User Tag List

First 12345 Last

Thread: NT music

MBTI
    INTP

My favorite band, bar none, is Rush.

I do also like Foxy Shazam (though no one knows who they are... yet), System of a Down, Daft Punk, The Flaming Lips, Nine Inch Nails, Yoko Kanno... and a lot more. I do like some power/speed metal, but I've started to kind of grow bored of it as it all seems to sound the same. The stuff I like tends to be multi-layered, though this isn't always the case. But I don't get tired of complex music nearly as quickly as other stuff.
    Hands in the air, it's a robbery.

FigerPuppet

Felt like posting in this thread after seeing the "sensor music"-thread.

I usually judge by a song-by-song basis, but I sometimes stumble upon albums containing only good songs - the most recent one being Viva la Vida or Death and All His Friends by Coldplay

Here's my favourite song by Coldplay:
    YouTube - Coldplay - Life In Technicolor ii (HD)

Genres I like:
    • Alternative (Muse, Coldplay)
    • Classical (From Beethoven and Bach to Hans Zimmer and James Newton Howard)
    • Electronica (BT)
    • House music
    • Psychedelic trance (Infected Mushroom)

Genres I dislike:
    • Hardstyle
    • Death metal/Satanic metal/Grindcore/Every sub-genre of metal where growling/screaming or playing like you're having a seizure is a requirement fucking sucks.
    • Rap (I do not listen to the lyrics)
    • Pop (High School Musical )
    • R&B

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    SLE

I said this in another thread, but I like melancholy, atmospheric music that has individualistic use of vocals and instrumentation. Stuff like Bjork or Sigur Ros. I like for my music to be really emotional (but not sentimental or sugary).
    Artes, Scientia, Veritasiness

Quote Originally Posted by Orangey View Post
    I said this in another thread, but I like melancholy, atmospheric music that has individualistic use of vocals and instrumentation. Stuff like Bjork or Sigur Ros. I like for my music to be really emotional (but not sentimental or sugary).
    Wooooooot.
    "The purpose of life is to be defeated by greater and greater things." - Rainer Maria Rilke

It seems my music tastes seem to fall in same the areas as you Ns. Ambient and Trance to stuff like Tool and Karnivool. Anything with a dark atmosphere is the best i can explain it. Everything except country and rap. I like music to have an intense emotion, whatever it may be, and multilayered. If anyone has heard Change Pt 1 by Karnivool, thats what im talking about.

Oh and i better advertise while im here. Elation Theory <- My band if anyone's interested.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Quite odd that I have developed a love of music from the 60's and 70's. My favorite artist(s) are James Taylor Carole King and Jimi Hendrix. I like a bunch of others just those are my favorite.

Minister of Propagandhi ajblaise's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Orangey View Post
    Staralfur and Glosoli are two of my favorite songs ever, the beginning of Staralfur gives me chills every time. Do you like My Bloody Valentine or Godspeed You! Black Emperor or any other shoegazing stuff?

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    SLE

Quote Originally Posted by ajblaise View Post
    Staralfur and Glosoli are two of my favorite songs ever, the beginning of Staralfur gives me chills every time. Do you like My Bloody Valentine or Godspeed You! Black Emperor or any other shoegazing stuff?
    Didn't catch this post. I absolutely love Staralfur, but my favorite is Gong (and that EP he did...Ba Ba Ti Ki Di Do). I've not really listened to My Bloody Valentine, but I do like Godspeed You! Black Emperor. Other stuff that I think falls into the genre you mentioned (that I like) are Broken Social Scene, Silversun Pickups (a little), The Jesus and Mary Chain, and some others that I can't think of at the moment.

Also, some techno-ish stuff like Boards of Canada.
    Artes, Scientia, Veritasiness

Nips away your dignity Fluffywolf's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9 sp/sx

Mostly trance, classical influence, etc. But I enjoy many songs from many different types of music.

Basicly all kinds of music with build ups and releases.

Songs that chill my spine are best of all.
    ~Self-depricating Megalomaniacal Superwolf

videodrones; questions Verfremdungseffekt's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTp
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    Eh?

Pretty much anything deliberate, with something to say.

As far as pop goes, I've noticed that the post-punk and new wave era is pretty much home base for me. Most of the artists I like, either they come (rhetorically) straight out of CBGB's or they're heavily influenced by the acts of that period. Straight line from there to Nine Inch Nails, for instance.

Bizarrely, you can say the same of REM -- which I don't so much listen to anymore, though it's the first band I really got into. If they'd stopped around Fables of the Reconstruction, people would be calling them the American Joy Division.