• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NT] How to mess with an NT's head

MacGuffin

Permabanned
MBTI Type
xkcd
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Messing with my head means being passive aggressive, more specifically telling me you're mad at me and refusing to reveal the reason why, even to the extent of making me guess why you're mad and still not revealing the answer.

Strange, INTPs can be very P-A. Self-hate?

Risen

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
9w8
Strange, INTPs can be very P-A. Self-hate?

I used to, but I grew out of it. Nowadays if I'm mad at someone or bugged by something I'll say it or just let it go.

JonJT

MBTI Type
INTP
Messing with my head means being passive aggressive, more specifically telling me you're mad at me and refusing to reveal the reason why, even to the extent of making me guess why you're mad and still not revealing the answer. Keeping knowledge away from me is the worst. That usually only works if I'm really close to someone though.

Same, it drives me absolutely crazy, and makes me think I've got an anger problem.

mortabunt

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
Enneagram
"oh yeah, those guys/girls are totally into you! They said they wanted you to come talk to them"

I've experienced that. That sets of my BS detector instantly and I know to ignore them.

Hao

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
1w9
I'm not sure if this applies to all NTs, maybe just INTJs in general. Ask us how we feel about something. Not what we think about it.

The following scenario plays out whenever someone asks me what I feel about a certain issue. My mouth opens to answer what I think about the issue, but my brain stops me just as I'm about to speak, reminding me that the other party had asked me what I felt, not what I thought. Panicking, I stammer out something along the lines of "uh...well..." while trying desperately to figure out what I felt about the particular issue.

Most of the time, I can't figure out what I feel about the issue of interest, so I give a reply of what I think of the issue. And to really mess with me at that point, just say "I see...but I want to know how you feel about it, not what you think about it." This gets me all the time :doh:

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
LOL, but on some issues its not important what you think, it is important what you feel :alttongue:
So of course we're gonna ask that :D

You ask us constantly what we 'think' about something, btw, and when we cannot put together a logical, consistant opinion, it's often frowned upon...food for thought? :devil:

juggernaut

Permabanned
- as does bringing in completely irrelevant topics and insisting on their logical and rational relevance. Be sure to use those words. OFTEN.

- also change your stance every so often and insist you've been on that side all along

- tell them that not following rules is a rule itself

- undermine independence, and reiterate their dependency to others. Bonus points if you can give examples

- tell them to stop being so 'emotional' in the middle of an argument.

- call Science a conspiracy

- ask them to explain their jokes...each and every time

- deliberately recall the past falsely, esp. with regards to relevant facts to a discussion

Definitely! I've recently been reminded in a couple of threads on this very board just how irritating this is. In my daily life, outside of my home (and inside as well for the most part) this just isn't tolerated...AT ALL!

The feeling question mentioned by another poster drives me to utter distraction. Who cares how I feel! That too is irrelevant, unless you're a doctor or inquiring about what I want for lunch.

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I care...and hardly consider it irrelevant. It tells me a lot more than that Bs that comes out of your mouth :devil:

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
:hug: tnx for inspiring me to start it, sweety

Erudur

MBTI Type
INTJ
...getting them riled up about their new pet-theory and deliberately playing 'dumb' aka misunderstanding what they're saying completely works brilliantly as well.

Soooooooo bad! I don't consider myself gullible, but I'd probably fall into this trap.

Erudur

MBTI Type
INTJ
- as does bringing in completely irrelevant topics and insisting on their logical and rational relevance. Be sure to use those words. OFTEN.

- also change your stance every so often and insist you've been on that side all along

- tell them that not following rules is a rule itself

- undermine independence, and reiterate their dependency to others. Bonus points if you can give examples

- tell them to stop being so 'emotional' in the middle of an argument.

- call Science a conspiracy

- ask them to explain their jokes...each and every time

- deliberately recall the past falsely, esp. with regards to relevant facts to a discussion

Oh my. Ban this thread.

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Soooooooo bad! I don't consider myself gullible, but I'd probably fall into this trap.

But you guys are so adorable when you do fall in that trap :wubbie:

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm

But you guys are so adorable when you do fall in that trap :wubbie:

I am not so sure that we are the ones who fall into a "trap".
Lets take a closer look.

You ril us up. But if we decide to actually reply that means we have somekind of a intrest in you. Otherwise we will just ignore you.
So you continue provoking and you enjoy doing it.
What means that you like us more since we are interesting. But since we have interest in you it is desirable that you like us. In many cases NT will not be aware of this but this is a key part in seducing an NF.

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I am not so sure that we are the ones who fall into a "trap".
Lets take a closer look.

You ril us up. But if we decide to actually reply that means we have somekind of a intrest in you. Otherwise we will just ignore you.
So you continue provoking and you enjoy doing it.
What means that you like us more since we are interesting. But since we have interest in you it is desirable that you like us. In many cases NT will not be aware of this but this is a key part in seducing an NF.

IME this is often true for INTJs but not necessarily for the other NT's :D

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
If someone inquires me about a pet-theory, I see it as an interest in my theory and am more then willing to teach and explain. =)

Nothing trappy about it!