• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NT] How to mess with an NT's head

Costrin

rawr
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
5w4
If someone inquires me about a pet-theory, I see it as an interest in my theory and am more then willing to teach and explain. =)

Nothing trappy about it!

Indeed.

Deliberately misunderstanding stuff though, can get annoying if taken too far, and eventually I'll just give up.

marmandahalf

Reading this thread (well, the on-topic parts) made my skin crawl. And reminded me why I hate the world, the roughly 20% of the time that I do. This:

- as does bringing in completely irrelevant topics and insisting on their logical and rational relevance. Be sure to use those words. OFTEN.

- also change your stance every so often and insist you've been on that side all along

- tell them that not following rules is a rule itself

- undermine independence, and reiterate their dependency to others. Bonus points if you can give examples

- tell them to stop being so 'emotional' in the middle of an argument.

- call Science a conspiracy

- ask them to explain their jokes...each and every time

- deliberately recall the past falsely, esp. with regards to relevant facts to a discussion

would be hilarious, except that PEOPLE DO THIS. And they're SERIOUS. Ugh.

I need to go angry-pace.

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I just now asked an INTP what really annoys him, and here's what he said:

"When people ask you a serious question, and as soon as you get into your answer, they lose interest and leave you hanging."

p.s. Where's that SJ thread that Amargith mentioned in the first post?

marmandahalf

I was talking to an ENFP tonight, and right in the middle of my musings about the causality behind some social phenomenon or another, he stopped me and said, "Yeah, but why does it really matter? Why analyze everything? We're never going to figure anything out completely."

And I was like "...."

And then I stopped having a secret crush on him.

laintpe

Summer
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Be offended, say you are offended, allow me to acknowledge that you were offended, allow me to pretend that i am sorry for offending you so that will stop whining/complaining/speaking... and then bring up the entire situation/complaint an hour/day/week later.

it happened yesterday, several times, to the point where all i could say was, "This changes nothing that has happened. You are too sensitive and really need to get over that (because I find it incredibly annoying and want to install a permanent bark collar on your neck)."

It's especially annoying when they do what I just mentioned and the situation has nothing to do with him/her. Like, "I think so-and-so should have been offended by that." Considering the people she was talking about were actually entertained by the situation, her argument really holds no ground... why does she speak. why.

Aleph-One

MBTI Type
INTJ
"When people ask you a serious question, and as soon as you get into your answer, they lose interest and leave you hanging."
I have students who do that. It is my Hulk Smash button. If they do it, I make them cry. I get calls from the dean or department chair on a monthly basis about some freshman (who was texting during lecture) who made a b-line for the department offices after I ripped them a new asshole.

Transparent anti-intellectualism is one of a handful of things that will make me display honest rage. Fortunately I get to dispense Fs like so many pez pellets at the end of the semester, and forcibly remove the worst of them from my classroom. Reactionary contempt for theoretical concepts on the part of the offender has, on occasion, led me to physical violence. :yes:

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
Talk to them about a certain topic and then totally randomly assault their emotions. Then go on talking about the certain topic. Works 100% of the time

Tallulah

Emerging
MBTI Type
INTP
I just now asked an INTP what really annoys him, and here's what he said:

I have students who do that. It is my Hulk Smash button. If they do it, I make them cry. I get calls from the dean or department chair on a monthly basis about some freshman (who was texting during lecture) who made a b-line for the department offices after I ripped them a new asshole.

Transparent anti-intellectualism is one of a handful of things that will make me display honest rage. Fortunately I get to dispense Fs like so many pez pellets at the end of the semester, and forcibly remove the worst of them from my classroom. Reactionary contempt for theoretical concepts on the part of the offender has, on occasion, led me to physical violence. :yes:

YES YES YES. First of all, don't even pretend you're interested if you're not. I can deal with you a lot better that way. But to ask a question and then go glassy-eyed or start talking to the student next to you, or have the nerve to pull out your cell? I will go nuts.

I actually had a student tell me the other day, quite matter-of-factly, and with no ill-will intended, that honestly, he probably wouldn't finish reading the play that they're writing their final paper on, because it's too long. REALLY? You're actually going to straight-up tell me that you don't really care, and can't be bothered to do the assignment properly? You can imagine how well that went over.

Orangey

Blah
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
6w5
YES YES YES. First of all, don't even pretend you're interested if you're not. I can deal with you a lot better that way. But to ask a question and then go glassy-eyed or start talking to the student next to you, or have the nerve to pull out your cell? I will go nuts.

I actually had a student tell me the other day, quite matter-of-factly, and with no ill-will intended, that honestly, he probably wouldn't finish reading the play that they're writing their final paper on, because it's too long. REALLY? You're actually going to straight-up tell me that you don't really care, and can't be bothered to do the assignment properly? You can imagine how well that went over.

Ha! I had some students tell me to my face that they weren't going to take their debates seriously because they didn't believe that it was right to make them argue both sides of the issue, and that this wouldn't be useful to them later in life. I had to promptly tell them to see me in office hours lest my white hot rage seep through in the form of a venomous response.

I've also nearly lose it when a student asks a question and then proceeds to put their head down, sprawl bored onto their desk, or start texting during my answer. Or when I ask them a simple-minded question and they stare blankly back at me, or worse, ask me to repeat the question because they weren't paying attention.

Tallulah

Emerging
MBTI Type
INTP
Ha! I had some students tell me to my face that they weren't going to take their debates seriously because they didn't believe that it was right to make them argue both sides of the issue, and that this wouldn't be useful to them later in life. I had to promptly tell them to see me in office hours lest my white hot rage seep through in the form of a venomous response.

I've also nearly lost it when a student asks a question and then proceeds to put their head down, sprawl bored onto their desk, or start texting during my answer. Or when I ask them a simple-minded question and they stare blankly back at me, or worse, ask me to repeat the question because they weren't paying attention.

Wow. I swear, sometimes I just want to inform the lot of them that they are clearly wasting their parents' or the government's money, because they are not ready to be in college. I have told some of them that if they're not going to be present when they come anyway, they might do us both a favor and just skip.

It's strange to me how many of my students confess stuff like that to me. Like, "Oh, I couldn't have plagiarized that other student's paper, because, see, I wrote most of mine 45 minutes before class!" Like that is better, that you didn't even start this thing until it was almost due.

matmos

MBTI Type
NICE
Wow. I swear, sometimes I just want to inform the lot of them that they are clearly wasting their parents' or the government's money, because they are not ready to be in college. I have told some of them that if they're not going to be present when they come anyway, they might do us both a favor and just skip.

It's strange to me how many of my students confess stuff like that to me. Like, "Oh, I couldn't have plagiarized that other student's paper, because, see, I wrote most of mine 45 minutes before class!" Like that is better, that you didn't even start this thing until it was almost due.

Logic: it's shit, but it's original shit.

Conclusion: It's still shit.

Edit: Sorry - that was a bit to blunt in retrospect. You get my drift.

Last edited:

Orangey

Blah
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
6w5

And to think that there are deserving students out there who didn't get into this university because these idiots are taking up spots.

I can see why it'd be better for them to just skip instead of offending you with their mentally-vacant presence, but I make them come. My reasoning is that if they're going to waste my time by making me grade their shitty work, then I'm going to waste as much of their time as possible by making them attend class. And it gives me glee at the end of the semester to dock percentages from the ones that don't come anyway.

What's most frightening about students who say things like "I couldn't have plagiarized because I wrote this 45 minutes before class" is that they're not even doing it to goad or insult you. At least then there would be recognition on their part that what they're saying is unacceptable.

Tallulah

Emerging
MBTI Type
INTP
And to think that there are deserving students out there who didn't get into this university because these idiots are taking up spots.

I can see why it'd be better for them to just skip instead of offending you with their mentally-vacant presence, but I make them come. My reasoning is that if they're going to waste my time by making me grade their shitty work, then I'm going to waste as much of their time as possible by making them attend class. And it gives me glee at the end of the semester to dock percentages from the ones that don't come anyway.

True! I do actually give them a participation grade at the end of the semester, and this is something I came up with last year--at the last class period, I have them write me a paragraph assessing their own performance in the class, and then make them give themselves a score on the scale of 1-10. It doesn't affect the grade I actually give them, but it makes them have to sit and assess themselves. It's interesting to see which ones try to make a sales pitch, and which ones actually think about how they could have improved. Not surprisingly, most go the sales pitch route.

What's most frightening about students who say things like "I couldn't have plagiarized because I wrote this 45 minutes before class" is that they're not even doing it to goad or insult you. At least then there would be recognition on their part that what they're saying is unacceptable.

That's what floors me. And it happens all the time. It's just so far from how I approached even the classes I didn't like. I'd never have let my professor know I wasn't invested.

Aleph-One

MBTI Type
INTJ

I get stuck with these weedout classes. I find it somewhat unbelievable that students will put themselves in a position where the only thing standing between them and academic probation is my lenience and good will, and then they proceed to bludgeon my good will to death with appalling rudeness and open demonstrations of contempt for me, the subject or both. :doh:

Not surprisingly, most go the sales pitch route.

That's what floors me. And it happens all the time. It's just so far from how I approached even the classes I didn't like. I'd never have let my professor know I wasn't invested.
It's funny, too, how many of them will go out of their way to make their disinterest clear -- but then the very next week they start with the standard grade-grubbing tactics. I'm entertaining the notion of combating this behavior with a blank stare. You want to roll your eyes and make a big show about leaving during my lecture on Popper? Ok. But I'm just going to look at you like you're a total moron when you come up to me and tell me how SERIOUSLY SERIOUS you are about the class.

sunset5678

MBTI Type
XNTJ
`

Lol, NTs don't typically waste their time on people that change sides or
stances too often. They find them wishy washy and to have too much
free time on their hands.

nozflubber

DoubleplusUngoodNonperson
MBTI Type
Hype
^that's not always true... many NTP rationals like Russell are heavily criticized because they changed their worldview every now and then

Orangey

Blah
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
6w5
Lol, NTs don't typically waste their time on people that change sides or
stances too often. They find them wishy washy and to have too much
free time on their hands.

Maybe XNTJs. For me, this is pretty much the opposite of what I prefer.