• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[ENTP] Is the neighborhood pariah an ENTP?

Jwill

MBTI Type
INTJ
So, there's this guy who lives in the same town as me in Japan. Since he's one of only a few native-English speakers in the town, we sometimes hang out. There are about five other towns in my area, and I know most of the young foreigners there, too. Anyway, almost everyone in the area HATES this guy's guts. A few of us try to get along with him (since we know how lonely it can be when you're along in a foreign country), but everyone else wants to rip the guy's throat out. I know, because that was my initial reaction to him.

Anyway, I was trying to type the guy, but I can't decide on what he is, although I think he's an NT, perhaps ENTP. Here are some of his traits:
opinionated, uses dramatic big words, insensitive to others' feelings, extremely knowledgeable about a wide variety of subjects, likes to explore/get lost, incredibly talkative (his nick-name is Mr. Loquacious), brags a lot, esoteric, confident, snide to anyone with opposite views, and argumentative.

He seems to have a huge thirst for knowledge, and he seems pretty comfortable being thrown into new situations. He knows more about the area than people who have lived here 4 years, but he's only been here a few months. Therefore, I think T and P. Still, he's also really opinionated and stubborn.

Then, he loves to hear himself talk, which is one of the reasons people seems to hate him. In big groups he dominates the discussion, usually with something nitpicky and self-promoting. In small groups, it's easier to step in to the conversation and interrupt him. E or I?

The guy really lacks tack and is always accidentally insulting people. Is this an S function more than an N one? I just can't see this guy being an SP or even an SJ.

I had a small argument with the guy over semantics recently. We were arguing about whether there is a catch-all term for protective suits like bunny suits and hazmat suits. My argument was that I didn't care to distinguish between them in my day to day life (I'm an English teacher, for Pete's sake!) His response was that he always tries to be as specific and correct in speech as possible, no matter how offensive someone else may take it. Very NTP, I think. I said that I'd rather generalize and move on to something else. Very INTJ. I like overview, he likes details.

Anyway, I mostly get along with the guy (because I only see him very sparingly). When lacking a conversation piece, I ask him for information about something obscure. I'm morbidly curious to hear some of his strange opinions and ideas.

Tell me what you think. Have you ever met an ENTP gone wrong? Did I type him wrong?

tinkerbell

MBTI Type
ENTP
The S N thing is usually quite obvious - is he a conceptual person, or do you need to explain the details. The detail thing may be S but he does sound N typed

I would wonder on if he is a J type - they do all the above stuff too. ENTPs usually keep most people on board I think... although non ENTPs might dissagree :)

Lis

Winds of Thor

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
So, there's this guy who lives in the same town as me in Japan. Since he's one of only a few native-English speakers in the town, we sometimes hang out. There are about five other towns in my area, and I know most of the young foreigners there, too. Anyway, almost everyone in the area HATES this guy's guts. A few of us try to get along with him (since we know how lonely it can be when you're along in a foreign country), but everyone else wants to rip the guy's throat out. I know, because that was my initial reaction to him.

Anyway, I was trying to type the guy, but I can't decide on what he is, although I think he's an NT, perhaps ENTP. Here are some of his traits:
opinionated, uses dramatic big words, insensitive to others' feelings, extremely knowledgeable about a wide variety of subjects, likes to explore/get lost, incredibly talkative (his nick-name is Mr. Loquacious), brags a lot, esoteric, confident, snide to anyone with opposite views, and argumentative.

He seems to have a huge thirst for knowledge, and he seems pretty comfortable being thrown into new situations. He knows more about the area than people who have lived here 4 years, but he's only been here a few months. Therefore, I think T and P. Still, he's also really opinionated and stubborn.

Then, he loves to hear himself talk, which is one of the reasons people seems to hate him. In big groups he dominates the discussion, usually with something nitpicky and self-promoting. In small groups, it's easier to step in to the conversation and interrupt him. E or I?

The guy really lacks tack and is always accidentally insulting people. Is this an S function more than an N one? I just can't see this guy being an SP or even an SJ.

I had a small argument with the guy over semantics recently. We were arguing about whether there is a catch-all term for protective suits like bunny suits and hazmat suits. My argument was that I didn't care to distinguish between them in my day to day life (I'm an English teacher, for Pete's sake!) His response was that he always tries to be as specific and correct in speech as possible, no matter how offensive someone else may take it. Very NTP, I think. I said that I'd rather generalize and move on to something else. Very INTJ. I like overview, he likes details.

Anyway, I mostly get along with the guy (because I only see him very sparingly). When lacking a conversation piece, I ask him for information about something obscure. I'm morbidly curious to hear some of his strange opinions and ideas.

Tell me what you think. Have you ever met an ENTP gone wrong? Did I type him wrong?

Sounds like an unhappy ENTP to me...Do you know the content of his day-to-day job? If he doesn't have an outlet to express his inventing, he may be really, really frustrated and this may be why the discomfort.

ajblaise

Minister of Propagandhi
MBTI Type
INTP
There's definitely an ENTP-pariah correlation. And we even have an example of one right on this forum: Eck.

Though I think it's more common with ESTPs. And on a semi-related note, I guarantee the most common type in jail is ESTP.

sculpting

I think I work with this guy... I'd say an insecure entp. My favorite pastime w mine is to treat him like he is stupid, call him arrogant and insecure, and and an idiot savant. I also sometimes talk slowly to him like he is in preschool.

Id also argue more esfp and istps end up in jail then estps. estps are competent criminals.

jenocyde

half mystic, half skeksis
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
He's just an ENTP trying hard to be liked. Since we like people who are deemed intelligent, he assumes everyone does, and therefore is always broadcasting his intelligence to everyone. Tell him to tone it down and he most likely will.

If someone harbors resentments toward me, of which I am oblivious, I find it to be the ultimate betrayal. Like you are the judge, jury and executioner before I have even had a fair trial. Trust me, if he's ENTP, he will most likely not have been aware of how he's acting and will make every effort to correct his behavior - if you can prove that you are not just being overly sensitive.

iwakar

crush the fences
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
He's just an ENTP trying hard to be liked. Since we like people who are deemed intelligent, he assumes everyone does, and therefore is always broadcasting his intelligence to everyone. Tell him to tone it down and he most likely will.

If someone harbors resentments toward me, of which I am oblivious, I find it to be the ultimate betrayal. Like you are the judge, jury and executioner before I have even had a fair trial. Trust me, if he's ENTP, he will most likely not have been aware of how he's acting and will make every effort to correct his behavior - if you can prove that you are not just being overly sensitive.

Being that my interactions with ENTPs usually involve them being dicks at some point, how do I tell if they're being a dick intentionally (i.e. they want me to go away) versus they're being a dick inadvertently (i.e. they are social/emotional n00bs.)?

Thanks in advance! :D

ajblaise

Minister of Propagandhi
MBTI Type
INTP
Id also argue more esfp and istps end up in jail then estps. estps are competent criminals.

Since ESFPs tend to be women, and they get locked up at much lesser rates, I'd say no. And I think introverted types are too busy being 25% of the population to go to jail more than ESTPs.

EcK

The Memes Justify the End
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
There's definitely an ENTP-pariah correlation. And we even have an example of one right on this forum: Eck.

Though I think it's more common with ESTPs. And on a semi-related note, I guarantee the most common type in jail is ESTP.
What ?
:huh:
I'm not sure this even deserves an elaborated comment. But it's always cute to see you guys trying so hard to say cool and witty things, reminds me of my nephews growing up, only like, without all the potential and the sunny smiles.

carry on child, carry on.

jenocyde

half mystic, half skeksis
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
Being that my interactions with ENTPs usually involve them being dicks at some point, how do I tell if they're being a dick intentionally (i.e. they want me to go away) versus they're being a dick inadvertently (i.e. they are social/emotional n00bs.)?

Thanks in advance! :D

I can only speak for myself, but I prefer the most direct route - just ask me (without getting emotional). Most times, if someone says lightheartedly "Ouch, you just verbally bitchslapped me - what did you mean by that?" I will turn beet red and explain that I truly meant no harm, my mind was just too preoccupied to think of niceties to say. Then I retreat to lick my wounds and obsess for days about how I can communicate better with this person so they don't get hurt. Or I will tell you that it probably wasn't the best way to respond, but I didn't think you'd get the point unless I was that harsh. Either way, you will always know where you stand with me if you ask.

And you have to remember that what you may call being a dick may have nothing to do you with you or his lack of social skills, it could just be a different communication style. I prefer direct, honest, blunt answers to my questions, others prefer making doilies out of their words. So in many cases, I think the other party is being a dick for deliberately being obtuse and not answering the question. Especially when they see that I am pressed for time.

ajblaise

Minister of Propagandhi
MBTI Type
INTP
What ?
:huh:
I'm not sure this even deserves an elaborated comment. But it's always cute to see you guys trying so hard to say cool and witty things, reminds me of my nephews growing up, only like, without all the potential and the sunny smiles.

carry on child, carry on.

I'm usually too busy avoiding your posts in the same way I avoid diabetes... but someone has to say witty things, ENTPs aren't steppin up.

EcK

The Memes Justify the End
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
I'm usually too busy avoiding your posts in the same way I avoid diabetes... but someone has to say witty things, ENTPs aren't steppin up.
Right, Ur so interesting I forgot u existed until now. Of course.

INTJMom

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
I think it's much more likely the guy is ESTJ , ISTJ or ENTJ... in that order.
They are far more likely to be the type of person that "knows everything" and opinionated enough about it to make everyone hate them.

I know some ESTJs and an ISTJ who sound exactly like what you describe, though I'm also familiar enough with ENTJs that they could fit the bill, too.

An INTJ tends to specialize in their knowledge in a few areas... not so broad.

I disagree with the reason you think he's a P... i.e. adapted quickly. an STJ could have done that too. That whole "knows more than the people who've lived here 4 years" screams STJ.

ENTPs are actually much more careful about creating good relationships with people around them. They're not so black and white and offensive.

That's my 2 cents, anyway.

Jwill

MBTI Type
INTJ
I think it's much more likely the guy is ESTJ , ISTJ or ENTJ... in that order.
They are far more likely to be the type of person that "knows everything" and opinionated enough about it to make everyone hate them.

I know some ESTJs and an ISTJ who sound exactly like what you describe, though I'm also familiar enough with ENTJs that they could fit the bill, too.

An INTJ tends to specialize in their knowledge in a few areas... not so broad.

I disagree with the reason you think he's a P... i.e. adapted quickly. an STJ could have done that too. That whole "knows more than the people who've lived here 4 years" screams STJ.

ENTPs are actually much more careful about creating good relationships with people around them. They're not so black and white and offensive.

That's my 2 cents, anyway.

Yeah, that's what I was wondering. Mostly, I was leaning toward ENTP, ENTJ, or ESTJ. He is really opinionated. The first time everyone in the area met him, he pretty much just went around making incredibly opinionated, tactless statements. Although he has few social skills, I still think he's extroverted. He seems to really like being around people. People just don't like being around him. But yeah, I could see the ESTJ thing. Ns see the forest, Ss see the trees. This guys definitely very fact-based.

I think the problem with this guy is that he's an extrovert who is probably 100 percent T. No F to go with his E.

Jwill

MBTI Type
INTJ
Sounds like an unhappy ENTP to me...Do you know the content of his day-to-day job? If he doesn't have an outlet to express his inventing, he may be really, really frustrated and this may be why the discomfort.

I think he's okay with his job. He was just raised in an overly-strict catholic home, so he's often, I think, consciously bashing anything mainstream. Also, he's just one of those people who never learned to have tact and flexibility.

So, in some ways, I'm reluctant to type him as an SJ. He's always reacting against society's long-held rules.

Anyway, I get the feeling he's not just an unhappy type. I think he's been weird for a long time. This isn't a recent development in his life.

digesthisickness

✿ڿڰۣஇღ♥ wut ♥ღஇڿڰۣ✿
MBTI Type
ENTP
this guy sounds nothing like an ENTP.

Salomé

meh
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
^ I know one exactly like this.... Although he can also be charming and witty and laugh-out-loud funny....but mostly he's just an ass.

INTJMom

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
I think he's okay with his job. He was just raised in an overly-strict catholic home, so he's often, I think, consciously bashing anything mainstream. Also, he's just one of those people who never learned to have tact and flexibility.

So, in some ways, I'm reluctant to type him as an SJ. He's always reacting against society's long-held rules.

Anyway, I get the feeling he's not just an unhappy type. I think he's been weird for a long time. This isn't a recent development in his life.
I know what you mean by your reluctance... I know 2 ISTJs who are ALWAYS dissing traditional respected authorities... something we're led to believe SJs don't do. It's quite a conundrum for me, too.

I know an ISTJ who talks incessantly and was an hour late for a lunch appointment I had with him.

Don't forget, the older a person is, the more difficult it is to discern their core type since they've been developing their Tertiary and later on Inferior aspects.

digesthisickness

✿ڿڰۣஇღ♥ wut ♥ღஇڿڰۣ✿
MBTI Type
ENTP
^ I know one exactly like this.... Although he can also be charming and witty and laugh-out-loud funny....but mostly he's just an ass.

ENTPs are usually way too laid back to try to force their opinions on others. they're also capable of not only seeing other people's perspectives and respecting them, but are also willing to learn by at least listening.

sure, they can be an ass, and debate/argue for the fun of it, but it's not to the death because they think they've got it all figured out and everyone else needs to just get in line.

there's more than one kind of asshole.