• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[INTP] Impressing a (possible) INTP?

Von Mittendorf

MBTI Type
INxP
Enneagram
If he's already impressed with you, just ask him for something. Whatever it is you're hoping to get out of this. If he is indeed an INTP he's not gonna just give you something because he likes you, but if he likes you he'll give you something because you ask. Just continue to be impressive and then plant the seeds of "if you ever need something like this again..." or "you know, I can also..." or whatever it is you want.

Then again I've never really held down an honest job so take this for what its worth.

nozflubber

DoubleplusUngoodNonperson
MBTI Type
Hype
^seeing as the person in question is the CEO of a company, I'd highly suggest you not treat this as some poor shmuck INTP doing any old handijob :p no offense, but this guy's professional position will be a greater determinate of his behavior than the INTP profile will...

If you ask me, he'll want to see knowledge and it's proper placement. Asking him for favors will be like straight up asking an opponent in Risk to give up a city piece unconditionally..... totally illogical as a CEO.

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
If this is a workplace I am guessing you are very knowlegable about the subject at hand. This knowledge is what is impressing him. Its like a challenge to take it farther and to prove himself to you. Your Ne is noticing something that relates(when this happens this also happens) and your Te is causing you to ask questions. His Ti is picking this up and running with it hoping it will impress you. INTPs see knowledge as a way to impress since they are Ti dominant. And your knowledge of the subject impresses him.

ygolo

My termites win
Am I using him? I really just want to know the best way to approach it. If your boss's boss decided they really liked you wouldn't you want to figure out how to use it to your advantage? It seems silly to have this notice of the CEO and not get ahead in some way because of it.

I'm not going to have sex with him or show him anything even though those are great suggestions.

Maybe he just thinks you're good at what you do and wants to keep you on-board. Good people are hard to come by. How big is this company BTW?

I like the suggestion of out-right asking how you can benefit from this. You know, "You seem to have taken a liking to my work. Can I work that into my contract somehow?"

INTPs (and I think most people) generally like honesty and lack of guile.

Laurie

Was E.laur
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
^seeing as the person in question is the CEO of a company, I'd highly suggest you not treat this as some poor shmuck INTP doing any old handijob :p no offense, but this guy's professional position will be a greater determinate of his behavior than the INTP profile will...

If you ask me, he'll want to see knowledge and it's proper placement. Asking him for favors will be like straight up asking an opponent in Risk to give up a city piece unconditionally..... totally illogical as a CEO.

Yes, this is exactly what I'm running into. It should be helpful to have the attention but I can't figure out a way too utilize it.

I'm a lowly contractor so I'm not in a position to interact with him other than as a normal member since I work with his underlings when I'm doing contract work.

It is interesting in that the times I try directly interacting with him I don't get the desired response I would expect but I know for certain that I have his attention.
This is probably the CEO thing like noz said.

ed111

MBTI Type
INTJ
So I have a slightly bizarre situation. I contract for a small online company with a ceo I think is INTP. I have ended up getting to the point where he wants to impress me, if I post something in their member forums asking for something the CEO himself will end up working on my idea. As obvious as this is from outside the company I do have this confirmed from inside the company too.

First of all, what exactly is going on here? What is this from the INTP's personality that is causing it.

Second of all, I need to figure out a way to get this working for me. A job? More contracts? I'm not even sure how involved he is in those things on a day to day basis but I know he doesn have a lot of say in every day workings when he feels like it

Any ideas?

I don't know, but whatever you do, do it stealthily. INTPs hate being manipulated.

Tallulah

Emerging
MBTI Type
INTP
I don't know, but whatever you do, do it stealthily. INTPs hate being manipulated.

This is all I'm saying. If it were me, I wouldn't respond to someone sidling up to me and trying to work the friendship for all it's worth. However, if I naturally like you and think you're smart, I'll probably reward you when I get the chance anyway. The more someone pushes it, though, the less I want to give them what they want. Remember, INTPs like to make their own decisions. If they sense they're being manipulated, you've probably destroyed your goodwill.

It probably wouldn't hurt to mention other skills you have, just on a, "Hey, if you ever need someone to do x, will you please keep me in mind?" basis.

ThatsWhatHeSaid

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
This. But I will tell you that it kind of raises my INTP hackles that it sounds like you're asking for advice in order to use him.

I agree.

A good worker is a good worker and will get rewarded regardless of their boss's type. The INTP aspect, to me, is more relevant in that he would be more resistant to people trying to take advantage of him. There's a different between taking an advantage of an opportunity (respectable) and taking advantage of a person (reprehensible). The language you used in your post makes it sound like you're flirting with the latter, which is what Tallulah is accurately observing. Not to say you're a bad person, but it sounds like you're seeing this from a selfish, exploitative angle/frame. That frame, if detected, can work against you.

So it's back to what we said before, just do your work and make yourself available. Be honest and genuine and dedicated to the company's vision and you should be solid.

Last edited:

Kaizer

sophiloist
MBTI Type
INTp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Maybe he just thinks you're good at what you do and wants to keep you on-board. Good people are hard to come by. How big is this company BTW?

I like the suggestion of out-right asking how you can benefit from this. You know, "You seem to have taken a liking to my work. Can I work that into my contract somehow?"

INTPs (and I think most people) generally like honesty and lack of guile.

agreed, esp the bit about good ppl being tough to come by and competence being valued as well as honesty trumping all else.

you might just be dealing with having the possibility of a good opportunity, in one or more ways, knocking at your door so to say.

If you're enjoying it, I'd say indulge and do what you do the best way you do it and you're likely to have a low chance of a downside to it coming about.

Von Mittendorf

MBTI Type
INxP
Enneagram
Yeah, so clearly I don't know what I'm talking about.

but listen to these other folks, they seem to have their shit together.