MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    SLE

Thanks for all the replies!

Quote Originally Posted by 01011010 View Post
    No problem. I read INTPs love of music is related to Fe.
    Yeah, I think I read that here. I could relate very well to the bit about music and photography.

Quote Originally Posted by ajblaise View Post
    Sometimes when listening to good music I get those shivers/body buzzes during certain parts of the song... and I think "Is this emotion?". It's a rush that I suspect has something to do with serotonin. And serotonin has much to do with how people feel empathy.

The right music can definitely have a subtle or moderate effect on my mood, perhaps making me more sentimental for that stretch of time. I'm not big on lyrics usually, unless I view them as impeccable, which is rare. Rhythm and melody has a much larger effect on me.
    That makes sense. And yeah, music definitely makes me sentimental for a time (depending on the type of music and mood I'm in, of course). Lately it's been very melancholic...probably because it's winter and cold again. Rhythm and melody are everything in music to me. I've said this before, but I think that's why I like incomprehensible lyrics, either so abstract that it would take analysis to understand, or in a foreign language that I don't speak. It allows me to hear the form of the vocals instead of the content of the words.

And I, too, always get the tingling, shivers thing when I'm listening to good music. Sometimes I even feel like tearing up if it's especially beautiful. And I don't cry, ever. Music amplifies my emotions to a very high degree.

Quote Originally Posted by kuranes View Post
    I can get pretty emotional listening to music if I've been drinking a lot. Certain Tom Waits' and Neil Young songs.

I used to get a feeling of "nostalgia for the future" hearing particular songs as a boy, and thinking that I should use them to remember what it was like being a little boy when I remembered them as an adult. Certain places/locales were like that, too.
    Lol, actually I think I appreciate music far less when I've been drinking. You can't pick up on the subtleties, and subtleties are everything in music for me.

Quote Originally Posted by 01011010 View Post
    I know this is unrelated, but I think the three of us (Orangey, Ajblaise, and I) come up with the best questions for the "truth or truth" thread.

/Ni Tangent
    Haha, yeah I consistently like the questions that come from both of you. I think I answer yours, 01011010, most frequently.

Quote Originally Posted by norepinephrine View Post
    YES. Was that emphatic enough?

And I want to dance too, FWIW.
    Lol, but INTPs don't dance!

Quote Originally Posted by JocktheMotie View Post
    I agree with what Ajblaise said. A lot of times, I'll listen to music and get the tingles and shivers when I listen to a great piece of music. It can usually augment a mood I'm currently having. Sometimes if I'm in a lighter mood I'll listen to one thing, a more mean mood another.
    I'm usually going for accentuating an existing mood, versus changing a mood I don't like, when I put on music with a mood in mind. Of course, some of my moods are nebulous enough that this leaves a pretty open field, to be honest.
    I absolutely do not do the mood changing music thing. If I'm feeling melancholic, I will resent cheerful music. Same the other way around. There was another thread about that a while ago...something about constructive vs. emotive styles, or something.
    Artes, Scientia, Veritasiness

MBTI
    INFP

I can get pretty emotional listening to music if I've been drinking a lot. Certain Tom Waits' and Neil Young songs.

Here's a paraphrase of a quote from a music critic about Tom Wait's voice which applies kuranes:

It sounds like it was soaked in a vat of whiskey, hung in a smokehouse for a couple of months and then taken outside and run over by a car a couple of times.

Funny!

Me, too, about not wanting cheerful music when I am feeling down. And vice versa.
    "No ray of sunshine is ever lost, but the green which it awakes into existence needs time to sprout, and it is not always granted to the sower to see the harvest. All work that is worth anything is done in faith." - Albert Schweitzer

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Anja View Post

Me, too, about not wanting cheerful music when I am feeling down. And vice versa.
    Quote Originally Posted by Orangey View Post

I absolutely do not do the mood changing music thing. If I'm feeling melancholic, I will resent cheerful music. Same the other way around. There was another thread about that a while ago...something about constructive vs. emotive styles, or something.
    i generally look for songs to "bridge" emotions... like ill look for a song that starts out slow and then builds into a happy/healing song... that way i feel like im "fixing" the emotion:

example (3 min of slow --> 3 min of happy):

[youtube=PCSFz_YycYA]Shameless Floyd Plug[/youtube]

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    548 sp/sx
    Socionics
    INTj

Music is usually a relief Si thing for me. Brings back memories, and even a newer song that resembles an older song or style will in interesting. I like funky, layered stuff, and I grew up breaking down music into its parts, such as chords, which I have identified as what I often focused on in songs I like. (I also grew up not noticing the words, and my wife remembers songs mostly by the words and points them out to me, though she can appreciate the layers and other technical details as well). I'm affected by it emotionally too. I grew up with stuff like Simon & Garfunkel's "Sound of SilenceK and "Scarbbough Fair" and Procol Harum's "Whiter Shade of Pail" and just the harmony of these songs could almost make me cry when I was young. As I was writing this, they were just playing on the radio Marshall Tucker Band "Can't You See" (which I probably never heard of before), but that sad country-rock sound and theme grates on me as well. This isn't the kind of "melancholic music" INTP's are said to enjoy, is it? (I would like jazzier stuff, and I can be moved more positively by a touching piece as well)
    APS Profile: Inclusion: e/w=1/6 (Supine) |Control: e/w=7/3 (Choleric) |Affection: e/w=1/9 (Supine)
    Ti 54.3 | Ne 47.3 | Si 37.8 | Fe 17.7 | Te 22.5 | Ni 13.4 | Se 18.9 | Fi 27.9

Temperament (APS) from scratch -- MBTI Type from scratch
    Type Ideas

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8w7 sp/sx
    Socionics
    SLE Ti

I find that music and film have the most impact on me in life. Through these media I feel more than I do in life.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Socionics
    ILE

Sometimes when listening to good music I get those shivers/body buzzes during certain parts of the song... and I think "Is this emotion?". It's a rush that I suspect has something to do with serotonin. And serotonin has much to do with how people feel empathy.

The right music can definitely have a subtle or moderate effect on my mood, perhaps making me more sentimental for that stretch of time. I'm not big on lyrics usually, unless I view them as impeccable, which is rare. Rhythm and melody has a much larger effect on me.
    I get them too!!!!
    Sometimes i literally just stop when i hear song like that first time i hear it.
    I like melody and rythem but i also love clever lyrics! (see sig - first 2 are editors songs )
    "I'd never die for my beliefs, I might be wrong"

"Is it not enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe there are fairys at the bottom of it too"

"Intelligence is being able to hold too opposing views in the mind at the one time without going crazy" - Now all I need to figure out is if I'm intelligent or crazy!

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    SLE

Quote Originally Posted by Eric B View Post
    As I was writing this, they were just playing on the radio Marshall Tucker Band "Can't You See" (which I probably never heard of before), but that sad country-rock sound and theme grates on me as well. This isn't the kind of "melancholic music" INTP's are said to enjoy, is it? (I would like jazzier stuff, and I can be moved more positively by a touching piece as well)
    Well I only speak for myself, but good lord, no! I know it's pretty typical to hear the "I hate country" thing from people, but I just really can't stand it. If you turn on Rascal Flatts (sp?) I will be angry no matter what mood I was previously experiencing.

And no, I don't mean Johnny Cash or any of the other "old country", so don't bring it up. You all know that what we call country today is an entirely different beast.
    Artes, Scientia, Veritasiness

MBTI
    Enfp
    Enneagram
    497 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEE Fi

Music is always first about melody for me as that's what invokes the initial emotions. Lyrics enhance that later on in the process. I use it to calm myself, but also to reflect, to release stress and to get myself riled up to go nuts. One of my favorite methods to release stress, is put on some fine 80's music, scream along to it and dance my heart out. If I'm at a loss of how to handle my emotions, putting on the right music can amplify the feeling I'm having and help me resolve what's underneath. And yes, some songs have emotional value, and cause nostalgia coz I have such bittersweet memories of them and the music allows me to reexperience them as if I was there once more.

For me, any of these processes involve me blocking out the outside world, and literally living the music, feeling it in every part of my body, seeing the notes and colours that correspond to them. It makes me feel alive
    ★ڿڰۣ✿ℒoѵℯ✿ڿڰۣ★

"Harm none, do as ye will”

MBTI
    INTP

Me, too--I'm much, much more affected by the musicality, instrumentation, rhythm, melody, etc., than by the lyrics. UNLESS the lyrics are just amazing. Some lyrics can bring me to tears because of the picture they paint--and it's not always an outright sad song. A good example would be "Sunday Morning Coming Down." There's just something about a perfectly captured feeling of loneliness amid the activity, written in seemingly plain, and yet, poetic language--it just gets me.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric B View Post
    Music is usually a relief Si thing for me. Brings back memories, and even a newer song that resembles an older song or style will in interesting. I like funky, layered stuff, and I grew up breaking down music into its parts, such as chords, which I have identified as what I often focused on in songs I like. (I also grew up not noticing the words, and my wife remembers songs mostly by the words and points them out to me, though she can appreciate the layers and other technical details as well). I'm affected by it emotionally too. I grew up with stuff like Simon & Garfunkel's "Sound of SilenceK and "Scarbbough Fair" and Procol Harum's "Whiter Shade of Pail" and just the harmony of these songs could almost make me cry when I was young. As I was writing this, they were just playing on the radio Marshall Tucker Band "Can't You See" (which I probably never heard of before), but that sad country-rock sound and theme grates on me as well. This isn't the kind of "melancholic music" INTP's are said to enjoy, is it? (I would like jazzier stuff, and I can be moved more positively by a touching piece as well)
    Yes, very much all of that--I really never noticed the lyrics much growing up, but I could sometimes sing the guitar riff or the background vocals if they interested me.

I love that country-rock sound from the 70s, though. There's something in that that feels like home, to me. It has to be an Si thing.

I don't do melancholic music. At all. I very rarely will even sit through a slow song on the radio. I'd much rather listen to something with a driving beat and lots of guitars. I think a lot of INTPs are supposed to be into techno and progressive rock, though all that stuff is too busy for me. I never understood the appeal of techno--I want some variation in my drums, for one thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Orangey View Post
    Well I only speak for myself, but good lord, no! I know it's pretty typical to hear the "I hate country" thing from people, but I just really can't stand it. If you turn on Rascal Flatts (sp?) I will be angry no matter what mood I was previously experiencing.

And no, I don't mean Johnny Cash or any of the other "old country", so don't bring it up. You all know that what we call country today is an entirely different beast.
    Rascal Flatts immediately makes me want to kill people. It SHOULD evoke that response in everyone.

I do adore old school country--probably the nostalgia thing, but also the raw sound, the more plain-spoken lyrics about pain and loss and drinkin' and cheatin'. It just feels real, somehow. And maybe more outright emotional, which might appeal to me in some perverse way, since that's not generally how I operate.
    Something Witty

MBTI
    PINT

I've always thought of music as a language of emotion. I identify with a lot of what's been said here.