• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[MBTI General] Differences in Introverted and Extroverted Communication

Cindy

MBTI Type
INTJ
How can an introvert better communicate with an extrovert assuming they are having just as much input into the conversation as each other?

I had a situation at work today where the introverts understood easily the problem I was presenting however the extroverts didn't. They are all highly intelligent people so I can only account it to a difference in communication styles. I think all the people involved where probably T's as well.

I know I'm not giving you much to go on but a general idea of what the subtle and not so subtle differences are in communication styles between intoverts and extroverts may help.

Grungemouse

Widdles in your cream.
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
I'm somewhat of a newb at the 'advanced' stuff in MBTI, but I wouldn't necessarily say whether the two people are Introverts or Extraverts, but what their dominant Extraverted functions are. For instance, an INTP and an ENTP would presumably communicate with one another well due to their Ne, whilst an INTP and INTJ may clash because of the Ne vs Te.

I probably made no sense whatsoever. I'll just stand in the corner with my 'dunce' hat.

Costrin

rawr
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
5w4
I'm somewhat of a newb at the 'advanced' stuff in MBTI, but I wouldn't necessarily say whether the two people are Introverts or Extraverts, but what their dominant Extraverted functions are. For instance, an INTP and an ENTP would presumably communicate with one another well due to their Ne, whilst an INTP and INTJ may clash because of the Ne vs Te.

I probably made no sense whatsoever. I'll just stand in the corner with my 'dunce' hat.

Ya... pretty much.

Really... Introverts and Extroverts communicate the same, just Extroverts do it more. :p.

Do you know (or can guess) the types of the people in that situation?

BlahBlahNounBlah

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
I agree with Costrin. The differences are more quantity-related. An E will react while the I thinks before reacting. After the E reflects, he'd come to many of the same conclusions the I would.

I wish you could be more specific about the problem. Are you sure this is an E vs. I issue?

milly86

MBTI Type
ESTJ
Ye I think its a quantity thing. I's take longer to reach the answer. E's react quickly, verbalise their thought process and probably reach the answer quicker.

E's and I's will think the same things if they have the same dominant function but I think communication can sometimes get blocked when the E needs to express his thoughts and the I needs the E to shut up so he has a chance to think for himself. The I gets overwhelmed and tries to stop the E from talking so he can catch up, while the E gets frustrated that he isnt being allowed to speak when he has important thoughts to express. This is what I experience with my INTP boyfriend. We are both dominant T but he is Ti and I am Te. We think the same just at different speeds and we express our thoughts differently.

It must be another problem with your work situation - are you sure its not an S/N thing? Like if you aren't being specific enough the S's will probably all be a bit puzzled.

jenocyde

half mystic, half skeksis
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
How can an introvert better communicate with an extrovert assuming they are having just as much input into the conversation as each other?

Speak louder, and bring the point home faster. Seriously. If someone isn't assertive, I brush off what they're saying. If they're taking too long, I lose interest, my brain wanders and I spend more time formulating my thoughts than listening to yours. Which leads to a fundamental misunderstanding of the principles you are presenting. My most often used line is "get to the point". It's not something that I am proud of, but it's my truth.

bluebell

MBTI Type
INTP
Ye I think its a quantity thing. I's take longer to reach the answer. E's react quickly, verbalise their thought process and probably reach the answer quicker.

If it's a topic I've thought through in depth, I'm faster. If it's a new topic or a completely new angle, yeah, I tend to say leave it with me for a few minutes and I'll get back to you. I know some E's need to talk aloud to think, but my god, it gets pretty draining at times.

If someone isn't assertive, I brush off what they're saying.

I work with a few people who have that attitude and it's annoying. I can do that but it's way draining and I just wish they'd stop, listen and think. So, I tend to avoid them unless I really need to work with them on something.

jenocyde

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
I work with a few people who have that attitude and it's annoying. I can do that but it's way draining and I just wish they'd stop, listen and think. So, I tend to avoid them unless I really need to work with them on something.

I know, I suck. But in my defense, I tend to "get" things almost instantly, so for me it's draining to hear someone explain something bit by excruciating bit.

Stop and listen, I'll agree with. But stop and think? So foreign to me... Why would you ever need to stop in order to think?

bluebell

MBTI Type
INTP
I know, I suck. But in my defense, I tend to "get" things almost instantly, so for me it's draining to hear someone explain something bit by excruciating bit.

Ah, yeah, I rarely do the explaining bit by bit thing. If anything, I tend to leave too much out and speak fast. And same, I hate slow explanations. I get bored and switch off. It was the "If someone isn't assertive, I brush off what they're saying." that bugged me.

Stop and listen, I'll agree with. But stop and think? So foreign to me... Why would you ever need to stop in order to think?

Again, this is about my colleagues who will talk over the top of me without stopping to think about what I'm actually saying and jump to conclusions. If they stopped and thought for a second, it would be so much more efficient. (It tends to be the extreme extraverts who do this)

jenocyde

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
I hear ya.

Last edited:

Halla74

Artisan Conquerer
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I hear ya.

No doubt, it is PAINFUL to sit and listen to long, drawn out details. I guess extroverts seem like asses to those who are less assertive, less mission oriented. I like to get things done and move on - NEXT!!! Mach schnell!!! :happy:

Biaxident

Charting a course
MBTI Type
INFP
No doubt, it is PAINFUL to sit and listen to long, drawn out details. I guess extroverts seem like asses to those who are less assertive, less mission oriented. I like to get things done and move on - NEXT!!! Mach schnell!!! :happy:

Nein!!

I sometimes have intuitive leaps(I don't know what else to call it), where I skip all the minor B.S. and understand something without conscious thought.