User Tag List

First 16242526

MBTI
    NICE

Quote Originally Posted by Tallulah View Post
    Wow. I swear, sometimes I just want to inform the lot of them that they are clearly wasting their parents' or the government's money, because they are not ready to be in college. I have told some of them that if they're not going to be present when they come anyway, they might do us both a favor and just skip.

It's strange to me how many of my students confess stuff like that to me. Like, "Oh, I couldn't have plagiarized that other student's paper, because, see, I wrote most of mine 45 minutes before class!" Like that is better, that you didn't even start this thing until it was almost due.
    Logic: it's shit, but it's original shit.

Conclusion: It's still shit.

Edit: Sorry - that was a bit to blunt in retrospect. You get my drift.
    Last edited by matmos; 04-14-2009 at 12:20 PM.

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    SLE

Wow. I swear, sometimes I just want to inform the lot of them that they are clearly wasting their parents' or the government's money, because they are not ready to be in college. I have told some of them that if they're not going to be present when they come anyway, they might do us both a favor and just skip.

It's strange to me how many of my students confess stuff like that to me. Like, "Oh, I couldn't have plagiarized that other student's paper, because, see, I wrote most of mine 45 minutes before class!" Like that is better, that you didn't even start this thing until it was almost due.
    And to think that there are deserving students out there who didn't get into this university because these idiots are taking up spots.

I can see why it'd be better for them to just skip instead of offending you with their mentally-vacant presence, but I make them come. My reasoning is that if they're going to waste my time by making me grade their shitty work, then I'm going to waste as much of their time as possible by making them attend class. And it gives me glee at the end of the semester to dock percentages from the ones that don't come anyway.

What's most frightening about students who say things like "I couldn't have plagiarized because I wrote this 45 minutes before class" is that they're not even doing it to goad or insult you. At least then there would be recognition on their part that what they're saying is unacceptable.
    Artes, Scientia, Veritasiness

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Orangey View Post
    And to think that there are deserving students out there who didn't get into this university because these idiots are taking up spots.

I can see why it'd be better for them to just skip instead of offending you with their mentally-vacant presence, but I make them come. My reasoning is that if they're going to waste my time by making me grade their shitty work, then I'm going to waste as much of their time as possible by making them attend class. And it gives me glee at the end of the semester to dock percentages from the ones that don't come anyway.
    True! I do actually give them a participation grade at the end of the semester, and this is something I came up with last year--at the last class period, I have them write me a paragraph assessing their own performance in the class, and then make them give themselves a score on the scale of 1-10. It doesn't affect the grade I actually give them, but it makes them have to sit and assess themselves. It's interesting to see which ones try to make a sales pitch, and which ones actually think about how they could have improved. Not surprisingly, most go the sales pitch route.

What's most frightening about students who say things like "I couldn't have plagiarized because I wrote this 45 minutes before class" is that they're not even doing it to goad or insult you. At least then there would be recognition on their part that what they're saying is unacceptable.
    That's what floors me. And it happens all the time. It's just so far from how I approached even the classes I didn't like. I'd never have let my professor know I wasn't invested.
    Something Witty

MBTI
    INTJ

YES YES YES. First of all, don't even pretend you're interested if you're not. I can deal with you a lot better that way. But to ask a question and then go glassy-eyed or start talking to the student next to you, or have the nerve to pull out your cell? I will go nuts.

I actually had a student tell me the other day, quite matter-of-factly, and with no ill-will intended, that honestly, he probably wouldn't finish reading the play that they're writing their final paper on, because it's too long. REALLY? You're actually going to straight-up tell me that you don't really care, and can't be bothered to do the assignment properly? You can imagine how well that went over.
    I get stuck with these weedout classes. I find it somewhat unbelievable that students will put themselves in a position where the only thing standing between them and academic probation is my lenience and good will, and then they proceed to bludgeon my good will to death with appalling rudeness and open demonstrations of contempt for me, the subject or both.

Not surprisingly, most go the sales pitch route.

That's what floors me. And it happens all the time. It's just so far from how I approached even the classes I didn't like. I'd never have let my professor know I wasn't invested.
    It's funny, too, how many of them will go out of their way to make their disinterest clear -- but then the very next week they start with the standard grade-grubbing tactics. I'm entertaining the notion of combating this behavior with a blank stare. You want to roll your eyes and make a big show about leaving during my lecture on Popper? Ok. But I'm just going to look at you like you're a total moron when you come up to me and tell me how SERIOUSLY SERIOUS you are about the class.

MBTI
    XNTJ

Default `

Lol, NTs don't typically waste their time on people that change sides or
    stances too often. They find them wishy washy and to have too much
    free time on their hands.

DoubleplusUngoodNonperson
    MBTI
    Hype

^that's not always true... many NTP rationals like Russell are heavily criticized because they changed their worldview every now and then

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    SLE

Quote Originally Posted by sunset5678 View Post
    Lol, NTs don't typically waste their time on people that change sides or
    stances too often. They find them wishy washy and to have too much
    free time on their hands.
    Maybe XNTJs. For me, this is pretty much the opposite of what I prefer.
    Artes, Scientia, Veritasiness