• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[INTP] The Official INTP Haters' Thread

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Fair enough. I assume you will be ok if I start an ENFP haters thread, then? Actually, I don't have the energy. Anyway, I'm bowing out. Sorry to remind you of your ex.

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Fair enough. I assume you will be ok if I start an ENFP haters thread, then? Actually, I don't have the energy. Anyway, I'm bowing out. Sorry to remind you of your ex.

You don't. I've never dated an INTP, though I've had the offer and was tempted - and that was another assumption *sigh*. And I'm fine with you starting that thread, but I think you can just dig one up from the archives :)

W

WALMART

OK, but is that loop and the cycle the same thing?

Yes. I don't like the concept, personally. It presupposes the system in question is closed (loop, cycle, etc), when in reality, someone could be a very well functioning human being that displays traits equally of both Ti and Si, moreso than any other functional type.

Evo

Unapologetic being
MBTI Type
XNTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I have heard some INTP's say "I have so much anger and plans to conquer the world, but am too lazy to ever act on it."

I wish they'd delegate then :devil:

:laugh: j/k people j/k

mhc

MBTI Type
INtP
Meant to be? By what or whom? I don't need self-acceptance, at this point, and it gets kind of tiresome to hear that. As though behavior and personal efforts don't count for anything, and don't impact anything, least of all yourself. Nothing I have observed suggests that this is the case.

If you don't mind me asking, are you in your early twenties?

I learned to take life with a pinch of salt a while back, sorry if my style of humour invoked at the time of that post offended you. Also, if one is easily offended, i would argue that they maybe they need more self acceptance. you could argue against that, however the proof is in the pudding, life does not throw people at you that will always be of the type to not offend or hurt you, and ultimately, i think it is better to feel something like happiness than miserable or sad

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I learned to take life with a pinch of salt a while back, sorry if my style of humour invoked at the time of that post offended you. Also, if one is easily offended, i would argue that they maybe they need more self acceptance. you could argue against that, however the proof is in the pudding, life does not throw people at you that will always be of the type to not offend or hurt you, and ultimately, i think it is better to feel something like happiness than miserable or sad

I wasn't offended. Not by that, anyway. It's just that... sometimes people do stupid shit that doesn't help them or anyone else... if they can change it and stop doing that, they should. Self-acceptance sounds really nice, but sometimes it's not what's needed in some situations.

If you're talking about "self love" that's different. "love" and "acceptance" are two different things.

mhc

MBTI Type
INtP
I wasn't offended. Not by that, anyway. It's just that... sometimes people do stupid shit that doesn't help them or anyone else... if they can change it and stop doing that, they should. Self-acceptance sounds really nice, but sometimes it's not what's needed in some situations.

If you're talking about "self love" that's different. "love" and "acceptance" are two different things.

i was talking about the type of self acceptance you refer to when you said "Self-acceptance sounds really nice". also you raise some good points, which could be agreed upon in the right context.

fyrinx

MBTI Type
TiFe
I hate INTPs because they're unoriginal and copy INTJs.

Appears you do not understand MBTI nor the cognitive functions. FYI the J/P letter in the MBTI type might be the letter that has the greatest impact on personality types.

Misty_Mountain_Rose

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
4w5
Sometimes INTPs are open-minded, but sometimes when people contradict their argument it simply pisses them off terribly because they have figured out something so thoroughly in their head and therefore are too convinced of their rightness.

I've witnessed this. It's like once they have the whole idea figured out there isn't room left for improvement, especially if it's something they've spent a great deal of time on. The conversation can dissolve into disgusted head shaking and emphatic questioning to lead you down the path to their conclusion, if they haven't begun to stare at you yet with the "Why aren't you getting this?" eyes. The ones I know are good at asking pointed questions of me and my stance on something... maybe to get me to see their point, but maybe sometimes to see if I have a different answer from what they came up with. I think sometimes I might actually bring up something they hadn't yet considered, but they won't admit it come hell or high water, so I can only wonder if that's the case. I suspect that when they stop talking it's because all the gears in their heads have suddenly come alive with the new perspective, and so I consider it a win. :newwink:

INTPs aren't as logical as they idealize themselves to be, especially when they have a very underdeveloped Fi gnawing and threatening to burst. This depends a lot on the maturity of the INTP in question.

I don't think I've known any young INTPs, but it would be really nice to meet one who has developed the inferior F. I don't even know what that would look like or how it would be accomplished... it's like telling an INTJ to develop the Se. It's so foreign to me I wouldn't know where to begin... :shrug: it's just there and must have SOME impact on me. If the Fi is the same for INTP's then it makes me really glad that the F isn't my most retarded function. The few times I've let the Se run loose were very uncomfortable for me and didn't end well... and I can look back on it and say with certainty that I think I hate it. It's scary and unnatural. I can't imaging living life where the Feeling function is that foreign.

I hate INTPs because they're just too damn stupid at picking up non-verbal cues.

+1000

I hate INTP's because they neither pay attention to nor care to remember the things that make life possible. If the world were populated solely by INTP's everyone would die exposure, dehydration, or starvation in short order.

:rotfl: This can't possibly be true... the manage to keep themselves alive, somehow.

It's much more fun when you guys are still pondering a new theory...

I agree. I'd rather go through the discovery phase with them and discuss the possibilities than go into the conversation after they've already arrived at all their conclusions. It isn't a conversation at that point, but more of a fight to defend my own thoughts as they happen in real-time and I don't yet know if I'll need to change my mind. I feel led along down the road they took rather than being able to see something the way I usually would on my own in it's giant network of possibilities. It hinders creativity. :cheese:

Appears you do not understand MBTI nor the cognitive functions. FYI the J/P letter in the MBTI type might be the letter that has the greatest impact on personality types.

Why do you say that? I suppose in the way that it's the 'action' piece, maybe it's more obvious, but I'm not sure it's so easy to gauge impact.

fghw

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Why do you say that? I suppose in the way that it's the 'action' piece, maybe it's more obvious, but I'm not sure it's so easy to gauge impact.

Well an INTP and an INTJ don't have any common functions. An INTP and an INFP or ISTP would have two common functions and an INTP and an ENTP have all common functions. So there is no real similarity between the J/P variation of any type except perhaps at first glance. Take the ISTP and ISTJ for example, or the ENTP and ENTJ.

lecky

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Not sure why one would hate an INTP, they are usually pretty easy going unless they get all pedantic on you. That's when you walk away.

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

Geonat

They can also be unreliable and forgetful.

Then there's this:

Sexism doesn't look good on any type, INTPs no exception.

For the record: I don't hate INTPs. Nor do I hate women. Te though may be the potentially most evil instrument I can think of. But that's just probably because of PoLR Te.

Alea_iacta_est

For the record: I don't hate INTPs. Nor do I hate women. Te though may be the potentially most evil instrument I can think of. But that's just probably because of PoLR Te.

Fear the data, lol.

Also, the INFp Sociotype has PoLR Te, not the INFj.

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
What is PoLR - not "Proportional Odds Logistic Regression", I assume? Te is a particularly effective instrument, especially when working well in combination with other functions. What this means is its influence can be significant - for good or for ill.

I don't hate INTPs as a rule either (my SO is one), but it is interesting to note what makes me dislike people of different types when I do dislike them. Do you find INTPs to be more sexist than other types?

Geonat

What is PoLR - not "Proportional Odds Logistic Regression", I assume? Te is a particularly effective instrument, especially when working well in combination with other functions. What this means is its influence can be significant - for good or for ill.

I don't hate INTPs as a rule either (my SO is one), but it is interesting to note what makes me dislike people of different types when I do dislike them. Do you find INTPs to be more sexist than other types?

Haha, no I've understood that it stands for "Point of Least Resistance", equivalent to Beebe's Trickster. But [MENTION=20385]Alea_iacta_est[/MENTION] is more qualified to answer this. One of my current colleagues makes jokes a la the poster on a daily basis, but in a very innocent and funny way - he is one of the most caring and friendly person I can think of. He's also one of the persons that would respond to the question "do you love or hate women?" with a "yes", which is a hilarious joke re the logical OR definition. I wouldn't want to take that away from him, nor does any of my colleagues (both women and men)