videodrones; questions Verfremdungseffekt's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTp
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    Eh?

Righto. Second draft distillation time.

There are a few phases, each with its own lessons. I'll try to interrelate them as well as they'll allow. Keep in mind I'm just talking about myself here, but much of this may be more broadly applicable.

I am really, really bewildered when people show attraction to me, especially without obvious reason. This isn't a self-image thing; I'm fond of my appearance, I deliberately dress well, and I know that I'm bright and creative. What I don't get is the attraction thing. It weirds me out, because that's not generally how I look at the world. If a person has a pleasing face or manner, I may notice on some level. Normally I'd have to sit and focus on her to come to a decision, though. And then I'll shrug. Well, that's nice, I'll think.

I'm out to be inspired. As excited as I am when people respond to the ideas I've put a bunch of time and energy into, I'm sent head over heels when someone leads me down a new avenue that I hadn't noticed, leading to either a revelation of my own or a spontaneous revelation on her part, that I can trace and absorb into my own worldview.

For me, social interaction is all about expanding my perspective on the world. Anything, anyone that can give me this, and simultaneously validate my own observations, captures my undivided attention. Ideally, both she and I will become bigger, better, wiser from our interaction.

So it takes a profoundly unusual person -- a person excited by abstract and unusual concepts, and who can relate whatever she learns to her own individually developed perspective about the nature of the world -- to knock me wholly out of reason and caution, in the sense that people typically think about romance. In thirty years only one person has ever done that, and for everything she had going for her, she inadvertently ruined it by raising my self-preservation alarms.

It's not impossible to burrow into my graces, given enough time. Just be there and be sincere for long enough, and affection (if not outright desire) will start to drip out all over. But there are two big walls to get past: a lack of innate romantic compulsion, and a deep sense of skepticism toward others and their potential motivations. Why, I ask, is this person talking to me? What does she want? You have to show me that you aren't just here to use me for something that I can't begin to comprehend.

[Aside: one of my closest friends right now is a girl (ISTP) who works at the cafe around the corner. I've known her since late 2007, but it took us over half a year to formally introduce ourselves -- and then most of the rest of the year to see each other outside of that environment. Then there were a few months of fretting over why she kept calling me and complimenting me and touching me. Now that we've clarified where our feelings stand, we've become very goofy together.]

I'll do everything in my power for a person in my confidence, simply because it never occurs to me not to. But the slightest hint that I need to justify myself, as eccentric as I may be, and I become an iceberg. I expect honesty and transparency and a deep earnestness in everything, because that's what I spend most of my energy trying to offer. And it does take so much energy!

So you can imagine how offended I become when this dedication is questioned, or this unspoken contract of innocence is breached. It's just... icky. And I don't have the leftover energy or wherewithal to deal with it.

Well. That was fairly long again! I think it may clarify a bit of that trademark INTP reticence, though. And it may suggest a few pitfalls to avoid.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

^Profoundly agree with all of that. Especially the energy part.

I wish I could be more tepid, but I only seem to run hot or cold. And hot just takes too much energy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    Gosh, the world looks so small from up here on my high horse of menstruation.

MBTI
    INxx
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

That was pretty awesome Anderack.

I agree with you. I find a unique world view so attractive in a potential partner. But even if someone doesn't stand out as an individual they will still have something to offer, some theory or belief, if you can get them to open up.

I am surprised that you take such care over your appearence when you are not interested in the appearences of others and attracting them. As far as I'm concerned looking good's primary function is to get me sexy times.
    I hope I'm wrong, but I believe that he is a fraud, and I think despite all of his rhetoric about being a champion of the working class, it will turn out to be hollow -- Bernie Sanders on Trump

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by Aderack View Post

There are a few phases, each with its own lessons. I'll try to interrelate them as well as they'll allow. Keep in mind I'm just talking about myself here, but much of this may be more broadly applicable.

I am really, really bewildered when people show attraction to me, especially without obvious reason. This isn't a self-image thing; I'm fond of my appearance, I deliberately dress well, and I know that I'm bright and creative. What I don't get is the attraction thing. It weirds me out, because that's not generally how I look at the world. If a person has a pleasing face or manner, I may notice on some level. Normally I'd have to sit and focus on her to come to a decision, though. And then I'll shrug. Well, that's nice, I'll think.

I'm out to be inspired. As excited as I am when people respond to the ideas I've put a bunch of time and energy into, I'm sent head over heels when someone leads me down a new avenue that I hadn't noticed, leading to either a revelation of my own or a spontaneous revelation on her part, that I can trace and absorb into my own worldview.

For me, social interaction is all about expanding my perspective on the world. Anything, anyone that can give me this, and simultaneously validate my own observations, captures my undivided attention. Ideally, both she and I will become bigger, better, wiser from our interaction.

So it takes a profoundly unusual person -- a person excited by abstract and unusual concepts, and who can relate whatever she learns to her own individually developed perspective about the nature of the world -- to knock me wholly out of reason and caution, in the sense that people typically think about romance. In thirty years only one person has ever done that, and for everything she had going for her, she inadvertently ruined it by raising my self-preservation alarms.

It's not impossible to burrow into my graces, given enough time. Just be there and be sincere for long enough, and affection (if not outright desire) will start to drip out all over. But there are two big walls to get past: a lack of innate romantic compulsion, and a deep sense of skepticism toward others and their potential motivations. Why, I ask, is this person talking to me? What does she want? You have to show me that you aren't just here to use me for something that I can't begin to comprehend.

[Aside: one of my closest friends right now is a girl (ISTP) who works at the cafe around the corner. I've known her since late 2007, but it took us over half a year to formally introduce ourselves -- and then most of the rest of the year to see each other outside of that environment. Then there were a few months of fretting over why she kept calling me and complimenting me and touching me. Now that we've clarified where our feelings stand, we've become very goofy together.]

I'll do everything in my power for a person in my confidence, simply because it never occurs to me not to. But the slightest hint that I need to justify myself, as eccentric as I may be, and I become an iceberg. I expect honesty and transparency and a deep earnestness in everything, because that's what I spend most of my energy trying to offer. And it does take so much energy!

So you can imagine how offended I become when this dedication is questioned, or this unspoken contract of innocence is breached. It's just... icky. And I don't have the leftover energy or wherewithal to deal with it.

Well. That was fairly long again! I think it may clarify a bit of that trademark INTP reticence, though. And it may suggest a few pitfalls to avoid.
    so very cool.
    There can’t be any large-scale revolution until there’s a personal revolution, on an individual level. It’s got to happen inside first.
    -Jim Morrison

I relate to everything you say. Welcome to the forum!

half mystic, half skeksis jenocyde's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTp

Hmm, I'm starting to get you guys. Maybe I'll go and get one of you guys. I've heard good things in that sex thread...

Habitual Fi LineStepper JocktheMotie's Avatar

Very well said Aderack! I agree with pretty much everything! Oh and welcome to the forums.

MBTI
    INTP

Allow me to 95th Aderack's post. Finally someone puts into words the weirdness that is an INTP's attraction barometer.
    Something Witty

Nips away your dignity Fluffywolf's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9 sp/sx

I mostly support Aderacks' post. Ofcourse there's much more to us then just that but those are all arguements I can most definatly relate too!

The only thing I deal with differently is that I don't really feel bewildered at someone being attracted to me. I used to, in school or as a teenager. That said, I don't tend to put much stock in that. And thus usually don't respond to it.

Most girls I do get into, are usually the girls that don't have that awkward attractedness, but where there was a genuine, interesting conversation with first. And after that first non-awkward conversation, I often go "Ohhh.. I really like that girl." and it's not until after that the awkwardness starts ( ).

But some girl getting all mushy and atracted right away, I tend not to get interested in at all.
    ~Self-depricating Megalomaniacal Superwolf

half mystic, half skeksis jenocyde's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTp

^^sounds very ENTP (or at least like me), fluff.