123 Last

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    SLE

Default Experiencing Emotion Through Music

I've been wondering a lot about this topic lately. When I listen to music that I like, I feel to a degree that I simply cannot replicate in my everyday experiences with people, even in situations that would call for an intensified degree of feeling. As a result, my favorite types of music are the most extremely sensitive and emotional. Does anyone else experience this? Does everyone?

I also notice that my decision making is influenced by music. For instance, the other day I had inadvertently acted a bit like an asshole to someone I liked, and I realized that this was the case a couple of hours later when I was reflecting on our interaction together. At first, I thought, "oh well, they know me well enough that they probably understand I didn't mean anything by it." But then, as I went to go to sleep, and I put on my music (like I always do, I can't sleep without it), it got me thinking that I should write an apologetic email to that person. As the music progressed, and came to the climactic part of the song, I had fully decided that I should write them (for a number of emotional reasons, one among them being that this person was a fairly sensitive, fragile creature, and I felt really bad) and I promptly got up and did it. A little later, without my music on, I was a bit bewildered that I had decided to do that so rashly, and I almost regretted that I had. I have had many similar situations before and since this particular event.

It's as if the music turns me into the type of person who would make decisions on an emotional basis. And interestingly enough, I always value these rare decisions because they result in things that I would never imagine doing. Does this ring true for anybody else? I appreciate any comments you guys/girls wish to give.
    Artes, Scientia, Veritasiness

MBTI
    INxJ

Hmmm... I know when I'm feeling something that I can't pinpoint, I will specifically begin to listen to many types of music to figure out what it is. Other than that, I don't feel much from music. Most of the time, I have no idea what the lyrics are either.

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    SLE

Quote Originally Posted by 01011010 View Post
    Hmmm... I know when I'm feeling something that I can't pinpoint, I will specifically begin to listen to many types of music figure out what it is. Other than that, I don't feel much from music. Most of the time, I have no idea what the lyrics are either.
    Thanks for the response!

Yeah, I do that too. The searching to find the right music, that is. And I don't ever know what the lyrics to a song are.

I guess I just take it a few steps further...music has a very powerful influence over me. I have an INTJ friend, though, and she is not as totally obsessed about music as I am, either.
    Artes, Scientia, Veritasiness

MBTI
    INxJ

Quote Originally Posted by Orangey View Post
    Thanks for the response!

Yeah, I do that too. The searching to find the right music, that is. And I don't ever know what the lyrics to a song are.

I guess I just take it a few steps further...music has a very powerful influence over me. I have an INTJ friend, though, and she is not as totally obsessed about music as I am, either.
    No problem. I read INTPs love of music is related to Fe.

Minister of Propagandhi ajblaise's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP

Sometimes when listening to good music I get those shivers/body buzzes during certain parts of the song... and I think "Is this emotion?". It's a rush that I suspect has something to do with serotonin. And serotonin has much to do with how people feel empathy.

The right music can definitely have a subtle or moderate effect on my mood, perhaps making me more sentimental for that stretch of time. I'm not big on lyrics usually, unless I view them as impeccable, which is rare. Rhythm and melody has a much larger effect on me.

MBTI
    XNXP

I can get pretty emotional listening to music if I've been drinking a lot. Certain Tom Waits' and Neil Young songs.

I used to get a feeling of "nostalgia for the future" hearing particular songs as a boy, and thinking that I should use them to remember what it was like being a little boy when I remembered them as an adult. Certain places/locales were like that, too.
    "The people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them that they are being attacked and denounce the peacemakers for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to danger. It works the same in any country."
    Reichsfuhrer Herman Goering at the Nuremburg trials.

MBTI
    INxJ

I know this is unrelated, but I think the three of us (Orangey, Ajblaise, and I) come up with the best questions for the "truth or truth" thread.

/Ni Tangent Over

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Orangey View Post
    I've been wondering a lot about this topic lately. When I listen to music that I like, I feel to a degree that I simply cannot replicate in my everyday experiences with people, even in situations that would call for an intensified degree of feeling.
    YES. Was that emphatic enough?

And I want to dance too, FWIW.

Habitual Fi LineStepper JocktheMotie's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 01011010 View Post
    No problem. I read INTPs love of music is related to Fe.
    Quote Originally Posted by INTP Profile
    Ultimately, however, music forms a vital, central role in awaking the underdeveloped Fe shadow in the life of an INTP. It is undoutedly Fe that gives the INTP the life-spark to introduce a genuine sense of joy that music is experienced with. To the INTP, the role of Fe in music appreciation remains mysterious.

The mystery of emotion is also evidence in the INTP's use of music. He always chooses to listen to music which suits his current emotional state, be it aggression, warmth, excitement, relaxation or whatever. Hence, the emotional state is assumed to be an unchangeable, mysterious property of himself. It is easier to choose appropriate music than to attempt to influence this. People with introverted Feeling, Fi, however, will deliberately choose to listen to music which helps them change and improve their mood. INTPs could never do that. They feel an unpleasant sense of disharmony whenever a music style clashes with their emotional state. Indeed, it is remarkable how much attention they pay to their emotions when music is involved.
    I agree with what Ajblaise said. A lot of times, I'll listen to music and get the tingles and shivers when I listen to a great piece of music. It can usually augment a mood I'm currently having. Sometimes if I'm in a lighter mood I'll listen to one thing, a more mean mood another.

MBTI
    XNXP

I'm usually going for accentuating an existing mood, versus changing a mood I don't like, when I put on music with a mood in mind. Of course, some of my moods are nebulous enough that this leaves a pretty open field, to be honest.
    "The people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them that they are being attacked and denounce the peacemakers for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to danger. It works the same in any country."
    Reichsfuhrer Herman Goering at the Nuremburg trials.