1 33.33%
  • Hug?

0 0%
12 Last

MBTI
    ENTP

Default NT's on Semiotics...

Whadduyathink?

Is Semiotics just more psyco-bull or does it really impact peoples understanding......?

think lift symbols, CND, fast forward etc....

Lis

MBTI
    ENTP

sorry the penultimate is suppose to say works some of the time, I can't edit....

Senior Member Misty_Mountain_Rose's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

I'm not catching the purpose of the poll. My understanding is that Semiotics is essentially a study of symbols and patterns of communication within a culure.

Whether or not its 'nonsense' or 'impactful' seem weird questions given my understanding of what it is.
    Embrace the possibilities.

MBTI
    ENTP

Ok maybe I've phrased it wrong,

Semiotics is the study of symbols, people can intuatively understand symbols without explanation.

The Symbol for CND is an ancient Rune for Peace
    The Symbol for the Nazi party (swastica) is the inverse of an Indian symbol of peace or enlightnment etc (I think not sure what the exct meaning is, but it's a really big impact in a certain religion and pre WWII it was used massively in US marketing)
    The Symbol for lifts door open/closed are not traditional symbols - and seem more difficult for people to understand.

Ok maybe this is not a poll-able topic.

L

Senior Member Misty_Mountain_Rose's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Actually, most symbols that mean something aren't intuitive, and I think are only given meaning by their culture. For example... give the 'Rock On' sign in Spain and you're essentially telling a guy that his wife is a whore and sleeping around on him.

Many symbols that are portrayed as 'evil' were cast that way by past dynasties that wanted to stamp out the influence of a previous ruler or religion.

Its interesting stuff.
    Embrace the possibilities.

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram

There is actually a sign for telling people your wife is a whore and sleeps with other guys ? Unbelievable
    [URL]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEBvftJUwDw&t=0s[/URL]

MBTI
    INFP

Misty's referring to the "hook 'em horns" sign. Or the "Satan" sign. The fist with the index and little fingers extended.

In medieval Europe that was the sign of the horns and indicated to a man that his wife had betrayed him. Had hung horns on him, and I don't know the context of that. But I think it was actually used as an insult, rather than an indicator of truth.

Sorta like saying, "Your grandma. . ."
    "No ray of sunshine is ever lost, but the green which it awakes into existence needs time to sprout, and it is not always granted to the sower to see the harvest. All work that is worth anything is done in faith." - Albert Schweitzer

MBTI
    INFP

I don't know, tinkerbell. The question is, "Are there universal symbols which all can intuit the meaning of?"

Gotta think about that. Like rocking one's arms as a symbol for "baby?" That must be universally recognized.

Or are you only talking about written symbols?
    "No ray of sunshine is ever lost, but the green which it awakes into existence needs time to sprout, and it is not always granted to the sower to see the harvest. All work that is worth anything is done in faith." - Albert Schweitzer

MBTI
    ENTP

Hi Anja

There are certainly global symbols, most of which are bedded in tradition. But there are also a fair few modern ones too, some of which people get others which people don't get.

I always screw up the door open button in lifts, there is somethign wrong with the sign that is not intuative. I'm not the only person to hit closed when you want open. Thats what I really mean by intuative, ones you just get.....

Lis

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

I agree with Misty's definition of semiotics more than the one that was originally given here... it's the examination of signs within a culture, which might or might not be universally intuitive.... and the signs carry a lot of information that most people aren't even aware that they are digesting or responding to, but you need to understand the meaning of the signs if you're going to unpack meaning correctly.

I don't think this particular discussion is about semiotics per se, it's about "bad communication" in regards to the design of signs that really don't convey general information to everyone clearly.

Even then, it's kind of hard to evaluate signs just by isolated anecdote. I was a technical writer for a number of years, and you're always going to find a small percentage readers that just don't get a particular exchange no matter how it's tailored. Same thing with icon creation... although I've seen great icons as well as awful icons.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft