• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NT] Difference between genius and normal peson or just between intuitive and sensing?

Lexlike

MBTI Type
InTP
Enneagram
4w5
Hello all,
We know that most geniuses cared more about things (systems, music, physics, religion whatever) than people... but is it just because of the diference between itntuitive and sensing or not?? or a differnce of another functions-
and what about you are you a more interested in people or things?....

simulatedworld

Freshman Member
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
That's part of it; caring for abstract systems (as your apparent hero there did) over human feelings is pretty characteristically NT (not just N...NFs are much more personally involved with those around them.)

Moiety

MBTI Type
ISFJ
Can't there be geniuses in the so-called social sciences? Wouldn't they be interested in people; more so than things?

AOA

♣️♦️♠️♥️
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx
Genius? That's a word I never heard in a long time...

nozflubber

DoubleplusUngoodNonperson
MBTI Type
Hype
Thread making must be an art....

Lol... dick move imo! take into account English isn't exactly his first language :p it's prolly like his 8th...

Secondly there is a HUGE pro-N bias on this message board which has devolved into the silent belief that "Senors can't do physics or philosophy or anything other than art", which is utterly retarded. So no, I don't think genius vs normity is about N vs S.... Ns just linger here so you have this incredible bias because the intelligent sensors are out in the "real world" applying and doing.

"When you little scamps get together, you're worse than a sewing circle"

Lexlike

MBTI Type
InTP
Enneagram
4w5
I m sorry for my " creative use of the english language" i ended working on my english propably two years ago... but i ll promise it will get better!

But there are some sensing "geniuses"( do not know the exact word in english): mozart f. example, or ricahrd wagner or van gogh, for example... so genius in arts, which is proplably dominated by introverted Sensors

nozflubber

DoubleplusUngoodNonperson
MBTI Type
Hype
But there are some sensing "geniuses"( do not know the exact word in english): mozart f. example, or ricahrd wagner or van gogh, for example... so genius in arts, which is proplably dominated by introverted Sensors

See there you are assuming too! Sensors can only be good at the arts and music.... not true!

I was reading Planck's biography the other day. I thought it sounded very much like ISTJ or ESTJ in terms of how he approached physics (as well as trying to weather the storm of Naziism - encouraging other german physicists to remain at current posts)

Lexlike

MBTI Type
InTP
Enneagram
4w5
See there you are assuming too! Sensors can only be good at the arts and music.... not true!

I was reading Planck's biography the other day. I thought it sounded very much like ISTJ or ESTJ in terms of how he approached physics (as well as trying to weather the storm of Naziism - encouraging other german physicists to remain at current posts)

True, propably i do not know that many examples of them...
Well, Planck is German, we all know there are only ISTJ germans ;) (just joking
)
But joking aside, i must admit i know too little about planck, but istj can get quiet into a matter, so they become riggid masters of it, but it is not what you can call "innovative genius" or something in that way propably...

BlueScreen

Fail 2.0
MBTI Type
YMCA
ISTPs own at science and most things in general. Their precision and learning of techniques is awesome. ISTJs are very effective also.

The problem that occurs often on here is people think there is only one way from A to B. There are many paths, and with a lifetime of having certain functions, each type learns to use them very adaptively. All types can have high IQs and all can be creative.

CrystalViolet

lab rat extraordinaire
MBTI Type
XNFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
A genius, I would say, is some one who is some one who consistently thinks outside the box. Genius is the very epitome of innovation.
Sensors and Intuitives both would definitely have prime examples, in fields associated with their strengths. I do have to admit though, true geniuses are more likely to be P's than J's, although J's would have more drive to see their visions through.

wildcat

MBTI Type
INTP
Hello all,
We know that most geniuses cared more about things (systems, music, physics, religion whatever) than people... but is it just because of the diference between itntuitive and sensing or not?? or a differnce of another functions-
and what about you are you a more interested in people or things?....
NTP > NTJ > STP
The NTJ is the go between.

It looks illogical at the outset.
Look closely.
Theory > Organization > Application.

A bank does not unite the two banks of a river.

Gauche

I've read that NPs have the highest capacity for divergent thinking and genius. But first, we must look at what we mean by the word "genius". You know, we have more kinds of "genius", which probably differ vigorously in their core mainfestations. We could have an art genius, like Van Gogh, and we can have a science genius, like Einstein. Would be Einstein good at painting and Van Gogh at physics? Probably not.
Another concept is the "creative genius". Here, I'd go strongly for the N and P. I just cannot imagine pedant ISTJ to be a creative genius.
Then we have the presumptions that only Ts are true geniuses. But what about social geniuses? What about Mahatma Gandhi or Joan of Arc? Weren't they a kind of geniuses? Social geniuses?

CrystalViolet

lab rat extraordinaire
MBTI Type
XNFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I've read that NPs have the highest capacity for divergent thinking and genius. But first, we must look at what we mean by the word "genius". You know, we have more kinds of "genius", which probably differ vigorously in their core mainfestations. We could have an art genius, like Van Gogh, and we can have a science genius, like Einstein. Would be Einstein good at painting and Van Gogh at physics? Probably not.
Another concept is the "creative genius". Here, I'd go strongly for the N and P. I just cannot imagine pedant ISTJ to be a creative genius.
Then we have the presumptions that only Ts are true geniuses. But what about social geniuses? What about Mahatma Gandhi or Joan of Arc? Weren't they a kind of geniuses? Social geniuses?
Well stated. And some what reflective of my own thoughts.

Night

Boring old fossil
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5/8
I'm not sure I buy into your premise that high intelligence naturally relates better to abstract themes (systems) as opposed to people/tangible artifacts. This distinction seems difficult to adduce without buying into an ideology that tethers intellectual giftedness to a linear expression.

More often than not, to effectively connect hypothesis with reality (and gain recognition, as it were), one must effectively bridge these "natural" divides into a working template that fuses interpersonal finesse/network association with theoretical landscape. Failing to correspond these variables will make it difficult to establish a credible reputation.

Take psychiatry. To be an effective psychiatrist, one must professionally blend pharmaceutical diagnosis with observed behavioral pathology. Without adequate comprehension of either field (theoretical -or- interpersonal), it becomes difficult to offer legitimate clinical treatment, which could ultimately serve as a detrimental force in the neurological health of one's audience.

V

violaine

Ooh actually I used to know an amazingly creative ISTJ. He was in a technical discipline and applied himself fully to it so perhaps that was part of it. But he was like *jaw drops* incredibly gifted. I've never met anyone else with such an eye for detail. He could also draw well though wasn't serious about it. I could never really understand the source of his creativity and he could never tell me either, other than that he did what he loved, had an eye for it and was very driven. He was extremely uptight, rigid, dutiful and security conscious they way an archetypal ISTJ supposedly is too.

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I'm not sure I buy into your premise that high intelligence naturally relates better to abstract themes (systems) as opposed to people/tangible artifacts. This distinction seems difficult to adduce without buying into an ideology that tethers intellectual giftedness to a linear expression.

More often than not, to effectively connect hypothesis with reality (and gain recognition, as it were), one must effectively bridge these "natural" divides into a working template that fuses interpersonal finesse/network association with theoretical landscape. Failing to correspond these variables will make it difficult to establish a credible reputation.

Take psychiatry. To be an effective psychiatrist, one must professionally blend pharmaceutical diagnosis with observed behavioral pathology. Without adequate comprehension of either field (theoretical -or- interpersonal), it becomes difficult to offer legitimate clinical treatment, which could ultimately serve as a detrimental force in the neurological health of one's audience.

I agree. I read this thread as more egoistic NP-focussed self-esteem masturbation.

Most of the "certified geniuses" I know are only interested in the abstract insofar as it has an effect on "reality" and their ability to shape it. The people whom I know who are unbelievably hung up on the theoretical/abstract are just reasonably intelligent people with too much time on their hands.

The_Liquid_Laser

Glowy Goopy Goodness
MBTI Type
ENTP
This is my favorite definition of a genius:

"That which is difficult to a normal person is easy to a gifted person. That which is difficult to a gifted person is easy to a genius."

I like this defintion because it is based on competence which can be applied to any field imaginable. (And what good is a person with an alleged high IQ if they do nothing with it.) Using this definition there are geniuses of a wide variety. Tiger Woods is a genius. Shakespeare was a genius. So was Florence Nightengale. Extreme competence should be viewed as amazing regardless of what field you are referring to.

sculpting

I think genius is sort of an artificial grouping. the topicality needs to be addressed a little better before you start trying to type them.

a genius tattoo artist-an ISTP
a genius physicist-an INTP
a genius physician-an INTJ
a genius painter-I dont know

see what I mean?

having said that in the sciences I have seen-biology, biochemistry, chemistry, physics, and math, Ss not only are they not great but are usually pretty unhappy at it. IQ is not the issue, but thier innate tendancy is not to think this way. The Ss who end up in advanced studies here tend to have been med-school wannabies or have a family tradition of Ns in the field and they think the field thus defines thier success.