User Tag List

First 12345 Last

Quote Originally Posted by entropie View Post

That girl I am talking about is generally considered a hardcore lesbian, though she is just a very practical rational ISTJ / INTJ or INTP maybe. She ia having a hard timeabout that, I am just trying to find a solution to the problem, because it is a problem to her.
    Tell her to connect with the boyz through stories of the little man in the boat...or, the old man and the sea. Whatever her proclivities.

MBTI
    ENTP

I always showed feminist tendencies as a child, and started identifying as one when I was about 17 years old. Now, I've studied Feminist Jurisprudence and plan to specialize in Women and Law.

Women do have equal rights with men in a legal sense, it is true. But that is purely formal equality, and does not address a lot of issues still prevalant today. I do believe that sexism still exists today, in Western society as well. (Living in India, of course, exposes me to a lot more problems that women face)

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by bluebell View Post
    One thing I dislike these days is people making a fuss over gender if someone happens to be in a field that's dominated by the other gender. IMO, it's counterproductive and annoying to highlight it.
    While I agree with this, I nevertheless found myself suddenly and unwillingly conscious of my gender as I took the floor for the first time at my new workplace yesterday before an audience of 9 men. I found myself telling myself that it was not my problem if anyone there would be judging the potential of all women on the basis of my performance and that I should hold myself to the standard that is right for me (which is better than some of the men, but not as good as the best of them) without embarrassment. I am actually optimistic that I will be judged fairly - at least so long as I myself do not take my gender into the equation, Sarah Palin-style :rolli: - but I guess time will tell.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    512 sp/so

Yes, I am a feminist but it wasn't a conscious decision. Do I believe in self-determination by women? Do I believe in equality and choice? Yes. Do I label myself a "feminist"? Not really. Most of the time, people believe that I am "a feminist" because of the way that I dress and my outspoken personality (i.e. I am not afraid to make people angry with my views).

Last week this guy from Israel came into our research institute and refused to shake hands with any women because they were women. Some people were like "omg, misogynist" and got all angry. I shrugged and said, "I wouldn't shake hands with him anyway, he's a Jew". *smirks*

So yes, I am feminist by virtue of my beliefs, but not bra-burningly so.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Economica View Post
    While I agree with this, I nevertheless found myself suddenly and unwillingly conscious of my gender as I took the floor for the first time at my new workplace yesterday before an audience of 9 men. I found myself telling myself that it was not my problem if anyone there would be judging the potential of all women on the basis of my performance and that I should hold myself to the standard that is right for me (which is better than some of the men, but not as good as the best of them) without embarrassment. I am actually optimistic that I will be judged fairly - at least so long as I myself do not take my gender into the equation, Sarah Palin-style :rolli: - but I guess time will tell.
    My workplace is about 50:50 in terms of gender balance. However, I'm usually the only female at the meetings I go to and usually one of several females at conferences. I think the trick is to just ignore it all and do your job. I've never had trouble being given respect.

I've had the occasional patronising colleague. I tend to just freeze them out and refuse to play their game.
    ...so much smoke pouring out of each chromosome.

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by nonsequitur View Post
    Last week this guy from Israel came into our research institute and refused to shake hands with any women because they were women. Some people were like "omg, misogynist" and got all angry. I shrugged and said, "I wouldn't shake hands with him anyway, he's a Jew". *smirks*

So yes, I am feminist by virtue of my beliefs, but not bra-burningly so.
    It's cultural. Some cultures believe that men should not have physical contact with any woman who is not their close relative/wife. Admittedly, they do tend to be misogynistic, but it has nothing to do with that man in particular - In his view, he was being respectful to the women present there.

You can be a feminist and not be a bra-burner... In fact, bras can be very practical items, and would thus be feminist.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

It's always dismaying to me to see women say things like "Of course I believe [X/Y/Z basic feminist ideas] but I don't consider myself a feminist." It seems as if a big-time hoodwinking has gone on to convince people that feminist = hairy, ugly, man-hating, repressed, humorless, frigid, etc. etc.
    The one who buggers a fire burns his penis
    -anonymous graffiti in the basilica at Pompeii

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram

You said it, Ivy. I find people who fall for the stereotypes of feminism (man-hating, bra-burning, etc) to be severely uniformed and too damn lazy to do research. Not to mention of course, selfishly entitled to the rights that women before them have struggled to gain.

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9

Quote Originally Posted by edel weiss View Post
    Now, I've studied Feminist Jurisprudence and plan to specialize in Women and Law.

Women do have equal rights with men in a legal sense, it is true.
    Now how does it progress equality in legal sense, if women have their own law studies?

I have always seen feminism to be counter-productive method of striding towards equality. Come on, how does it bring equality if you only just try to equalize the other side? It's like world's super powers chasing world peace by means of arms race.

Then again, I live in Finland, which is a pioneer in the field of gender equality. My views may not apply to your world.
    "The present is theirs; the future, for which I have really worked, is mine."
    -Nikola Tesla

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by bluemonday View Post
    There are a lot of negative connotations associated with that word so you may find that NT women, usually outspoken, independent and indifferent to popular opinion are more willing to accept the label than other types. But really, are there any educated women who believe that equal rights for women are not desirable? That might be a more interesting question.
    Indeed; I would ask, who among us is not a feminist? All it means is advocate of equal legal rights for women. That's like asking who's an abolitionist.

Unfortunately, there does exist out there in the big cruel world a group that takes a universally positive message ("gender equality is cool!") and twists it into hate speech ("female supremacy ftw!").

For examples, see the wildly overrated Cunt by Inga Muscio. Examples of egregious anti-male bigotry abound, but it's all wrapped up in conveniently placating pro-woman empowerment language, so stupid shitheads with no realistic conceptions of sex or gender worldwide lap it up like sour milk served to a starving cat.

"White middle-class girls at the elite colleges and universities seem to want the world handed to them on a platter. They have been sheltered, coddled, and flattered. Having taught at a wide variety of institutions over my ill-starred career, I have observed that working-class or lower-middle-class girls, who are from financially struggling families and who must take a patchwork of menial off-campus jobs to stay in school, are usually the least hospitable to feminist rhetoric. They see life as it is and have fewer illusions about sex. It is affluent, upper-middle class students who most spout the party line - as if the grisly hyperemotionalism of feminist jargon satisfies their hunger for meaningful experience outside their eventless upbringing. In the absence of war, invent one."
    --Camille Paglia
    If you could be anything you want, I bet you'd be disappointed--am I right?