• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NT] Who wants to learn High Energy Physics with me?

ygolo

My termites win
As many of you know, I am in the process of making a career-change from Engineer to Physicist. Right now, it seems like I want to get into High Energy Physics--Theory as the ultimate goal...This means working on things like String Theory and Quantum Gravity or working out their implications for achievable experiments (eventually). I think I would prefer working on phenomenology over creating new theories at this point...but that may change.

However, it is a long trek from where I am to where I would like to be. I will be enrolling at a near-by state college in Undergraduate Physics in the fall, but I know that most of my learning will be on my own (as it usually is).

Even though the eventual aim is to learn High-Energy Theory, there are a LOT of pre-requisites. I made an initial list of what I believe I need to learn here.

I've started the process here.

I will be utilizing some help from physicsforums, as well...but relatively speaking, I'm a n00b. So it would be fun to have other n00b's (even if just one) learning along with me.

Also, I learned of a handy resource for current data on particle physics:
Particle Data Group - Downloads

Laurie

Was E.laur
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Do I have to remember anything from normal physics?

ygolo

My termites win
Not necesarily. I like explaining things, so I'll try to get people up to speed.

G

garbage

Sweet, high energy physics! I don't understand it at all, and it makes my brain hurt just thinking about it, but best of luck to you. Most of the oddest and smartest people I know are physicists, so, I hope that suits you well :)

ygolo

My termites win
You know, I just realized that this thread is not in the "personal threads" section.

Which I guess is OK, if nobody else minds.

Kangirl

I'm a star.
MBTI Type
ENTJ
You know, if I could download this info into my brain a la The Matrix, then I'd be in. But as it is...no. Too lazy. Way, WAY too lazy.

ThatsWhatHeSaid

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
You know, if I could download this info into my brain a la The Matrix, then I'd be in. But as it is...no. Too lazy. Way, WAY too lazy.

If you could download things into your brain, is there anything you WOULDN'T want?

/deep

Geoff

Lallygag Moderator
MBTI Type
INXP
I opened up Schrodingers Box, and unfortunately by sheer chance I am dead. I am therefore unable to help you learn high energy physics.

BlueScreen

Fail 2.0
MBTI Type
YMCA
I opened up Schrodingers Box, and unfortunately by sheer chance I am dead. I am therefore unable to help you learn high energy physics.

I thought it was meant to be the cat. Stupid entanglement.

A Schnitzel

WTF is this dude saying?
MBTI Type
INTP
Don't bother thinking about string theory or other theories that aren't solidified until you are through everything else. Mechanics is a good place to start. It works with problems that you can imagine physically (bonus), yet the problems can be quite difficult. Do you have any mechanics textbook?

BlueScreen

Fail 2.0
MBTI Type
YMCA
Good post Schnitzel.

I think ygolo has a decent grasp of the more simple stuff already. Though learning classical mechanics stuff can be pretty important. I bridged engineering to physics and it is quite important to know that stuff when making the next step to higher level quantum stuff. Otherwise the approach can look somewhat alien.

ygolo

My termites win
Good post Schnitzel.

I think ygolo has a decent grasp of the more simple stuff already. Though learning classical mechanics stuff can be pretty important. I bridged engineering to physics and it is quite important to know that stuff when making the next step to higher level quantum stuff. Otherwise the approach can look somewhat alien.

Yeah, the Lagrangian and Hamiltonian approaches do seem a little weird, but the equations are easy enough to derive.

I've also done some study of quantum mechanics on my own, and I am fairly comfortable with Hilbert Spaces.

FDG

pathwise dependent
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w8
If you open a blog or post links to read here and/or comments, I'd surely read as much as I can (though, I'm still in school so I won't be able to read in detail). Good luck with that, being a physicist has always been my dream too, maybe I will too try to get a BS in it while working, after finishing with economics.

ygolo

My termites win
If you open a blog or post links to read here and/or comments, I'd surely read as much as I can (though, I'm still in school so I won't be able to read in detail). Good luck with that, being a physicist has always been my dream too, maybe I will too try to get a BS in it while working, after finishing with economics.

We can use this thread...

I've decided that basic electromagnetism is straight forward enough.

So I am trying to understand the covariant formulation, while learning the formalism for special relativity.

It seems like a good place to start...special relativity.

Anyone know good sources?

I read Einstein's popular exposition when I was a kid, but he didn't really use the formalism there. He just made the case that starting with the principle of relativity and that the speed of light in a vacuum is constant, that you get the Lorentz Transformations. There was also some exposition for E=m*c^2/(1-v^2/c^2)^0.5, and that cool Taylor expansion where E=m*c^2+(1/2)m*v^2+...

I reviewed this stuff using wikipedia here.

But it seems like to understand any of the "classical" stuff, we need to understand four-vectors, Minkowski space-time, and the use of Tensors to delay the action of feilds and forces to account for the maximum information transfer limit at the speed of light.

Frank

Good luck. I find string theory and quantum physics absolutely fascinating. Although to understand it somewhat I have to resort to the QP for dummies documentaries.