.
    Nah, it's the rider.
    Please don't make absurd metaphors.

Thanks in advance for your unconditional cooperation.
    we fukin won boys