User Tag List

First 12

Thread: INTP or J??

garbage

Quote Originally Posted by SurlyAdam View Post
    On the Meyer-Briggs test, there is one question pointing to a critical difference: "You believe the best decision is one that can be easily changed." An INTJ would answer No, believing they have made the right decision, whereas an INTP would answer Yes, preferring options.
    I've never understood this question. Wouldn't one always want the capacity to change their mind if new information to the contrary arrives, no matter how certain they are of their decision? Even if they are 100% confident, what's the harm in allowing the freedom to change their mind later on?

oh god i might just be a p

i figure intj are very comfortable with definitions, living like all of live is defined, "live on your own terms" thus you want to stick with your definitions. a decision is not related to information, but to will. where do you want to go today? in a scientific live it may be about style (methodology, its systematic ...) but lets not forget that most NTs are not scientists but humans, living a life, a career.

of course this will-full approach can not be true for all situations (in an intj's live). but someone who is ambitious and makes a lot of manifestations of will (decisions), will probably think of them first, if asked in a test. someone who makes most decisions depending on something objective=called "extroverted" (i am thinking NiTe = intp) will ask for flexibility, as creative Ni always get's a new impression of the objective points of information. it is always growing.

so of course entj are more like socionic intp, than intj.

but if you stick with mbti ...
    Last edited by nanook; 02-24-2009 at 10:08 AM. Reason: me and my fucking spellchecker

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by greed View Post
    I've never understood this question. Wouldn't one always want the capacity to change their mind if new information to the contrary arrives, no matter how certain they are of their decision? Even if they are 100% confident, what's the harm in allowing the freedom to change their mind later on?

oh god i might just be a p
    I'm going to make up an answer to this.

ENTJs extravert S much more substantially than do INTJs, so present moment stuff, being in the moment and acting then, is much more a part of who you are, so decisions can be changed on the fly. (But only, I guess, if Te/Ni agrees, so you're a Te J and not an Se P.)

INTJs... um... by and large make decisions about the world as it is seen inside the gigantic Ni we have, and not so much based on what Se is feeding us at the moment.

I just made that up.

MBTI
    TiSe

Quote Originally Posted by SforzaRS View Post
    I'm not entirely sure if I'm INTP or INTJ. What are the major differences between the two?
    I am comfortable with Linda V. Berens and Dario Nardis interaction styles that will make this distinction to be quite easy. I have a former supervisor that is clearly INTP. He fits all of the core values of someone interacting behind the scenes.

The INTJ will have a Chart the Course interaction style that entails a course of action to follow.
    People of this style focus on knowing what to do and keeping themselves, the group, or the project on track. They prefer to enter a situation having an idea of what is to happen. They identify a process to accomplish a goal and have a somewhat contained tension as they work to create and monitor a plan. The aim is not the plan itself, but to use it as a guide to move things along toward the goal. Their informed and deliberate decisions are based on analyzing, outlining, conceptualizing or foreseeing what needs to be done.
    The INTP will have a Behind the Scenes interaction style that entails getting the best result possible.
    People of this style focus on understanding and working with the process to create a positive outcome. They see value in many contributions and consult outside inputs to make an informed decision. They aim to integrate various information sources and accommodate differing points of view. They approach others with a quiet, calm style that may not show their strong convictions. Producing, sustaining, defining, and clarifying are all ways they support a group's process. They typically have more patience than most with the time it takes to gain support through consensus for a project or to refine the result.
    Berens/Nardi does offer a caveat that due to social expectations males may appear more directive and females informative which could confuse the person.

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by SurlyAdam View Post
    The most apparent difference I've found is the need for order (INTJ) and the need for freedom (INTP).

On the Meyer-Briggs test, there is one question pointing to a critical difference: "You believe the best decision is one that can be easily changed." An INTJ would answer No, believing they have made the right decision, whereas an INTP would answer Yes, preferring options.
    I've always answered yes to this question. I'd want to have options in case one path proved problematic.

MBTI
    ?

Quote Originally Posted by ed111 View Post
    I've always answered yes to this question. I'd want to have options in case one path proved problematic.
    Hmm, thats an interesting point. On the surface one could say INTJs would take the decision to not change, due to J, but there are relative contexts. Internally INTJs contemplate various potential variables due to Ni, Te is more externally orientated, sometimes it can be hard for the MBTI online to take these various angles into account, due to the multiple choice nature of the questions.

MBTI
    TiSe

Quote Originally Posted by ed111 View Post
    Yet, I am always ambivalent in responding to that question because I don't like change for it's own sake. I know the question is suppose to lead to J/P distinction, but I think it's a poorly written since STPs could answer this the same as NTJs. Similarly STPs may confuse a need for immediate response and impact with wanting closure, another J/P distinction.