• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NT] INTP or J??

Azseroffs

MBTI Type
ENTj
Enneagram
5w4
I'm not entirely sure if I'm INTP or INTJ

What are the major differences between the two?

nanook

a scream in a vortex
which is which depends on believe systems.

but what i find most notable is that one of them likes open (eternal) leaning processes and the other one likes implementation of quick practical solutions (or gaining of multiple skills). something clear and objective. even power, like power over a pirate bay server farm. (that example is just stupid fantasy, also pirate bay is an eternal process as well, thus appealing to the other type).

the later would rather be book oriented, studding something given, like scriptures of religions, all details of it, the former would rather use them as inspiration and go on to something weird ...

DigitalMethod

Content. Content?
MBTI Type
INTJ
Vast!
Ni-Te-Fi and Ti-Ne-Si.

Study the functions and it becomes very clear.

Azseroffs

MBTI Type
ENTj
Enneagram
5w4
Vast!
Ni-Te-Fi and Ti-Ne-Si.

Study the functions and it becomes very clear.

Its still hard to tell

Theres no doubt that I am an NT, but trying to figure out whether I'm Ni Ne Te or Ti is kinda confusing

I think there might be some confusion on E/I too which just further complicates things.

ENTJ - Te-Ni
INTP - Ti-Ne
INTJ - Ni-Te
ENTP - Ne-Ti

I cant really see a tertiary trait in myself, and all the tests i take show mixed results. :doh:

DigitalMethod

Content. Content?
MBTI Type
INTJ
I think the first step would be in figuring out if it's Te or Ti.

nanook

a scream in a vortex
well its just me, but i believe that you should not care about anything tertiary. i believe no one can see a tertiary thing in him self, or , to put it differently, if you look out for something tertiary you might as well find just anything. how about your mother? or inner child? yes, there is actually a function in socionics, thats called witch or something like that. there are 2x4=8 functions and 16 types. two functions are relevant. the rest is speculation. fun :D

Azseroffs

MBTI Type
ENTj
Enneagram
5w4
yeah I agree.

I haven't been able to see much of a tertiary function in anyone I know. But then again im only 19 and supposedly it becomes pronounced at a later age.

DigitalMethod

Content. Content?
MBTI Type
INTJ
Tertiary function is relaxing.
Although it is not something most people are comfortable with using (later in life though it usually is).
That's why usually only loved ones and those close to us are able to see us using it. Because that is a comfortable atmosphere to use it in - alone, or in the company of loved ones.

nanook

a scream in a vortex
when i am thinking "intj" i am thinking of jan michael vincent, the airwolf pilot. such ambitious fighters are the men of steel who dare to correct my typos! some of them may think of themselves as being social phobic, but they are never really too insecure, to insist on their place in a line or to trade something in exchange, ask for their money back. after all they know what is "right"! they may be insecure because they know, they are awkward in more personal matters, especially too awkward to flirt. if inexperienced*. but even then: once someone has communicated clear boundaries to them, they will not hesitate to approach social games with the most emotional types. its just like chess, if you know the rules. also jill hennessy (crossing jordan) comes to mind.

is this about what you guys in this forum think of, when you hear intj?

(i am deliberately not saying anything about functions, here)

i am just wondering, how much of a common ground we have ....

*(obviously Jan-Michael is a womanizer)

SurlyAdam

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5w4
The most apparent difference I've found is the need for order (INTJ) and the need for freedom (INTP).

On the Meyer-Briggs test, there is one question pointing to a critical difference: "You believe the best decision is one that can be easily changed." An INTJ would answer No, believing they have made the right decision, whereas an INTP would answer Yes, preferring options.

I had an INTP girlfriend and we were extremely similar in our interests and views on the world, but we were exact opposites when it came to day to day living and how we got things done. I could plan years ahead and create a very exacting path, confident that I am right. She couldn't even comprehend where she'd be in 5 minutes from now and it didn't bother her a bit.

G

garbage

On the Meyer-Briggs test, there is one question pointing to a critical difference: "You believe the best decision is one that can be easily changed." An INTJ would answer No, believing they have made the right decision, whereas an INTP would answer Yes, preferring options.

I've never understood this question. Wouldn't one always want the capacity to change their mind if new information to the contrary arrives, no matter how certain they are of their decision? Even if they are 100% confident, what's the harm in allowing the freedom to change their mind later on?

oh god i might just be a p ;)

nanook

a scream in a vortex
i figure intj are very comfortable with definitions, living like all of live is defined, "live on your own terms" thus you want to stick with your definitions. a decision is not related to information, but to will. where do you want to go today? in a scientific live it may be about style (methodology, its systematic ...) but lets not forget that most NTs are not scientists but humans, living a life, a career.

of course this will-full approach can not be true for all situations (in an intj's live). but someone who is ambitious and makes a lot of manifestations of will (decisions), will probably think of them first, if asked in a test. someone who makes most decisions depending on something objective=called "extroverted" (i am thinking NiTe = intp) will ask for flexibility, as creative Ni always get's a new impression of the objective points of information. it is always growing.

so of course entj are more like socionic intp, than intj.

but if you stick with mbti ...:huh:

Last edited:

Kalach

Filthy Apes!
MBTI Type
INTJ
I've never understood this question. Wouldn't one always want the capacity to change their mind if new information to the contrary arrives, no matter how certain they are of their decision? Even if they are 100% confident, what's the harm in allowing the freedom to change their mind later on?

oh god i might just be a p ;)

I'm going to make up an answer to this.

ENTJs extravert S much more substantially than do INTJs, so present moment stuff, being in the moment and acting then, is much more a part of who you are, so decisions can be changed on the fly. (But only, I guess, if Te/Ni agrees, so you're a Te J and not an Se P.)

INTJs... um... by and large make decisions about the world as it is seen inside the gigantic Ni we have, and not so much based on what Se is feeding us at the moment.

I just made that up. :hi:

"?"

MBTI Type
TiSe
I'm not entirely sure if I'm INTP or INTJ. What are the major differences between the two?
I am comfortable with Linda V. Berens and Dario Nardi’s interaction styles that will make this distinction to be quite easy. I have a former supervisor that is clearly INTP. He fits all of the core values of someone interacting behind the scenes.

The INTJ will have a “Chart the Course” interaction style that entails a course of action to follow.
People of this style focus on knowing what to do and keeping themselves, the group, or the project on track. They prefer to enter a situation having an idea of what is to happen. They identify a process to accomplish a goal and have a somewhat contained tension as they work to create and monitor a plan. The aim is not the plan itself, but to use it as a guide to move things along toward the goal. Their informed and deliberate decisions are based on analyzing, outlining, conceptualizing or foreseeing what needs to be done.
The INTP will have a “Behind the Scenes” interaction style that entails getting the best result possible.
People of this style focus on understanding and working with the process to create a positive outcome. They see value in many contributions and consult outside inputs to make an informed decision. They aim to integrate various information sources and accommodate differing points of view. They approach others with a quiet, calm style that may not show their strong convictions. Producing, sustaining, defining, and clarifying are all ways they support a group's process. They typically have more patience than most with the time it takes to gain support through consensus for a project or to refine the result.
Berens/Nardi does offer a caveat that due to social expectations males may appear more directive and females informative which could confuse the person.

ed111

MBTI Type
INTJ
The most apparent difference I've found is the need for order (INTJ) and the need for freedom (INTP).

I've always answered yes to this question. I'd want to have options in case one path proved problematic.

Siegfried

MBTI Type
?
I've always answered yes to this question. I'd want to have options in case one path proved problematic.

Hmm, thats an interesting point. On the surface one could say INTJs would take the decision to not change, due to J, but there are relative contexts. Internally INTJs contemplate various potential variables due to Ni, Te is more externally orientated, sometimes it can be hard for the MBTI online to take these various angles into account, due to the multiple choice nature of the questions.

"?"

MBTI Type
TiSe
Yet, I am always ambivalent in responding to that question because I don't like change for it's own sake. I know the question is suppose to lead to J/P distinction, but I think it's a poorly written since STPs could answer this the same as NTJs. Similarly STPs may confuse a need for immediate response and impact with wanting closure, another J/P distinction.