• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[MBTI General] Succumbing to Irrationality or, How to Become More Compassionate

jenocyde

half mystic, half skeksis
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
First, at the basis of any rational thought lies assumptions which cannot be demontrasted. A rational thinking based on invalid assumptions may be perfectly logical but still invalid. As such, there is no such thing as perfectly rational thinking, but at best "logical" thinking that is more or less rational depending on the subjective evaluation of the basic assumptions.

Philosophers such as Kant arrived at views of moral behavior that state that people should treat others as they would like to be treated and act with others in such a way that their actions could become a universal law. Following this view, it is logical to want to help those people because that is treating others in a way in which you would like to be treated and that could be made into a universal law at the benefit of all.

Correct me if I'm wrong and if you would prefer not being helped if you were in Gaza.

That has nothing to do with anything... And really, I'm not debating Israel/Gaza - helping one group may mean that the other group is hurt. The whole thing is circular.

The issue is why he's not allowed to have an opinion on the matter without having his morality judged.

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
Always do what you think makes you happy. If you dont know what it is, find out step by step. But never listen to other peoples advice or this will be your first step to irrationality.

Kangirl

I'm a star.
MBTI Type
ENTJ
The issue is why he's not allowed to have an opinion on the matter without having his morality judged.

Anyone claiming to be an 'amoralist' probably needs to be prepared to have their morality questioned.

Ezra

Luctor et emergo
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
What are you actually afraid of here?

I specified what I was afraid of. Sacrificing my intellectual integrity.

What perception are you trying to foster in the eyes of others about yourself that you are trying to publicly preserve?
I don't care about perceptions. I care about personal consistency.

And what things about yourself that you don't want to accept are you running from?
As far as I'm concerned, nothing.

your not going to become any less logical or lose part of your intellect b/c you can associate with people's feelings.

rather you become more intelligent as you develop your interpersonal skills.

if its hard, just pretend you care.

What you say has made me rethink something. Although I disagree with your claim about "pretending I care", I was about to answer that the reason I disagree is that I value honesty. Then I realised that I can't possibly "value" something without being moralistically inclined, and since morals are based the irrational self, there must be a part of me that is irrational.

Nonetheless, this does not give me a reason to be more compassionate. It merely reveals that I have some irrational inclinations which I evidently accept.

[...]suddenly you'll actually become more rational[...]

How, and why will this be the case?

Wtf?! How is being compassionate = to being irrational? I dunno, but when I first joined this place it used to annoy me that so many used to assume that NT types were cold somehow, but posts like this one seem to be a hint as to why they do. Seriously, spell this out for me, how is feeling compassion for the suffering of others somehow a *compromise* of intellectuality?

Wikipedia said:
Compassion is a profound human emotion prompted by the pain of others. More vigorous than empathy, the feeling commonly gives rise to an active desire to alleviate another's suffering.

The emotional side of us is non-intellectual, and thus irrational by definition. The only way we can discuss emotions in an intellectual way is through use of the analytic method.

USA is a great player in the free market. USA has NOT been 'rationally' neutral to the Gaza conflict, vis a vis, their support (indirect, and, much so) of Israel. So, before you make a judgement on a topic by saying that it has reached its ceiling of rationality, you may want to be better informed. It helps to actually prove your case for rationality that you think you seem to have so much of in spades.

Okay, but that's besides the point.

So, you can take either side, neither side, or, sit on the fence. Just prove it - accordingly. Be it logic or value-based.
Pray tell, how can you possibly make any kind of judgement about the Gaza conflict without appealing to emotion?

Fence-sitting is the only rational option in this case.

For me, it came down to, if it is not logical, I cannot do it/commit. So, one time, I challenged them, can you find 'logic' within values? Show me.
I agree. This is the pinpoint of my argument about fence-sitting.

And, I have been given many an example that finally showed me the limitations of 'cold', objective logic. And, thus, the merits of value-based 'logic'.
I don't see "value-based 'logic'" as genuine logic at all; logic does not consider feelings. Take Kant. His entire system is apparently 'rational', but it's based on irrational 'should' claims about the world (how we 'should' act towards one another), which he cannot possibly justify.

Anecdote: Our driveway is long and narrow, and we got 3 cars parked there. Middle one, the person is not home yet so no key. Front car (my dad's). Last car, blocked in by the rest is mine. I needed to leave ASAP. So, I asked my dad to borrow his car, and when he goes out later, he could use mine. Makes logical sense. His is the in line. However...he refused, asking me to wait to get my car out. I was livid. It didn't make logical sense. Relay story to my F-disposed friend. Her response: Your dad knows you smoke and hates it, and he probably doesn't want to face it/inhale it, when he goes to sit in your car. Simple. Logical still. And, triumped me. That's value-based as you get. But, for some reason, it beats my logical reasoning. With a greater 'internal logic' of its own.[/quote]

That isn't logic. That's value-based reasoning or thinking. Logic, as you say, is a process of thought. This might look incredibly pedantic ;), but as a philosophy undergrad, it's incredibly important to me. Hahaha, how sad does
that make me sound.

Having said that, your talk of 'internal logic' reminds me of Carnap's linguistic frameworks, and I tend to appreciate Carnap as being valid. I don't know if you've heard of Carnap, or, if you have, if you've heard of his linguistic framework theory. Look it up; it's better an encylopaedia explain it to you than myself.

Maybe deep down you're afraid of showing some sort of weakness, and maybe you unconsciously think that showing tenderness and consideration shows weakness?

Certainly a possibility. With regards the second part of your question, I actually think anything that is illogical is weak. Perhaps it's not a case of changing my actual character, but rather what I consider to be weak.

I think so too (Ezra, correct us if we're mistaken). I think it probably has to do with her /him being an ENTJ 8w7.

Him. ;) The original Ezra:

ezra.jpg

I notice this with my ENTJ friend too: the failure to care about suffering -- especially in the wider world --- and pointing to it with statements "That's stupid!" and "I am too tired to care", though I'm sure there are also ENTJs who are compassionate.
That's certainly not like me, before you start drawing conclusions. It's not a failure to care; it's a recognition of the irrationality of caring, and a refusal to accept this as a character flaw. I've thought deep, long and hard about issues like human suffering - a damn sight more than most people - and I've reached these conclusions via logical means.

I realise that my disposition makes it sound like I have some kind of obsessive concern with logic and rationality; like a neuroses or something, but I honestly can't see any other way to counter what I think is, quite frankly... illogical! :D

What you call rationality is really getting lost in your personal value system, labeling everything as proper and improper, and trying to come up with something that sounds consistent.

Fair point.

But while doing so, you completely forget the fact that real people are suffering. Suffering gets reduced to a mere variable in an equation and you do lose your humanity. To me, this isn't really rationality. Rationality involves how you see patterns in the world. But you need to be open to seeing and experiencing what's real on a personal, intimate basis, not just as a philosophical game you play with your college friends.
When I see a tramp on the street, who is evidently suffering, I do not offer him help, even when he's going "spare change, please". That's personal, that's real, and I'm pretty fucking sure it has nothing to do with philosophy.

I get what you're saying, Ezra. It's not that you don't know that there's suffering, you just know that some suffering has to happen for anything to change. Compassion has nothing to do with sensitivity.

While I do agree, this isn't my point. My point is more like "it's not that I don't know that there's suffering, more that I cannot possibly care as a rational human being. Is there something wrong with me?"

Is there an observer/participant distinction to draw?

Compassion in an observer is one thing. It might well motive that observer to begin seeking better solutions across the board. If you see what I mean. They'd vote for different candidates based on those kinds of preferences, influence others over some beers, possibly promote different outcomes by exercise of their consumer choices.

ENTJ might find more it compelling to be compassionate as a participant. Either by considering the emo-pleas of other observers and taking some actions they suggest, or by joining the UN or the military or the government, or by using their own likely position in business.

Compassion is a fine thing, but perhaps disabling if there are no actions attached. And for something as big as, say, Gaza, perhaps the deal is not how much you can feel for the suffering of others, but how many meaningful actions you can attach to the emo-pleas of people you know.

To reach a decision about which action will be meaningful, you'll need to exercise both rationality and compassion.

Something like that, maybe.

A good distinction, Kalach, but, again, in this context it's irrelevant.

I think you need to get over yourself a little bit (not trying to be mean, but just saying). I mean, "sacrificing your intellectual integrity?" Are you saying it's impossible for an F type to be rational / intellectual?

See my point above about the irrationality of emotion by definition of the word.

I consider myself both of those things. Being rational and being compassionate are two different spheres, but not necessarily opposites, and they can be blended together without sacrificing the integrity of each.
I agree that they're two different spheres, but I do think they're opposites, and thus cannot be blended.

You are a human, and humans are, regardless of what you may believe, inherently subjective. We ain't machines. Even your fear of losing your "intellectual integrity" is based off of feelings. You can't run away from them, they're always gonna be there.

[...]

Being too "objective" often leads to people believe that there is actually a "right" answer to every question, and there just isn't. No one has sufficiently proven to me yet that 2+2=4. And your opinions are valid, regardless of whether they're based on feelings or facts (or, as is most likely the case, both), because both of those things are taken internally and processed based on how they make sense to you. Don't run away from either of them - embrace them both, and be who you want to be!
You're probably right.

First, at the basis of any rational thought lies assumptions which cannot be demontrasted. A rational thinking based on invalid assumptions may be perfectly logical but still invalid. As such, there is no such thing as perfectly rational thinking, but at best "logical" thinking that is more or less rational depending on the subjective evaluation of the basic assumptions.

Philosophers such as Kant arrived at views of moral behavior that state that people should treat others as they would like to be treated and act with others in such a way that their actions could become a universal law. Following this view, it is logical to want to help those people because that is treating others in a way in which you would like to be treated and that could be made into a universal law at the benefit of all.

Correct me if I'm wrong and if you would prefer not being helped if you were in Gaza.

Although I agree with your main point, I have some criticisms against Kant which you may be interested in hearing (please tell me if you are).

In terms of being in Gaza, I'd probably say "no". I value self-reliance and independence. I would only resort to help were it the case that I was completely incapacitated to help myself.

No, it isn't. I don't care about what others 'allow' me to have - I will have an opinion on whatever the hell I want, period. The issue is (ir)rational action, and how it relates to me.

Anyone claiming to be an 'amoralist' probably needs to be prepared to have their morality questioned.

Anyone claiming to be a 'womaniser' probably needs to be prepared to have their virginity questioned.

Yeah, it doesn't make sense, does it? Likewise. ;)

But ignoring the contradiction of your comment, I'm an amoralist in that I refuse to believe in the objectivity of morals. If morality exists, it is personal, and intersubjective.

Kangirl

I'm a star.
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Originally Posted by Wikipedia
Compassion is a profound human emotion prompted by the pain of others. More vigorous than empathy, the feeling commonly gives rise to an active desire to alleviate another's suffering.

The emotional side of us is non-intellectual, and thus irrational by definition. The only way we can discuss emotions in an intellectual way is through use of the analytic method...See my point above about the irrationality of emotion by definition of the word.

Your Wiki quote establishes nothing about the rationality of emotion - it merely describes compassion as an emotion. It's you who has assumed that anything emotional is by definition irrational.

Anyone claiming to be a 'womaniser' probably needs to be prepared to have their virginity questioned.

Yeah, it doesn't make sense, does it? Likewise

I don't understand how that doesn't make sense to you. If one claims to be an amoralist, then one should be prepared for others to claim that one has no morality, no??

While I do agree, this isn't my point. My point is more like "it's not that I don't know that there's suffering, more that I cannot possibly care as a rational human being. Is there something wrong with me?"

Why are you asking if anyone thinks something is "wrong" with you? You've clearly stated that you believe compassion is irrational. What more do you need? If it's your opinion that compassion is by definition irrational, then it follows that not feeling compassion is...rational. Which is how you've stated you want to live your life. Now, I completely disagree with you that compassion is always necessarily irrational (that's a separate conversation) but given your stated beliefs, I'm not seeing what your problem is.

If you really do want someone to answer the "do you think something is wrong with me" I'll say that my personal response is "yes, you don't sound entirely 'human' - it's possible you are telling the truth when you say suffering causes you to feel nothing, and in that case, I am unaware of any successful way to change one's feelings."

I would also ask you to flesh out the "I feel nothing when others suffer" stance. Do you *always* feel nothing? Do you feel nothing regardless of who it is suffering (eg. a stranger vs a parent)? Have you always felt nothing, even as small child?

Is there honestly no one else reading this thread who doesn't see a problem with the basic idea that anyone choosing to lead a rational life must not feel compassion in order to do so? Anyone? Are we all a bunch of irrational emotionalists if we happen to feel compassion in a given situation? Does anyone want to defend themselves against that claim?

Costrin

rawr
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
5w4
Is there honestly no one else reading this thread who doesn't see a problem with the basic idea that anyone choosing to lead a rational life must not feel compassion in order to do so? Anyone? Are we all a bunch of irrational emotionalists if we happen to feel compassion in a given situation? Does anyone want to defend themselves against that claim?

What is a rational life anyway? How is it defined? I don't think it exists, even in theory, because any action, taken for any reason, to accomplish any goal, is entirely subjective. For example:

Anecdote: Our driveway is long and narrow, and we got 3 cars parked there. Middle one, the person is not home yet so no key. Front car (my dad's). Last car, blocked in by the rest is mine. I needed to leave ASAP. So, I asked my dad to borrow his car, and when he goes out later, he could use mine. Makes logical sense. His is the in line. However...he refused, asking me to wait to get my car out. I was livid. It didn't make logical sense. Relay story to my F-disposed friend. Her response: Your dad knows you smoke and hates it, and he probably doesn't want to face it/inhale it, when he goes to sit in your car. Simple. Logical still. And, triumped me. That's value-based as you get. But, for some reason, it beats my logical reasoning. With a greater 'internal logic' of its own.

That supposed logical reasoning, actually wasn't any more logical the supposed value-based reasoning. They are actually both value-based reasoning, with different, but still subjective goals. The quoted person had the goal of being able to leave in his car quickly, while the dad had the goal of avoiding the smoke in the car. Which is logically superior? Neither.

As applies to compassion, it is alogical. It's entirely neutral to the question of logic or rationality. If you gain from feeling compassion, then it is logical to do so, if you don't then it wouldn't be (though not necessarily illogical, unless feeling compassion effected you negatively). Emotions clearly have a use, they allow people to connect and work together, they give life a purpose, a goal. For this reason it can be rational to indulge in them. To say that they aren't rational though, is an irrational claim in itself, as emotions are inherently neither rational or irrational. It depends entirely on your goals.

imo

Kangirl

I'm a star.
MBTI Type
ENTJ
What is a rational life anyway? How is it defined? I don't think it exists, even in theory, because any action, taken for any reason, to accomplish any goal, is entirely subjective.

That's what I'm getting at, Costrin.

That supposed logical reasoning, actually wasn't any more logical the supposed value-based reasoning. They are actually both value-based reasoning, with different, but still subjective goals. The quoted person had the goal of being able to leave in his car quickly, while the dad had the goal of avoiding the smoke in the car. Which is logically superior? Neither.

My thoughts on the situation exactly. Someone wanted his car right away and acted rationally based on that. Someone else didn't want smoke in his car, and acted equally rationally, based on that.

Qre:us

What is a rational life anyway? How is it defined? I don't think it exists, even in theory, because any action, taken for any reason, to accomplish any goal, is entirely subjective. For example:

imo

That's what I'm getting at, Costrin.

My thoughts on the situation exactly. Someone wanted his car right away and acted rationally based on that. Someone else didn't want smoke in his car, and acted equally rationally, based on that.

There may be a very good reason why it's so hard to pin down a succint yet comprehensive definition to logic. But, it still adheres to some basic formula of argument. At its core, it is the principles of correct reasoning. Not right reasoning. It is a thought-process, not a thought - this logic. It is where the conclusion can be accurately predicted by its stated opening assumptions/rules/facts/principles/premise/condition(s). It doesn't matter how far-fetched the assumptions can be. Logic is not the thought, but, the thought-process.

Statement: Twigs is a penguin, and thus he hums.
Twigs is a pengin.
Penguins hum.

* doesn't matter how irrational the premise may be. It is only about the conclusion supporting the premise correctly, not rightly, or wrongly...but correctly.

End point: My dad and I both *needed* cars to leave.

I had to leave right away as someone was waiting for me, while he spared the extra 10 minutes to get the car sorted out. Either way, as you've pointed out, either of these situations are value-based. Me needing to leave earlier. Him avoiding smoke vs. time. These are both of our value-based thoughts. I had them, the thoughts of needing to leave early, they were my value-based justification for my side. Just like the smoke was a value-based justification for my dad's side. But, it is not the discord in justification that is a breach in logic. It is the situation irrespective of any value-based justification. I.e., take either side out. Mine or his. What would we do in this siuation? What is the thought-process (not the thought)? That there is logic. Logic has one steadfast rule: it doesn't permit contradiction.

Thus, when you look at the logic of a situation, just like you apply objectivity to the conclusion, so must you then start with objectivity to the premise/assumption. I.e., does it follow a correct thought-process rising from the premise, regardless of any judgement to the premise, either way?

Two conditions: A & B

A
Statement: Dad & Q will both need to leave in car.
Car is needed to leave.
Dad & Q both needed to leave.

B
Statement:To use car 2, car 1 will need to be moved from the front.
Car 1 is in front of car 2.
Thus, car 2 is blocked.

Conditional probability (given that humans are involved ;)): P (A|B)

Probability of A given B. Probability of Dad & Q both leaving will depend on the sequence of cars.

I gave my pov, and my dad's in the above anecdote. However, I thought it was pretty apparent what the basic logical process of the situation would be. Thus, if both needs to leave, both uses cars. 2 cars. Person 1 leaves - in car. Person 2 leaves - in car. Car 1 in front of car 2. Now, how/which car one uses, how fast this happens...irrelevant. Car needed to leave. You leave. Take car. Which car each of us use, is a subjective 'why' Q. That was not the inherent logic I was making a case for. It just so happened that my side/reasoning did nothing to disrupt the sequence of the inherent logic of the situation. It would't break any rules of the given A & B. My dad's side would add convolution/break rules in deductive logic of given A & B - as in order to leave, we have to adhere to a given sequence of car, and his position asks me to overlook the sequence of cars (which doesn't gel with situation B). That there is the difference.

Now, why one needs to adhere to using car 2, and another strictly car 1, even if blocked, or, whether one wants to leave faster or slower is irrelevant to the situation of needing to leave...in cars.

When you question something as value-based, think first of the premise/assumption from which you start and whether that itself is an objective premise or actually a value-based judgement placed on the situation.

Maverick

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Although I agree with your main point, I have some criticisms against Kant which you may be interested in hearing (please tell me if you are).

In terms of being in Gaza, I'd probably say "no". I value self-reliance and independence. I would only resort to help were it the case that I was completely incapacitated to help myself.

Yes, I would be interested in hearing them - in a dedicated thread as to not derail this topic.

As for the second part of your answer, if you were prefer not being helped, then your stance is rational and moral from a Kantian perspective.

Now, I completely disagree with you that compassion is always necessarily irrational (that's a separate conversation) but given your stated beliefs, I'm not seeing what your problem is.

Interesting for a seperate conversation, but on a sidenote some theories would consider a feeling such as compassion to follow from a cognitive (i.e. thought based) appraisal of a situation.

If you really do want someone to answer the "do you think something is wrong with me" I'll say that my personal response is "yes, you don't sound entirely 'human' - it's possible you are telling the truth when you say suffering causes you to feel nothing, and in that case, I am unaware of any successful way to change one's feelings."

Again for a seperate conversation: define "human" and define "wrong/right" in terms of personality/cognitive orientation. This is a value based judgment.

I would also ask you to flesh out the "I feel nothing when others suffer" stance. Do you *always* feel nothing? Do you feel nothing regardless of who it is suffering (eg. a stranger vs a parent)? Have you always felt nothing, even as small child?

See above.

What is being "rational"? Is it having an absence of emotion, or a trigger of emotion which is based on an accurate appraisal of a situation? Is it even possible to be motivated to be rational without emotion? This question is so complex and at the center of many philosophical debates. I don't think we can discuss this here without significantly derailing this thread - hence this is not worth debating any longer here but could be an interesting new topic.

Ezra

Luctor et emergo
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Your Wiki quote establishes nothing about the rationality of emotion - it merely describes compassion as an emotion. It's you who has assumed that anything emotional is by definition irrational.

Okay, just search "emotion" and "irrational" in Google, and you'll have a spate of articles and stories about the kind of thing I'm talking about.

I don't understand how that doesn't make sense to you. If one claims to be an amoralist, then one should be prepared for others to claim that one has no morality, no??

Ahhh, but that's not what you said at first. You said "an amoralist should be prepared to have their morality questioned", which is contradictory because an amoralist has no morality. Now you've changed your response slightly, it makes sense.

Why are you asking if anyone thinks something is "wrong" with you? You've clearly stated that you believe compassion is irrational. What more do you need? If it's your opinion that compassion is by definition irrational, then it follows that not feeling compassion is...rational. Which is how you've stated you want to live your life. Now, I completely disagree with you that compassion is always necessarily irrational (that's a separate conversation) but given your stated beliefs, I'm not seeing what your problem is.

Having thought about it further, I don't think it's the case that I'm impervious to thoughts like "THAT IS WRONG"; simply that I'm a hard bastard and it takes far, far more for me to make those kinds of judgements that it does for many other people; that is, to be moved in such a way as to act to help certain people.

One might argue that it is easier to see logical reasoning than value-based reasoning, even though in the end, both are value-based. For example, his father's reasoning amounted to "I don't like smoke in my car", which you can't attack any further, because it's a belief. In the case of logical reasoning, it would go something like this:

"I need to get out."
"Why?"
"Because it's quicker and more effective."
"And why is quick and effectiveness better?"
"Because one can achieve more."
"And why is achieving more rather than less better?"

And so on, and so forth, until the logical reasoner came to the conclusion that "I like furthering my own agenda" or "I like praise from others" or something like that, again, a belief which cannot be attacked further.

To say that they aren't rational though, is an irrational claim in itself, as emotions are inherently neither rational or irrational. It depends entirely on your goals.

Insofar as logical reasoning is based on the rational part of our claim, emotions being the opposite of logic, they are irrational.

As for the second part of your answer, if you were prefer not being helped, then your stance is rational and moral from a Kantian perspective.

But even if it wasn't rational on Kant's grounds, that wouldn't make me change my opinion of what I should or shouldn't do.

CrystalViolet

lab rat extraordinaire
MBTI Type
XNFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
You've managed to justified to yourself why compassion is irrational, and tried to define logic as well. Why ask the question in the first place, if you are unwilling to consider the arguments? As far as I can see you are arguing circular arguments which lead you back to your original position. You need to explore some of the points to their conclusions.
Compassion is logical in some circumstances, such as Nurse/Patient dynamics, a patient will get better quicker if their nurses and carers show compassion (therefore personal interest in the patient's well being), rather than being in a detached, impersonal environment. Compassion in this instance, involves action, such as making sure the patient has enough pain relief.
Compassion where no action can really be taken, isn't logical, as you would be feeling it for feelings sake - such as your example of the the situation in Gaza, but I don't think compassion is irrational when acting on it leads to improvement, such as my example with the nurse and the patient.

BlackCat

Shaman
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
You could just drop the entire thing. Other people (other ENTJs for that matter) are compassionate, and they stay logical. I don't see an issue. It will just make people trust you more really if you are compassionate.

Ezra

Luctor et emergo
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Compassion is logical in some circumstances, such as Nurse/Patient dynamics, a patient will get better quicker if their nurses and carers show compassion (therefore personal interest in the patient's well being), rather than being in a detached, impersonal environment. Compassion in this instance, involves action, such as making sure the patient has enough pain relief.

Is that genuine compassion, though? It appears to be a kind of "pseudo-care" for the patient in order to become more effective.

Compassion where no action can really be taken, isn't logical, as you would be feeling it for feelings sake - such as your example of the the situation in Gaza, but I don't think compassion is irrational when acting on it leads to improvement, such as my example with the nurse and the patient.

It's still driven by an innately irrational process, though.

Costrin

rawr
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
5w4
There may be a very good reason why it's so hard to pin down a succint yet comprehensive definition to logic. But, it still adheres to some basic formula of argument. At its core, it is the principles of correct reasoning. Not right reasoning. It is a thought-process, not a thought - this logic. It is where the conclusion can be accurately predicted by its stated opening assumptions/rules/facts/principles/premise/condition(s). It doesn't matter how far-fetched the assumptions can be. Logic is not the thought, but, the thought-process.

Statement: Twigs is a penguin, and thus he hums.
Twigs is a pengin.
Penguins hum.

* doesn't matter how irrational the premise may be. It is only about the conclusion supporting the premise correctly, not rightly, or wrongly...but correctly.

Sure, logic "exists", but a logical life, a rational life? I don't think that those exist, not even in theory.

End point: My dad and I both *needed* cars to leave.

Which is value-based, which is what I'm getting at, because in actuality, you didn't need a car to leave. You could have used any of the millions of other options, or not left at all.

I had to leave right away as someone was waiting for me, while he spared the extra 10 minutes to get the car sorted out. Either way, as you've pointed out, either of these situations are value-based. Me needing to leave earlier. Him avoiding smoke vs. time. These are both of our value-based thoughts. I had them, the thoughts of needing to leave early, they were my value-based justification for my side. Just like the smoke was a value-based justification for my dad's side. But, it is not the discord in justification that is a breach in logic. It is the situation irrespective of any value-based justification. I.e., take either side out. Mine or his. What would we do in this siuation? What is the thought-process (not the thought)? That there is logic. Logic has one steadfast rule: it doesn't permit contradiction.

Ok....

Thus, when you look at the logic of a situation, just like you apply objectivity to the conclusion, so must you then start with objectivity to the premise/assumption. I.e., does it follow a correct thought-process rising from the premise, regardless of any judgement to the premise, either way?

Two conditions: A & B

A
Statement: Dad & Q will both need to leave in car.
Car is needed to leave.
Dad & Q both needed to leave.

B
Statement:To use car 2, car 1 will need to be moved from the front.
Car 1 is in front of car 2.
Thus, car 2 is blocked.

Conditional probability (given that humans are involved ;)): P (A|B)

Probability of A given B. Probability of Dad & Q both leaving will depend on the sequence of cars.

Mhmm....

I gave my pov, and my dad's in the above anecdote. However, I thought it was pretty apparent what the basic logical process of the situation would be. Thus, if both needs to leave, both uses cars. 2 cars. Person 1 leaves - in car. Person 2 leaves - in car. Car 1 in front of car 2. Now, how/which car one uses, how fast this happens...irrelevant. Car needed to leave. You leave. Take car. Which car each of us use, is a subjective 'why' Q. That was not the inherent logic I was making a case for. It just so happened that my side/reasoning did nothing to disrupt the sequence of the inherent logic of the situation. It would't break any rules of the given A & B. My dad's side would add convolution/break rules in deductive logic of given A & B - as in order to leave, we have to adhere to a given sequence of car, and his position asks me to overlook the sequence of cars (which doesn't gel with situation B). That there is the difference.

Now, why one needs to adhere to using car 2, and another strictly car 1, even if blocked, or, whether one wants to leave faster or slower is irrelevant to the situation of needing to leave...in cars.

Here is what you're forgetting. You left off entirely a premise. No person has just one goal, they have multiple priorities, and they must weigh the cost and benefits of them all the time to determine what actions to take (which is subjective). Your dad had the goal of avoiding the smoke in his car. At the time, this was a higher priority than leaving quickly. Therefore, his decision does not contradict the premise. You clearly did not have this priority, so from your perspective, waiting the extra 10 minutes was illogical. But even then, you did it, because you had the priority of wishing to maintain a good relationship with your dad (or something similar), so it wasn't actually illogical.

When you question something as value-based, think first of the premise/assumption from which you start and whether that itself is an objective premise or actually a value-based judgement placed on the situation.

But an entirely objective premise cannot be made in regards to human goals. Every goal is entirely subjective. The only objective premises that exist are natural laws, physics n' such.

Costrin

rawr
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
5w4
Ahhh, but that's not what you said at first. You said "an amoralist should be prepared to have their morality questioned", which is contradictory because an amoralist has no morality. Now you've changed your response slightly, it makes sense.

Not necessarily. Even if it makes no sense to question an amoralists morality, it will be done, which is what that statement was saying.

One might argue that it is easier to see logical reasoning than value-based reasoning, even though in the end, both are value-based. For example, his father's reasoning amounted to "I don't like smoke in my car", which you can't attack any further, because it's a belief. In the case of logical reasoning, it would go something like this:

"I need to get out."
"Why?"
"Because it's quicker and more effective."
"And why is quick and effectiveness better?"
"Because one can achieve more."
"And why is achieving more rather than less better?"

And so on, and so forth, until the logical reasoner came to the conclusion that "I like furthering my own agenda" or "I like praise from others" or something like that, again, a belief which cannot be attacked further.

Pretty much. Although you could possibly extend the "I don't like smoke in my car" a bit further.

Insofar as logical reasoning is based on the rational part of our claim, emotions being the opposite of logic, they are irrational.

How are emotions the opposite of logic? If logic is as defined earlier in this thread, a direct linear deduction from a set of premises, where the conclusion must be true. Are emotions defined as the opposite of that? I don't think so, they are just a response to certain stimuli. So they are not a dichotomy with logic. Rather though, they are logical (but not logic), in that if you had all the information, theoretically you could predict the emotional response to something.

Is that genuine compassion, though? It appears to be a kind of "pseudo-care" for the patient in order to become more effective.

If the nurse is actually feeling compassion, than it is compassion. If the nurse is faking compassion, than it isn't compassion. What is the difference from the patients point of view? None, assuming the facade was good enough.

See above. Also, even if it was an innately irrational process, where you couldn't predict it, not even offer up percentages of certain emotional responses, than does it really matter? If it really was entirely unpredictable, then you wouldn't be able to control it, to repress it, you wouldn't be making this topic, as either you show compassion, or not. Clearly that's not the case, though.

Ultimately, if you want to feel compassion, then you need to find out under what set of circumstances this happens for you, and set up those circumstances. If you don't want to feel compassion, then don't do that.

If you don't see the point, then consider that emotions can aid in achieving your subjective goal, and that would be rational.

Herr Strabenhauser

MBTI Type
INTP
I haven't had time to read this thread entirely but if you think the US or UK are anything close to neutral in the Israel-Palestine question you do not have a rational grasp of the situation. The Israeli state was founded by englishmen, and americans have given them one of the world's strongest militaries for free and unconditionally. I agree entirely that western countries should stay neutral in the conflict for the same reason but that is NOT what is happening now.

I'll get back to this thread later.

Kangirl

I'm a star.
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Not necessarily. Even if it makes no sense to question an amoralists morality, it will be done, which is what that statement was saying.

Yep, that was my point. I like it when you're around, Costrin. Succinctness = yay!

Okay, just search "emotion" and "irrational" in Google, and you'll have a spate of articles and stories about the kind of thing I'm talking about.

This proves nothing. If this is the type of thing you're offering up as proof, you need to be more careful about claims to be leading a purely rational life.

Someone else mentioned this above but I'll comment as well - your reasoning seems circular on this specific 'emotions are by definition irrational' claim you keep repeating. Do you have more to provide in support of this claim (i.e. more than Google searches)?

Also, can you clear up why you posted this thread? I'm still not really getting what you're after in terms of responses...do you want people to shoot you down and call you cold? Agree with you that emotions are irrational? What?

And just to be clear about my POV, I do not agree at all that emotions are always/by definition irrational. I am trying to get at why you seem to believe/assume this.

CrystalViolet

lab rat extraordinaire
MBTI Type
XNFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

Ezra,
You just proved my point. You are using circular arguments.
For a nurse, not to feel compassion, or any other value judgement for that matter, what would then be the underlying motivation to provide care for the patient. It would be a very odd way of making money, if you have no driving need to care for others. In that case, what then would stop said nurse from abandoning all her charges. In some respects compassion is what can make a rotten job palitable.

If the nurse is actually feeling compassion, than it is compassion. If the nurse is faking compassion, than it isn't compassion. What is the difference from the patients point of view? None, assuming the facade was good enough.
This is a good point from the patient point of view. Although, I would say genuine compassion is hard to fake, unless there is some alternative motivation such as curiosity, devotion to the doctor etc.

Rationality is trying to make sense and order. Irrationality is the opposite.
Compassion is a driving need to make things better, making sense and order out of terrible things, therefore it isn't less rational than being an impartial observer. In fact it could be seen as more rational in some circumstances.

Although it comes down this, we could argue till the cows come home, but you've boxed yourself into your position, and have started flinging out what is becoming flawed logic, in defense of your position.

I'm going to change tack here though and say compassion is about personal investment. If you have no personal investment in the situation, then I would say it's fine not to feel compassion. It would be irrational to display compassion under that circumstance.
However when you do have personal investment, such the nurse taking care of the patient, with personal integrity and reputation, then it is rational to display compassion.

Last edited:

Ezra

Luctor et emergo
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

Okay, fair enough. However, firstly, this wasn't made clear, and, secondly, you didn't make the statement, so couldn't possibly completely understand Kangirl's motivation for saying what she did, even if she did affirm it with "I like it when you're around". For all you know she could've made that statement because you rescued her from a shithole which she created for herself.

Pretty much. Although you could possibly extend the "I don't like smoke in my car" a bit further.

Probably, yes.

How are emotions the opposite of logic? If logic is as defined earlier in this thread, a direct linear deduction from a set of premises, where the conclusion must be true. Are emotions defined as the opposite of that? I don't think so, they are just a response to certain stimuli. So they are not a dichotomy with logic. Rather though, they are logical (but not logic), in that if you had all the information, theoretically you could predict the emotional response to something.

Emotions are subjective, logic is - within its framework - objective.

In this case I'd doubt the truth of the theory that compassion of a nurse helps the patient to recover quicker.

See above. Also, even if it was an innately irrational process, where you couldn't predict it, not even offer up percentages of certain emotional responses, than does it really matter?

Not unless I'm disturbed by people's reactions to my dispassionate nature. Which I am.

Ultimately, if you want to feel compassion, then you need to find out under what set of circumstances this happens for you, and set up those circumstances. If you don't want to feel compassion, then don't do that.

Okay, this is becoming fruitless. Not because you're wrong (on the contrary, you're probably right), but just because the thread lost its original meaning and/or I've pinpointed the way I think much better.

If you don't see the point, then consider that emotions can aid in achieving your subjective goal, and that would be rational.

Yes, that's a good point.

This proves nothing. If this is the type of thing you're offering up as proof, you need to be more careful about claims to be leading a purely rational life.

Someone else mentioned this above but I'll comment as well - your reasoning seems circular on this specific 'emotions are by definition irrational' claim you keep repeating. Do you have more to provide in support of this claim (i.e. more than Google searches)?

I really don't see how I need to support a self-evident truth. How are emotions not irrational by definition of the terms "emotion" and "irrational"? I just cannot see how people who cannot see this cannot see it.

Also, can you clear up why you posted this thread? I'm still not really getting what you're after in terms of responses...do you want people to shoot you down and call you cold? Agree with you that emotions are irrational? What?

Right, initially, it was because I wanted to know if people were right in condemning me for having no tolerance for emotional values. Since then, it's become obvious that they are not right, but they are not wrong either.

Thus, essentially, the point of this thread has been made redundant. The conclusion I've reached is that I should accept my natural capacities for reason and emotional responsiveness as they are. There is nothing more left to discuss in my eyes, but if you see anything else, please raise it. Everything else: let it be confined to the dust.

And just to be clear about my POV, I do not agree at all that emotions are always/by definition irrational. I am trying to get at why you seem to believe/assume this.

Okay, well, since I hold it as a self-evident truth, this is going to be extremely difficult. I think the best way of doing this would be to do a kind of dialogue, which would find either flaws in my reasoning, or help you get to the deeper levels of why I think how I do.

Let me start.

Would you agree that there are two parts to the self - an irrational and a rational part? (Arational actions - thus not "parts" of the self - include eating, drinking, procreating etc.; since they are animalistic; we do this because it is what we do as human beings, so leave these kinds of actions out.)

In that case, what then would stop said nurse from abandoning all her charges.

A paycheck?

Rationality is trying to make sense and order. Irrationality is the opposite. Compassion is a driving need to make things better, making sense and order out of terrible things, therefore it isn't less rational than being an impartial observer. In fact it could be seen as more rational in some circumstances.

Debatable. I see sense and order in the actions of Israel, as do many others. To my mind, other people - more compassionate people - do not. But since they are compassionate, to your mind, they must be making sense and order, and I must not be. We have two conflicting positions, neither of which can be justified. Again, we come down to belief, where your belief clashes with mine, and we cannot back up our beliefs, because beliefs are supposed to be self-evident.

Although it comes down this, we could argue till the cows come home, but you've boxed yourself into your position, and have started flinging out what is becoming flawed logic, in defense of your position.

I am using exactly the same method as you.

I'm going to change tack here though and say compassion is about personal investment. If you have no personal investment in the situation, then I would say it's fine not to feel compassion. It would be irrational to display compassion under that circumstance.
However when you do have personal investment, such the nurse taking care of the patient, with personal integrity and reputation, then it is rational to display compassion.

But that's not what compassion is. Compassion is an altruistic desire to help others. If you're terming it as something else, everything that has come before what you've just said is rendered useless, because every person in this thread is talking cross-purposes with you (and, possibly and even worse, with one another).

Kangirl

I'm a star.
MBTI Type
ENTJ
For all you know she could've made that statement because you rescued her from a shithole which she created for herself.

Now now. Costrin *did* get what I was saying - and I still don't think what I was saying was cryptic or confusing.

I really don't see how I need to support a self-evident truth.

You know, bringing up the whole 'logical fallacy' thing is admittedly boring and often pretentious but is this not a case of begging the question (short definition: the proposition to be proved is assumed implicitly or explicitly in one of the premises)? People are asking you to *prove* that emotions = always irrational. So far, you haven't done a good job, and you've been provided with a number of examples of emotions being rational. Just because you think it's a self-evident truth doesn't mean it is. And don't ask me to prove it *isn't* - it's your claim, and your task to defend it.