User Tag List

First 12

yep, I'm in.
    Freude, schöner Götterfunken Tochter aus Elysium, Wir betreten feuertrunken, Himmlische, dein Heiligtum! Deine Zauber binden wieder Was die Mode streng geteilt; Alle Menschen werden Brüder, Wo dein sanfter Flügel weilt.

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff View Post
    I opened up Schrodingers Box, and unfortunately by sheer chance I am dead. I am therefore unable to help you learn high energy physics.
    I thought it was meant to be the cat. Stupid entanglement.
    Freude, schöner Götterfunken Tochter aus Elysium, Wir betreten feuertrunken, Himmlische, dein Heiligtum! Deine Zauber binden wieder Was die Mode streng geteilt; Alle Menschen werden Brüder, Wo dein sanfter Flügel weilt.

WTF is this dude saying? A Schnitzel's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Socionics
    B.S.

Don't bother thinking about string theory or other theories that aren't solidified until you are through everything else. Mechanics is a good place to start. It works with problems that you can imagine physically (bonus), yet the problems can be quite difficult. Do you have any mechanics textbook?
    Quote Originally Posted by prplchknz View Post
    sheesh humans! for realz

Good post Schnitzel.

I think ygolo has a decent grasp of the more simple stuff already. Though learning classical mechanics stuff can be pretty important. I bridged engineering to physics and it is quite important to know that stuff when making the next step to higher level quantum stuff. Otherwise the approach can look somewhat alien.

Quote Originally Posted by noigmn View Post
    Good post Schnitzel.

I think ygolo has a decent grasp of the more simple stuff already. Though learning classical mechanics stuff can be pretty important. I bridged engineering to physics and it is quite important to know that stuff when making the next step to higher level quantum stuff. Otherwise the approach can look somewhat alien.
    Yeah, the Lagrangian and Hamiltonian approaches do seem a little weird, but the equations are easy enough to derive.

I've also done some study of quantum mechanics on my own, and I am fairly comfortable with Hilbert Spaces.

Accept the past. Live for the present. Look forward to the future.
    Robot Fusion
    "As our island of knowledge grows, so does the shore of our ignorance." John Wheeler
    "[A] scientist looking at nonscientific problems is just as dumb as the next guy." Richard Feynman
    "[P]etabytes of [] data is not the same thing as understanding emergent mechanisms and structures." Jim Crutchfield

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTj

If you open a blog or post links to read here and/or comments, I'd surely read as much as I can (though, I'm still in school so I won't be able to read in detail). Good luck with that, being a physicist has always been my dream too, maybe I will too try to get a BS in it while working, after finishing with economics.
    ENTj 7-3-8 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by FDG View Post
    If you open a blog or post links to read here and/or comments, I'd surely read as much as I can (though, I'm still in school so I won't be able to read in detail). Good luck with that, being a physicist has always been my dream too, maybe I will too try to get a BS in it while working, after finishing with economics.
    We can use this thread...

I've decided that basic electromagnetism is straight forward enough.

So I am trying to understand the covariant formulation, while learning the formalism for special relativity.

It seems like a good place to start...special relativity.

Anyone know good sources?

I read Einstein's popular exposition when I was a kid, but he didn't really use the formalism there. He just made the case that starting with the principle of relativity and that the speed of light in a vacuum is constant, that you get the Lorentz Transformations. There was also some exposition for E=m*c^2/(1-v^2/c^2)^0.5, and that cool Taylor expansion where E=m*c^2+(1/2)m*v^2+...

I reviewed this stuff using wikipedia here.

But it seems like to understand any of the "classical" stuff, we need to understand four-vectors, Minkowski space-time, and the use of Tensors to delay the action of feilds and forces to account for the maximum information transfer limit at the speed of light.

Accept the past. Live for the present. Look forward to the future.
    Robot Fusion
    "As our island of knowledge grows, so does the shore of our ignorance." John Wheeler
    "[A] scientist looking at nonscientific problems is just as dumb as the next guy." Richard Feynman
    "[P]etabytes of [] data is not the same thing as understanding emergent mechanisms and structures." Jim Crutchfield

Good luck. I find string theory and quantum physics absolutely fascinating. Although to understand it somewhat I have to resort to the QP for dummies documentaries.