User Tag List

First 1234 Last

lab rat extraordinaire CrystalViolet's Avatar
    MBTI
    XNFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

A genius, I would say, is some one who is some one who consistently thinks outside the box. Genius is the very epitome of innovation.
    Sensors and Intuitives both would definitely have prime examples, in fields associated with their strengths. I do have to admit though, true geniuses are more likely to be P's than J's, although J's would have more drive to see their visions through.
    Currently submerged under an avalanche of books and paper work. I may come back up for air from time to time.
    Real life awaits and she is a demanding mistress.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Lexlike View Post
    Hello all,
    We know that most geniuses cared more about things (systems, music, physics, religion whatever) than people... but is it just because of the diference between itntuitive and sensing or not?? or a differnce of another functions-
    and what about you are you a more interested in people or things?....
    NTP > NTJ > STP
    The NTJ is the go between.

It looks illogical at the outset.
    Look closely.
    Theory > Organization > Application.

A bank does not unite the two banks of a river.

I've read that NPs have the highest capacity for divergent thinking and genius. But first, we must look at what we mean by the word "genius". You know, we have more kinds of "genius", which probably differ vigorously in their core mainfestations. We could have an art genius, like Van Gogh, and we can have a science genius, like Einstein. Would be Einstein good at painting and Van Gogh at physics? Probably not.
    Another concept is the "creative genius". Here, I'd go strongly for the N and P. I just cannot imagine pedant ISTJ to be a creative genius.
    Then we have the presumptions that only Ts are true geniuses. But what about social geniuses? What about Mahatma Gandhi or Joan of Arc? Weren't they a kind of geniuses? Social geniuses?

lab rat extraordinaire CrystalViolet's Avatar
    MBTI
    XNFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Gauche View Post
    I've read that NPs have the highest capacity for divergent thinking and genius. But first, we must look at what we mean by the word "genius". You know, we have more kinds of "genius", which probably differ vigorously in their core mainfestations. We could have an art genius, like Van Gogh, and we can have a science genius, like Einstein. Would be Einstein good at painting and Van Gogh at physics? Probably not.
    Another concept is the "creative genius". Here, I'd go strongly for the N and P. I just cannot imagine pedant ISTJ to be a creative genius.
    Then we have the presumptions that only Ts are true geniuses. But what about social geniuses? What about Mahatma Gandhi or Joan of Arc? Weren't they a kind of geniuses? Social geniuses?
    Well stated. And some what reflective of my own thoughts.
    Currently submerged under an avalanche of books and paper work. I may come back up for air from time to time.
    Real life awaits and she is a demanding mistress.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5/8
    Socionics
    ENTp None

I'm not sure I buy into your premise that high intelligence naturally relates better to abstract themes (systems) as opposed to people/tangible artifacts. This distinction seems difficult to adduce without buying into an ideology that tethers intellectual giftedness to a linear expression.

More often than not, to effectively connect hypothesis with reality (and gain recognition, as it were), one must effectively bridge these "natural" divides into a working template that fuses interpersonal finesse/network association with theoretical landscape. Failing to correspond these variables will make it difficult to establish a credible reputation.

Take psychiatry. To be an effective psychiatrist, one must professionally blend pharmaceutical diagnosis with observed behavioral pathology. Without adequate comprehension of either field (theoretical -or- interpersonal), it becomes difficult to offer legitimate clinical treatment, which could ultimately serve as a detrimental force in the neurological health of one's audience.

violaine

Quote Originally Posted by Gauche View Post
    Ooh actually I used to know an amazingly creative ISTJ. He was in a technical discipline and applied himself fully to it so perhaps that was part of it. But he was like *jaw drops* incredibly gifted. I've never met anyone else with such an eye for detail. He could also draw well though wasn't serious about it. I could never really understand the source of his creativity and he could never tell me either, other than that he did what he loved, had an eye for it and was very driven. He was extremely uptight, rigid, dutiful and security conscious they way an archetypal ISTJ supposedly is too.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    512 sp/so

Quote Originally Posted by Night View Post
    I'm not sure I buy into your premise that high intelligence naturally relates better to abstract themes (systems) as opposed to people/tangible artifacts. This distinction seems difficult to adduce without buying into an ideology that tethers intellectual giftedness to a linear expression.

More often than not, to effectively connect hypothesis with reality (and gain recognition, as it were), one must effectively bridge these "natural" divides into a working template that fuses interpersonal finesse/network association with theoretical landscape. Failing to correspond these variables will make it difficult to establish a credible reputation.

Take psychiatry. To be an effective psychiatrist, one must professionally blend pharmaceutical diagnosis with observed behavioral pathology. Without adequate comprehension of either field (theoretical -or- interpersonal), it becomes difficult to offer legitimate clinical treatment, which could ultimately serve as a detrimental force in the neurological health of one's audience.
    I agree. I read this thread as more egoistic NP-focussed self-esteem masturbation.

Most of the "certified geniuses" I know are only interested in the abstract insofar as it has an effect on "reality" and their ability to shape it. The people whom I know who are unbelievably hung up on the theoretical/abstract are just reasonably intelligent people with too much time on their hands.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

"Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

Glowy Goopy Goodness The_Liquid_Laser's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP

This is my favorite definition of a genius:

"That which is difficult to a normal person is easy to a gifted person. That which is difficult to a gifted person is easy to a genius."

I like this defintion because it is based on competence which can be applied to any field imaginable. (And what good is a person with an alleged high IQ if they do nothing with it.) Using this definition there are geniuses of a wide variety. Tiger Woods is a genius. Shakespeare was a genius. So was Florence Nightengale. Extreme competence should be viewed as amazing regardless of what field you are referring to.
    My wife and I made a game to teach kids about nutrition. Please try our game and vote for us to win. (Voting period: July 14 - August 14)
    http://www.revoltingvegetables.com

I think genius is sort of an artificial grouping. the topicality needs to be addressed a little better before you start trying to type them.

a genius tattoo artist-an ISTP
    a genius physicist-an INTP
    a genius physician-an INTJ
    a genius painter-I dont know

see what I mean?

having said that in the sciences I have seen-biology, biochemistry, chemistry, physics, and math, Ss not only are they not great but are usually pretty unhappy at it. IQ is not the issue, but thier innate tendancy is not to think this way. The Ss who end up in advanced studies here tend to have been med-school wannabies or have a family tradition of Ns in the field and they think the field thus defines thier success.