User Tag List

First 12

MBTI
    NICE

Indeed wildcat - the macho man does not turn, but looks only forward.

I had a similar experience on a train from Schleswig-Holstein into Denmark. I had went to Flensburg to visit a German friend - he later went on to study in Munich and has done very well for himself. I took the opportunity to travel up into Jutland to meet up with my then girlfriend, who was training in a large provincial town too boring to name. And trains are a good way to travel in Europe. So I thought I'd relax and enjoy the European Dream, in the making, so to speak.

The train approached the Danish border crossing point and stopped; dozens of police boarded - some with dogs stood outside. The dogs were quite, they were under orders.

A middle-eastern woman was hauled off the train with her children - her papers were not in order, obviously.

Of course nobody on the train - largely a mixture of Danes and Germans - turned. I noticed this only after looking at the woman. The woman and her children were screaming, their distress obvious to anyone with ears. It may as well not have been happening, for all my fellow travellers appeared to care - even the women never turned.

Only the children on board were curious, but children learn how to behave from their parents; and like the dogs - they were under orders!

Some things never change.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by bananatrombones View Post
    Indeed wildcat - the macho man does not turn, but looks only forward.

I had a similar experience on a train from Schleswig-Holstein into Denmark. I had went to Flensburg to visit a German friend - he later went on to study in Munich and has done very well for himself. I took the opportunity to travel up into Jutland to meet up with my then girlfriend, who was training in a large provincial town too boring to name. And trains are a good way to travel in Europe. So I thought I'd relax and enjoy the European Dream, in the making, so to speak.

The train approached the Danish border crossing point and stopped; dozens of police boarded - some with dogs stood outside. The dogs were quite, they were under orders.

A middle-eastern woman was hauled off the train with her children - her papers were not in order, obviously.

Of course nobody on the train - largely a mixture of Danes and Germans - turned. I noticed this only after looking at the woman. The woman and her children were screaming, their distress obvious to anyone with ears. It may as well not have been happening, for all my fellow travellers appeared to care - even the women never turned.

Only the children on board were curious, but children learn how to behave from their parents; and like the dogs - they were under orders!

Some things never change.
    A sad spectacle.

When I entered the University of Helsinki, a lecture was held for the new students.
    The speaker was a middle aged woman. Her hair was tied in an austere knot.
    She said:

Never question or ask. Never doubt what you learn here.
    Your professors are in the know. You know nothing.
    You are not allowed to argue. You are here to absorb what you we teach you.

Later, I discovered the history of the discovery of the DNA.
    It could have only taken place in a British university.

What is wrong with us continentals?
    Everything.

MBTI
    NICE

Yes, wildcat. Serendipidy is a wonderful thing, but only if you see it as a friend.

Your sour-faced "teacher" hadn't realised that her paradigm didn't work. Her problem was not that it didn't work, but that she couldn't see that it didn't work.

Happy is the man that shouts - I am wrong.

Take care.