• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NT] Science as art

BlueScreen

Fail 2.0
MBTI Type
YMCA
What do you NTs think when you finish your creations in science?

I know as an ENFP I tend to liken my science work to creating art, and perfecting the system is a form of art. I tend to sit back and look at the final product as a beautiful piece of creation. I get the feeling all types are really happy when they create something new and cool.

What is the difference for NTs from us? Do you think, "this is a solid system that will calculate the answer precisely to...", or do you think, "behold my beautiful shining masterpiece", or do you think both?

Costrin

rawr
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
5w4
Meh, I don't really care about the finished product. It's the process itself that is much more interesting to me and could be described as "art". I love the process of figuring out the missing piece that explains everything (of course, there has to be a release some time, otherwise it wears off). As long as what I'm doing continues to provides puzzles for me to solve, then I will continue to do it. When that runs out, I quickly get bored. When I get a finished product and look back on it, I don't really feel anything. It's done, over, time to move on to the next project. The product means nothing.

imo

Probably Ti/Te difference.

BlueScreen

Fail 2.0
MBTI Type
YMCA
Yeh, it can be strange, because I love creation, but don't care much for achievement. I think I just feel a connection with creations. And love admiring them :).

I think Te plays a part in the loving of optimisation and stuff. I notice I'm more into presentation than INTPs at work. You guys love the facts. But I have this urge to have what is on the page in a really clear form, like the ergonomics for the person reading it comes into it a lot. And the layout on the page has to be pleasing from close or at a distance. I've been known to change documents because the layout doesn't give me a good vibe or I don't see certain things quickly when I look at them.

nozflubber

DoubleplusUngoodNonperson
MBTI Type
Hype
"art and science come from the same human faculty" -von Goethe

the theoretical physicist needs as much, if not more, imagination as the surrealist painter.

oh, but wait that's not what you were asking..... ummmmm, i don't think anything yet cuz I haven't finalized any of my stuff yet.... it's always on drawing board and being rewritten!

sculpting

I've been known to change documents because the layout doesn't give me a good vibe or I don't see certain things quickly when I look at them.

I spend a lot of time enhancing the "flow" of our software products. All the INTP programmers think I am a crackhead and make comments about "how stupid can our scientist customers really be?" Yet when the customers see the final product they love it and talk about how much better the flow is.

I think as an ENFP maybe we have a knack for understanding the way others-especially Ns think and take in the information when it is presented to them. We pick up on "hiccups" in the flow.

We tend to make very good trainers as well, becuase we see the subtle cues when the NT recepient didnt quite understand the material but is too self concoius to ask a question.

sculpting

What do you NTs think when you finish your creations in science?

I know as an ENFP I tend to liken my science work to creating art, and perfecting the system is a form of art. I tend to sit back and look at the final product as a beautiful piece of creation. I get the feeling all types are really happy when they create something new and cool.

What is the difference for NTs from us? Do you think, "this is a solid system that will calculate the answer precisely to...", or do you think, "behold my beautiful shining masterpiece", or do you think both?

I thought science was beautiful. I loved the patterns and complexity and I had moments of religious awe in certain courses-notably Biochemistry when learning about signal transduction pathways and in P.Chem when learning about orbital theory and how the P orbitals are actually mathmatical constructs with imaginary components. Dude, WTF?

That was part of the reason I gravitated towards biophysics in grad school was looking for the deeper answer to why does one protein interact with another. The asnwers to me would be beautiful and glowing and I could see pieces of patterns that my more solid NT collegues missed.

However I found I lacked the long term stamina to plow through the hard times and once there was no emotional attachment to the data, I just didnt give a crap anymore.