User Tag List

First 12

MBTI
    iSFj
    Enneagram
    2 sx/so

Mondo, can you get one of those study abroad internships or whatever you call them? Those are basically licenses to take time off and travel while still being classified as a student still. If you can't do that, I'd take hearts advice and take some easy classes.

Also, I know this is risky but have you tried talking to your parents and telling them the situation that you are in? I know they could possibly feel disappointed and you may be deathly afraid of disappointing them, but I think they'd end up feeling the need to help you get things together if you tell them that you are having a hard time, especially if it means a lot to them that you do well. I find it hard to believe that a parent who is paying for a Duke education for their child would push them further down when they are feeling down. This would be better for your life in the long run.

MBTI
    ESTP

Funny thing is that im actually in class right now posting to you guys. But taking a leave from college for a break in my opinion isn't the best idea. I currently have a theory of what kind of work load works best. I noticed that when i go full time, that is when it seem to be most stressed out because all of the classes overlap each other to a point where it becomes tiring mentally and physically. First it depends on how you schedule your classes, most of my friends span their classes monday through thursday if not friday. That in my opinion is wreckless when you can schedule your classes to be only 2 days a week. I was full time at the beginning of this semester but a class had got canceled, but before that i only had class 2 days a week. Its perfect, one day one off then on, and bam 4 days off again. Pretty sweet stuff, also it can make it easier to mix an online class into the mix to make it even more relaxing and smoothe. I hate math personally, so im gonna take that last. Another way to relieve any anxiety is chilling with friends either in between those days or on the weekends because it take your mind off the work that needs to be done. If your one who doesnt have very many accessible friends then i highly recommend picking up a game that you can blow off steam in, such as console gaming that takes advantage of using a microphone, or a mmo game such as wow or even runescape lol, everyone needs to release stress. If those things dont appeal to you find something that does and put massive effort into it, setup an ebay store or something hehe. By conviently spacing out your work loads it becomes more managible. Try going as a part time student, and see how that works, sure it make take a little bit longer to get your degree, but you'll be happy when you get your degree knowing that its was just smoothe sailing. Sure some people have different view and techniques about how that manage to get through college, but taking a break shouldn't ever be an option, it'll be hard to get back into it. At my college we have what we call "the table" where people chill and talk about random shit in between classes and have a good laugh. There is one at every college my friend, anyone can vouch for it, try it out they won't ignore you. That's my opinion, i know someone will critique my methods, but hey i just typed out this long ass paragraph in the middle of class lololol
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

MBTI
    I

Yeah you may want to consider taking a break by taking easy classes for a semester or two like heart said. But you always have to keep your head up high, don't give up if there's something you want to do. I had some pretty bad grades too in college for a stretch, and was considering staying an extra year but I realized I could pull through it without that. But if you think you need it, then do an extra year/semester.

MBTI
    EN?P
    Enneagram

I'm taking a leave of absence right now! It's great. I'm really enjoying the time to work on more personal projects and I've had a lot of time to plan my epic return next semester. I am filled with a renewed energy and am SO AMPED to go back to school.

Taking a break isn't giving up, it's taking a break! You can go back any time you want. School and classes will still be there when you're done figuring stuff out. Pretty much every ENTP I know took a break from college at some point. It's not like you have to finish your undergraduate degree at 22 on the dot. My mum didn't get her BA until she was in her 30s and she's getting her PhD now at 43!

Here's some ideas that might get your parents on your side.

Possibly try getting an internship for the semester you take off so your parents will feel like you're not just using it to dick around.

Explain that your GPA will begin to drop if you keep working at this pace.

During the leave of absence, keep busy and keep presenting your parents with examples of your work to reassure them that you're going right back once you feel better.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTj

If you feel like it's going to help, it will very likely help.
    ENTj 7-3-8 sx/sp

MBTI
    EsTP
    Enneagram
    6w7

Thanks for your advice!
    For now, I have plans to make it through the rest of this semester for sure- see how I'm doing towards the end and figure out what I should do from there.
    I can hang on for now and I guess that's all that matters..
    MBTI Type: iNTj
    Enneagram Type: 3w4 sp/sx

MBTI
    EsTP
    Enneagram
    6w7

The only thing of relief is that I found out I didn't do that badly on that math test which stressed me out so much... I got a B,
    Better than failing like I thought I did..I freaked out, guessed on a few of the problems, but it turned out many of my 'guesses' were actually correct answers.

I will probably be able to make it through this semester. If I do, I can also stick with the Math major.
    I'll have to see how well therapy works.
    I have been diagnosed with mixed anxiety/depression disorder... not surprising, since the two often go hand in hand.

Hopefully, the treatment helps so that I can successfully get through the rest of college..it has actually been working so far.
    I feel less anxious about many things in life.
    MBTI Type: iNTj
    Enneagram Type: 3w4 sp/sx

MBTI
    INTP

my advice which i believe will help (even if just a little) both with stress and your course work is to exercise regularly. you don't have to do excessive amounts, but generally i find that regular aerobic (running, cycling, etc) exercise is a great way to ease a lot of stress and tension in the body. essentially, exercise is nature's anti-depressant. as well it increases blood flow to the brain which then helps your brain function more effectively (re: you get smarter!). if you do some googling you'll find the science behind all this but, suffice it to say, it's true!!!

of coruse, a third nice little benefit is the actual getting in shape part. cause i mean, who doesn't want to look good naked? am i right?
    I'm feeling rough, I'm feeling raw, I'm in the prime of my life.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Good advice, mike.

Moved from Other Psych.