• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NT] music and feelings

Harlow_Jem

MBTI Type
eNTJ
Enneagram
8w9
I don't know if this has anything to do with type (NTJ types in particular), but is this true for anyone else...that music taught you how to feel?

I still remember the first time I heard a song that moved me and I realized that I felt things; before that, I don't think the concept of feelings even existed for me.

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
I'd give movies more credit for this than music, personally. Not that I never felt things before.

Nonsensical

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
I'm certainly not an NTJ, and have always been able to feel, perhaps, better than use my common sense sometimes, and comming from an NF, I'd like to say that music is one of the most inspiring things in our lives, at least for me. We thrive off of the energy and inspiration that it gives us. I think it's certainly possible for NT's, and other non-F's to feel this way when provoked by a good song, because it's not necessarily the difference of the T and F, but that we all are inspired one way or another and all have capabilities to feel things, some people just don't..and sometimes it will seep through these T's, and they will experience what you just said.

Gamine

in-game
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
3w2
Studying music and performing it helped me understand how to organize my emotions when I was a young emotionaltard. Since I have put a lot of effort into learning and practicing empathy and consideration, any feelings I show now are directed externally to others and I do not share my own. Music is one of the few places where my own emotions (not those of others) is actually present and substantial enough to articulate or understand.

Engler

MBTI Type
Enneagram
N/A
In all honesty, it often seems as though the only way I can truly experience emotion is through music. The emotions expressed within a song are transmitted to me, and may last for several hours.

With the exception of listening to music, I cannot recall the last time I was truly moved by an event.

Nonsensical

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
In all honesty, it often seems as though the only way I can truly experience emotion is through music. The emotions expressed within a song are transmitted to me, and may last for several hours.

With the exception of listening to music, I cannot recall the last time I was truly moved by an event.

Could it possibly be an N thing? Not referring to necessarily being inspired, but just being moved and realizing it's significance..and than T and F distinguishing how to manifest this?

littlemissgiggles

MBTI Type
entj
Enneagram
Some songs hit me in a way that is so painfully beautiful that my heart wants to burst but I can't stop listening. Rarely does that feeling happen. Sometimes books or movies will do it, too.

SuperServal

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Could it possibly be an N thing? Not referring to necessarily being inspired, but just being moved and realizing it's significance

Personally, I think it's just a human thing. I know way too many people that are deeply into music for it to be limited like that. It does seem like the NTs I know will get into analyzing why the music is making them feel a certain way, however......and the NFs will just sorta go with it.

My emotions get flung around like Texas cows in a Kansas tornado while listening to music.

Now that I think about it.....one NTJ that I knew wrote a long article about why he stopped liking most music. He basically said that he didn't like his emotions being manipulated to the extent that they were when he listened to music. So he started listening to more abstract music like Japanese flute playing (that doesn't focus on melody for instance). He said that he was able to let his own emotions slowly fill the space of that type of music. I thought that was one of the most interesting things I've read.

Willfrey

MBTI Type
IsTP
I'm not too sure about music bringing on emotions, but the right music would seem to enhance them..

Music to me can take me back to points in my life, I seem to be able to link songs to specific memories, typically of around when the song was popular or I listened to it a lot.

For instance, Iris by the Goo Goo Dolls vividly reminds me of my first 7th grade dance, or Judith by APC reminds me of living back at my old triplex...

Costrin

rawr
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
5w4
Nah, what taught me to feel was sappy romance shows.

But, this:

The mystery of emotion is also evidence in the INTP's use of music. He always chooses to listen to music which suits his current emotional state, be it aggression, warmth, excitement, relaxation or whatever. Hence, the emotional state is assumed to be an unchangeable, mysterious property of himself. It is easier to choose appropriate music than to attempt to influence this. People with introverted Feeling, Fi, however, will deliberately choose to listen to music which helps them change and improve their mood. INTPs could never do that. They feel an unpleasant sense of disharmony whenever a music style clashes with their emotional state. Indeed, it is remarkable how much attention they pay to their emotions when music is involved.

Froody Blue Gem

Necromancing Scapelamb
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I'm not sure if "taught" me how to feel. But there may be certain situations I'm in, then I find a song that verbalizes the situation I'm in, the feelings behind it. Movies, shows, and relating to certain characters is also an outlet of sorts for me. It may seem silly to normal people that I do this but whatever. Yes, it is silly but I ain't quitting. I'm unable to fully put it into words but then the song helps. Doing artwork, I'm better at getting feelings out then verbally expressing them.

Someone once told me that I need to work on expressing my feelings in words just as well as I express them on paper. They are all bottled up inside but once you give me a pen and paper, or any writing utensil, it helps me to process and is stress relieving. That is why I need a half an hour, several hours a day, or more to listen to music/draw. On my busier days when the semester starts or I have a lot of work, I don't always get this time but I can live putting it off a little.

Non_xsense

MBTI Type
Fool
Nah, what taught me to feel was sappy romance shows.

But, this:

i'm an intp composer. you are totally right. actually , i like to think emotions in music as structures ... Emotions can tell a story.
A improvization from a well educated Intp musician is just a a travel of emotions ....