• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[ENTP] Are ENTPs Attention Whores?

substitute

MBTI Type
ENTP
I like the company of people, and when I am with them, I'm mostly focused on them and not what they're thinking of me. Ne is my primary function; it means I think crazy shit, and I think it aloud. This gets attention. I do not crave it, I do not seek it. People merely give it to me, often against my will but more often without my noticing. If this makes me an attention whore, then... fuck you, judgemental twat. Jealous, is it? Gotta think up sour-puss reasons to avoid reflecting that maybe I might just merit it? :D

ajblaise

Minister of Propagandhi
MBTI Type
INTP
I like the company of people, and when I am with them, I'm mostly focused on them and not what they're thinking of me. Ne is my primary function; it means I think crazy shit, and I think it aloud. This gets attention. I do not crave it, I do not seek it. People merely give it to me, often against my will but more often without my noticing. If this makes me an attention whore, then... fuck you, judgemental twat. Jealous, is it? Gotta think up sour-puss reasons to avoid reflecting that maybe I might just merit it? :D

What would happen if you woke up tomorrow and everyone you tried to talk to that day ignored you?

CzeCze

RETIRED
MBTI Type
GONE
I don't find being an attention whore a bad thing if you are good at it. Also, there is a difference in wanting to be in control, to be thought highly of, to be successful, and to be an attention whore.

Attention is a by product of being successful or in control of a situation or being thought highly of, but wanting attention for attention's sake is a different core motivator.

I think ENXPs can definitely be attention whores, but if we go by type it is more artisans and the 'performer' type that would be by nature more attention seeking.

If no for the drive for positive attention, we wouldn't have celebrities, and I for one, like being entertained. :yes:

What is annoying or negative is when this desire outweighs consideration for others, good taste, good judgement, etc. and especially talent or skill.

There are A LOT of comedians (mostly straight white men) on the comedy circuit who fit into the classic attention whore profile and they are NOT funny and really rude and desperate.

Again, I don't mind being entertained but if you are boring or a drag and still demand attention at the sake of others actually enjoying themselves or getting work done, then you have a problem.

substitute

MBTI Type
ENTP
What would happen if you woke up tomorrow and everyone you tried to talk to that day ignored you?

I'd probably think it was pretty amusing, at first, then I might start wondering if it's not a sign that the nation has become more accustomed to awesomeness or just more broad minded, so I can now just be myself without having to keep explaining it or justifying it or just generally being stared at and called a weirdo.

But, I'd be curious about why... I mean, if for example, I said "John, take these keys, you'll need them to get into the shop", and John ignored me and walked off, I'd think "hmm, that's rather... odd behaviour... is John in a self-sabotage mood today?"

But if I said, as I tend to do, thinking aloud to myself really, and waiting to see what the ether bounces back to me, cos that's how I think, "so I wonder if you can actually get from Paris to Prague on foot in two weeks?" and everyone ignored me, I'd look around to see what the vibe is. If it's "we're ignoring you cos we hate you and think you're retarded", then I'd shrug and figure, please yourselves. If it's "we're totally unaware of your presence" I'd think "what, everyone deaf?" or if it's "we're ignoring you cos we're too absorbed in other stuff", I'd think fair enough, at least they're not having a go at me for being weird. Actually, I might not even notice that they're ignoring me, cos I was just thinking aloud, and i'd just carry on my train of thought uninterrupted, though perhaps a little poorer for the lack of external input.

But, moreover, I'd be thinking, "hey, why is the ether not providing me with answers and inspiration? it usually does - is it ill or something? cat got its tongue?"

sculpting

I, also, think crazy shit. Twat? Twat? dude, what the hell? Twat? Tell 1983 to come get it's word back.

Of course you merit attention because you really are a pretty awesome entp. Most of you are pretty awesome actually. and whores. But I mean heh, I like whores. especially shiny colorful attention grabbing Ne whores. Ne-ing your way through each day like wolf cubs I think.

Winds of Thor

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I am somewhat ashamed of this but I've grown to realize that I really thrive on and desire attention from others.
I'm just wondering if this is true for ENTP's in general.

It's not that we're trying to grab attention or steal the limelight..

It's that we think more clearly and efficiently if we can have some interaction because our N is extraverted which means thoughts work 'better' if there are external things (discussion) going on:)

King sns

MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
ENTP's are indeed attention whores.

But very entertaining ones, so it doesn't matter.

simulatedworld

Freshman Member
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Yes; the same is probably true of most ExxPs. For me, at least, life is a constant struggle to ward off boredom. Nothing is scarier than boredom.

Kasper

Diabolical
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Eh. See now its crap like this that type confuses me. INTPs are supposed to be anti-social, ENTPs are supposed to be attention whores, gah! I give up, I'm becoming an ISFP.

wolfy

awsm
Eh. See now its crap like this that type confuses me. INTPs are supposed to be anti-social, ENTPs are supposed to be attention whores, gah! I give up, I'm becoming an ISFP.

Good Idea! That's what I did.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

yeah!! you tell em.:smile:

CzeCze

RETIRED
MBTI Type
GONE
I was thinking about this and the negative connotation of attention whore -- I think it's true some people can be captivating or dynamic or become the center of attention, easily. The problem is when it is not appropriate or thoughtless. For instance, at someone's wedding, it's the couple's day. At someone's anniversary or birthday or retirement party, it's someone else's day. When someone is having a bad day and in the middle of telling people about it, it's their moment.

I think what people may be nagging at 'attention whores' is this insensitivity or disregard for other people's moments? Even when trying to get the party going and thinking about making the mood fun for everyone, you can still unintentionally run over people or make some people feel like you're being "too much" or over stepping bounds (this may sound more like an EXFJ criticism that they are 'bossing' the mood of the group around)

^^
Like classic ENFP sterotype Michael Scott from "The Office"

Also, I think it's true that sometimes ENXPs are not trying to gather attention necessarily, they're just being annoying and acting up. They're Ne has ran away or gone on vacation while their Fe or Fi has having a field day extroverting all over the place.

Having said all that again, I don't mind people actually intentionally being attention whores or a "little much" as long as they are entertaining and do it well. Now, if you're an attention whore and you're bad at it, that's a different story.

G

garbage

This thread's going to reach 12 pages because ENTPs can't stop talking about themselves

Kasper

Diabolical
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
This thread's going to reach 12 pages because ENTPs can't stop talking about themselves

Most people in here aren't ENTPs. This thread will reach 12 pages because you guys can't stop talking about us. S'ok, we know you can't help but give us your attention, love away people, love away :wubbie:

EcK

The Memes Justify the End
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
Can't we just say YES and get it over with ?

(then act all mysterious )

Halla74

Artisan Conquerer
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Aren't most Es attention whores?

I know I can be.

Ummm yeah, me three! ESTP's are pissed if not the center of all action in the room. We cannot tolerate just blending in.

Maybe we all have hystrionic disorder?

:D